YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Phil Hernon...thank you for your one liner...

Stayinfit

Registered
a few weeks back you sd. "squats 3 days a week. go high to low reps, low to high reps, half reps, full reps etc." Something like that. Anyway, that week I took your advice. Uh, well, in just those three weeks my strength, although I am using supps, has skyrocketed and I see growth just in that time frame. That was some of the best advice I've ever gotten. Mon, Wed, Friday I squat. Wed. is leg day anyway and I do squats last that day, but Mon and Friday before I do any other bodypart I warm up and do 3 sets of squats. First set is 15 reps, second is 10 and third is 5 reps and I try to make those last 2-3 reps very very hard to complete. I also will do 2 partials, then a full, then one partial and two full reps and so on and so on. I mix it up. This morning I squated 245 for 15 reps. THANK YOU!!!! Last week I was only doing 225 for that.

I noticed this morning my love for squating has grown as well. Most likely because of the results. When I got done with my third set I actually wanted to do another set!

Again, thank you Phil. I appreciate everything you have to offer this board.

::ction-sm::ction-sm

Mr Hernon knows his stuff!!! :D

Can you go into more detail?

Do you mean like on a monday say its shoulder day, do you finish your shoulders then do like 3 sets of squats?

Do the same on wed after say back day you do squats after the back session is finished?

a few weeks back you sd. "squats 3 days a week. go high to low reps, low to high reps, half reps, full reps etc." Something like that. Anyway, that week I took your advice. Uh, well, in just those three weeks my strength, although I am using supps, has skyrocketed and I see growth just in that time frame. That was some of the best advice I've ever gotten. Mon, Wed, Friday I squat. Wed. is leg day anyway and I do squats last that day, but Mon and Friday before I do any other bodypart I warm up and do 3 sets of squats. First set is 15 reps, second is 10 and third is 5 reps and I try to make those last 2-3 reps very very hard to complete. I also will do 2 partials, then a full, then one partial and two full reps and so on and so on. I mix it up. This morning I squated 245 for 15 reps. THANK YOU!!!! Last week I was only doing 225 for that.

I noticed this morning my love for squating has grown as well. Most likely because of the results. When I got done with my third set I actually wanted to do another set!

Again, thank you Phil. I appreciate everything you have to offer this board.
In case you missed his in detail part.

Wasnt long awake, i re-read and understand now :p

detail

:) MOndays are generally my abs, calves but now I added the squats first in the routine. I warm up on the treadmill for 10 minutes at the highest incline, speed at 3.0 and take long strides warming up the whole leg and glutes. I then go to the leg extensions and do 3 sets 15 with a light weight just to get the knees even more warmed up. My knees are not in the best shape. In fact this afternoon I am noticing tenderness in the area so be careful to really warm up each squat day. It's not too bad of a pain it is noticeable though.

Wed is in fact leg day and I like doing leg ext. first followed by presses and adductor and abductor exercises then squat last and my knees love me for it I'm sure.

Fridays is Back day and I again do the same warmup as Monday then do my 3 sets of squats then rest two minutes then right into back routine.

I decided to do squats first on mon and fri only cuz I want to focus my energy on that exercise cuz i'm known to get a lil lazy and if I waited til the end I probably wouldn't go as hard on em.

Squats 3 times a week is awesome but brutal. Just don't neglect the hams and posterior chain

Wouldn't other body parts suffer from doing this method?

I mean it'd be hard to do deads + squats in the same day due to lower back being sore/tired.

or have you guys found success in just added squats to your workout at the end of your session?

I work out MWF doing DC training

Wouldn't other body parts suffer from doing this method?

I mean it'd be hard to do deads + squats in the same day due to lower back being sore/tired.

or have you guys found success in just added squats to your workout at the end of your session?

I work out MWF doing DC training

Not speaking for phil, but if I remember correctly, phil said no need to do deads when doing this work out. if I've mis-spoke, my apologies.

On my normal leg day I do hit hamstrings last and then I do hamstrings again on Sundays. I do them twice cuz after quad workout I'm worn out and I dont hit em as hard so I dedicate sunday to em.

I quit doing deads since I do stiff leg deads for hamstrings.

Other bodyparts suffer? It's only 3 good sets on Mon and Fri. after warmup the whole squat thing only takes 5-8 minutes. I only rest 60 seconds between sets.

Also I noticed the only thing I get from deads is a lower back that feels like a ball bat has been taken to it and in my line of work, construction, I do alot of bending and such and it just gets hit waaaay to much. I'm growing and my back is lookin ok from what I've been told so I don't see a need for deads anymore.

Last edited:
I belie a few (or at least one ) 5x5 strength routine is based around 3x a week ..

it works but it ain't for this fella!

Im doing the same thing now too. Varying the reps has killed me. Usually i never go over 6. My all time best was 585x4, but 405x11 followed by 275x15 kicked my ass.

I did the smolov squat program a few years ago. a lot of people think if you squat > 3 times a week you'll be over training. truth is, your body get used to it really fast.

believer

I did the smolov squat program a few years ago. a lot of people think if you squat > 3 times a week you'll be over training. truth is, your body get used to it really fast.

I'm a believer in that for sure.

I noticed over the last few months I was doing lots of various rep schemes on leg press, vertical leg press, and hack squat to bring up my quads. I convinced myself it would help. It did not.

The last month I ditched everything and went back to squats only twice a week w/ a decent amount of volume and a boat load of intensity, keeping leg curls, SLDL, and walking lunges in for a few sets as accessory work. Result...over an inch of growth w/ better sweep, better cuts, and strength gains on just about every other exercise to boot.

Moral of the story...shut up and squat.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner