over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Please critique back bi workout

Jake LaMotta

Registered
I'm just returning after a long layoff (I had shoulder surgery Oct 2008). I've been back in the gym for about 3 months. Can you guys please critique my back/bi workout? I will be doing all exercises 3x8-10 with the same weight every set. When I hit 10 reps on all 3 sets I will increase the weight the next workout week.

1. Seated cable rows (use straps when needed)
2. Wide grip lat pulldowns to the front (use straps when needed)
3. Close grip lat pulldowns (v-bar) (use straps when needed)
4. Seated dumbbell curls or Seated dumbbell hammer curls
5. 4 way neck machine (front, left, right, back)

I don't do any iso rear delt work because I feel the rear delts get hit enough with the row and pulldowns. I can't do deads because of an old back injury. I can't do straight bar curls because they hurt my wrists. I don't do shrugs because I feel the traps get hit enough with the row and pulldowns and the lateral raises and overhead pressing I do on my chest/front,side delt/tri day.

A couple questions:

1. How does this back/bi workout look? Too much? Not enough? Exercise selection? Order of exercises? Sets and reps?

2. Is it absoloutely necessary to do BOTH wide and close grip lat pulldowns? Can I just do one or is it better if I do both?

3. What is the difference between wide and close grip lat pulldowns? Does one hit the lats better than the other? I heard wide grip hits upper lats better and close grip hits lower lats better, is that true? If you were only going to do one, which would you do wide or close grip...and why?

4. Will doing this workout work my rear delts sufficiently or is it absoloutely necessary I add some iso rear delt work (ex. bent over lateral raises)?

5. With all the pulling I'm doing, is it even necessary to do the curls or will my bis be getting worked enough from the row and pulldowns?

Thanks fellas and happy new year to you all.

Last edited:
those are some loaded questions.. Ill give my 2 cents on #4 though. For me personally bent DB laterals are good 4 shape but hardly do anything for mass. seated rows and bent rows are both good for rear delt mass in my experience

Not a pro here, but for me I train back and bis on different days. I have been focusing on bringing up my lagging back...for me seated rows get me nowhere. I have the best of luck with T- bar rows, wide lat pull downs and iso row machine. As for biceps, I train them along with triceps. Standing, preachers and concentration curls. I focus on rear delt development whenI train shoulders on a separate day. Far a sets and rep ranges, for me 8-10 reps and four sets. If body part is lagging I up it to 5 sets. I shoot for slow concentrated perfect form reps and to be sore as F%$# for the rest of the week. Good luck!

If your body can handle it, I would be doing db rows, T-bar rows and barbell rows. Your routine seems light on free weight thickness movements. Rack deads are good as well. As for pulldowns with wide or close grip, a mix of both will give you development in different areas slightly. I prefer underhand pulldowns as my favorite whith movement. They hit the lower lats perfect with a good mind-muscle connection. Doing the same workout never has been good for me. Find the movements that work for you and keep those as your bread and butter and do different variations or rep ranges every week. Being a person who has a hard time with bi's, training them after back is the last thing I would want to be doing. I hope any of this may help a little.
Oh yeah, rear delts. If you are doing rowing movements and getting stronger, your rear delts should be getting proper development. A little iso work may be in order but I remember Dante saying something like "do you think your rear delts will grow better from bb rowing 365lb or doing rear laterals wit 35s?"

Last edited:
Not a pro here, but for me I train back and bis on different days. I have been focusing on bringing up my lagging back...for me seated rows get me nowhere. I have the best of luck with T- bar rows, wide lat pull downs and iso row machine. As for biceps, I train them along with triceps. Standing, preachers and concentration curls. I focus on rear delt development whenI train shoulders on a separate day. Far a sets and rep ranges, for me 8-10 reps and four sets. If body part is lagging I up it to 5 sets. I shoot for slow concentrated perfect form reps and to be sore as F%$# for the rest of the week. Good luck!

Same here bro, reverse grip are killers..

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131