advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Physical therapy worth the money for treatment?

So what is it that the "results-producing chiro" is going to do that is so beneficial that a good manual physical therapist isn't able to also do? Not trying to open up a can of worms here comparing DC's to PT's but you have basically said for a muscle strain that PT is useless but Chiro is top priority.

Also, you may feel based on your experiences that PT is useless for a muscle strain of this nature, but your initial comments were that with a token amount of kinesiology he could do BETTER than most PT's. Perhaps you may want to reword that because those initial remarks say something completely different.

So what do you think from what ive posted?

So what is it that the "results-producing chiro" is going to do that is so beneficial that a good manual physical therapist isn't able to also do? Not trying to open up a can of worms here comparing DC's to PT's but you have basically said for a muscle strain that PT is useless but Chiro is top priority.

Also, you may feel based on your experiences that PT is useless for a muscle strain of this nature, but your initial comments were that with a token amount of kinesiology he could do BETTER than most PT's. Perhaps you may want to reword that because those initial remarks say something completely different.

I'm not saying he'll be able to manually work on the area, I'm saying he could probably figure out his own exercise regimen if he has a basic understanding of kinesiology.

I suppose if a good PT is also schooled in chiro, sure why not? Would that include adjustment, some deep tissue work and all the other PT trimmings?

I wouldn't pay that much money to a PT to alleviate a muscle strain without exhausting the chiro/masseuse route first. I would cease any activity that might exacerbate the condition. I would first determine if my ailment is due to a bone being out of place, which I believe it most likely would be, because from my experience this has most often been the case.

Get the bones back in place first, (with the help of a competent chiro) then if the symptoms didn't subside after a couple weeks or so of some deep tissue work, THEN and only then would I consider dropping over $100 per visit for a PT.

What can I say? I'm cheap and I know better.

So what do you think from what ive posted?

I think the key to resolving the issue and preventing further damage is to first find out what the actual cause is and assess the initial damage. In other words, was this injury due to improper form or was it due to a muscle imbalance that was provoked by the dips. A good therapist should be able to tell through posture, palpation, etc... what is going on. The key is finding a "good" therapist and not an "average" therapist. However, I also agree that a "good" chiropractor could do the same. With all that said, if we are just dealing with a minor strain that is caused by nothing else than going too deep, too much weight, improper form, etc.. then you are better off saving your money and letting it heal on your own or maybe going for 1 treatment to have someone show you what stretches and/or exercises will help it heal quicker as well as what to avoid.

I'm not saying he'll be able to manually work on the area, I'm saying he could probably figure out his own exercise regimen if he has a basic understanding of kinesiology.

Agreed, in most cases.

I suppose if a good PT is also schooled in chiro, sure why not? Would that include adjustment, some deep tissue work and all the other PT trimmings?

There are a fair amount of manual therapists out there that can do some amazing soft tissue work and mobilization/manipulations.

I wouldn't pay that much money to a PT to alleviate a muscle strain without exhausting the chiro/masseuse route first. I would cease any activity that might exacerbate the condition. I would first determine if my ailment is due to a bone being out of place, which I believe it most likely would be, because from my experience this has most often been the case.

Get the bones back in place first, (with the help of a competent chiro) then if the symptoms didn't subside after a couple weeks or so of some deep tissue work, THEN and only then would I consider dropping over $100 per visit for a PT.

What can I say? I'm cheap and I know better.

Agreed mostly, however, you have to consider if the bone is out of place, sometimes it is out of place because a strained/tight muscle is pulling it out of place. Therefore putting it back into place only puts greater stress on the injured muscle and can aggravate it further. In other words, the soft tissue work needs to be done in coordination with putting the bone back into place.

I would shop around and try different PTs. It is very rare to find a PT that is worth the money and actually helps you.

Agreed mostly, however, you have to consider if the bone is out of place, sometimes it is out of place because a strained/tight muscle is pulling it out of place. Therefore putting it back into place only puts greater stress on the injured muscle and can aggravate it further. In other words, the soft tissue work needs to be done in coordination with putting the bone back into place.

Thank you for that. Yes, you are right.

My chiro is great like that. She always loosens up the muscles, by hand (she's a strong Nordic woman) and with the electric massager, before moving bones. I get a deep tissue massage and an adjustment for $40. I'm spoiled.

I would shop around and try different PTs. It is very rare to find a PT that is worth the money and actually helps you.

That's what I'm sayin'.

Thank you for that. Yes, you are right.

My chiro is great like that. She always loosens up the muscles, by hand (she's a strong Nordic woman) and with the electric massager, before moving bones. I get a deep tissue massage and an adjustment for $40. I'm spoiled.

That's what I'm sayin'.

I've spent 75, 100, and now 65 per session. Ironically the 65$ is by far the best. They are hour-long sessions and the PT is a former PLer so he knows injuries well. He figured out exactly what was wrong the first session, where the other PTs/Chiro had no idea and were just guessing, but were more than willing to keep taking my money.

I would have to agree with this based on my experience. I have had great success with some and bad results (made it worse) with others. I would shop around, and find one with plenty of experience. I found the more experienced PT's came up with excellent results.

This^ is what worries me the most, how could i put the bone back in?

I think the key to resolving the issue and preventing further damage is to first find out what the actual cause is and assess the initial damage. In other words, was this injury due to improper form or was it due to a muscle imbalance that was provoked by the dips. A good therapist should be able to tell through posture, palpation, etc... what is going on. The key is finding a "good" therapist and not an "average" therapist. However, I also agree that a "good" chiropractor could do the same. With all that said, if we are just dealing with a minor strain that is caused by nothing else than going too deep, too much weight, improper form, etc.. then you are better off saving your money and letting it heal on your own or maybe going for 1 treatment to have someone show you what stretches and/or exercises will help it heal quicker as well as what to avoid.

I was doing dips on chairs on tile(not smart)floor. Just body weight(218) was

trying to focus on my tris so i shifted my feet forward and a few reps later it happened.

I never really did dips since my tris sucked and i couldnt do many. Only been doing them serious in the last 8 months or so. Just body weight.

I do think i have some muscle imbalances in my upper back b/c one side is stronger than the other.

Any help is appreciated:headbang:

I was doing dips on chairs on tile(not smart)floor. Just body weight(218) was

trying to focus on my tris so i shifted my feet forward and a few reps later it happened.

I never really did dips since my tris sucked and i couldnt do many. Only been doing them serious in the last 8 months or so. Just body weight.

I do think i have some muscle imbalances in my upper back b/c one side is stronger than the other.

Any help is appreciated:headbang:

Hard to tell with just relying on the limited written info; but if I had to take a guess I would say that it has something to do with your scapular stabilization muscles and an imbalance resulting in a minor muscle strain. Where specifically is your pain?

Hard to tell with just relying on the limited written info; but if I had to take a guess I would say that it has something to do with your scapular stabilization muscles and an imbalance resulting in a minor muscle strain. Where specifically is your pain?

Underneath my scapula, the chiro today said under my rhomboids. If that makes sense.

He adjusted me and treated me with tens unit plus ultrasound. It feels a lot better today.

my opinion is anyone going to chiro that only adjust you is a waste of money. I went to a one for years that only did adjustments the only good thing that came out of that was I met my wife(chiro's assistant)

Our new chiro hardly ever adjust me but works on trigger points, Graston, ect. a ton of soft tissue work. I feel so much better and also don't feel like I need to go all the time to feel good. Seems like when you get adjusted feels good at first but works it way back out and you need it adjusted again.

Underneath my scapula, the chiro today said under my rhomboids. If that makes sense.

He adjusted me and treated me with tens unit plus ultrasound. It feels a lot better today.

makes perfect sense bro

makes perfect sense bro

Took xrays, therapy, adjustment for 100. Very through visit about 2+ hrs, asked lots of questions and answered a lot of mine.

The next visit will be 35 bucks, pretty go since my copay is 40.

He also said if we decide to work on my posture he lower the payment a little more.

I really like the ultrasonic with the tens unit, felt like a electric massage.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone!

didnt I tell you it may be rhomboids in OLM?;)

A good chiro should be showing exercises for free to do while your at home in conjunction with your treatment...

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131