over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

PM Big Dogs, help with quads.

Here’s a sissy squat performed with bands on a squat rack. Might be a useful exercise for you incorporate. I can’t do barbell squats because of my back.
All of the above is well intentioned, but NONE of the advice is tackling the real issue directly.
It’s not a routine, a rep scheme, a specific exercise...

Point blank- You will achieve the most expedient and efficient quad growth the closer you ass gets to your heels at the bottom of whatever squat or leg press variation you choose.

Many people are hip hinging their way through squats, and only doing partial reps. If your hamstrings aren’t coming close to meeting your calves, and your knees don’t pass your toes, you’re either hip hinging too much, or only doing partials.

Find exercises where you can achieve this ROM, control the eccentric (3-4 sec negatives), kill all momentum.
Great point

Here’s one way to belt squat you could set up easily.
and if you can get on the benches this is a great belt squat variation

Attachments

• B7DAB26C-115B-4B52-9589-9A72AF35FC6F.png
    B7DAB26C-115B-4B52-9589-9A72AF35FC6F.png
    347.1 KB · Views: 17
For me high bar squats (I perform them the way Phil viz posted them recently on his instagram), preferably in the 6-10 reps reprange. Besides that, a bb/Db walking lunge while not doing overly far steps, again pretty heavy.

Finish with some higher rep leg extension or sissy squats.

Progress those over time.
Stretch them out afterwards.

I’m not a big dog but I definitely made my legs a strongpoint after it being a weakpoint.

I can say with 99% certainty more volume isn't the answer. If what you've been doing isn't working, doing more of it won't magically fix that.
All of the above is well intentioned, but NONE of the advice is tackling the real issue directly.

Point blank- You will achieve the most expedient and efficient quad growth the closer you ass gets to your heels at the bottom of whatever squat or leg press variation you choose.

Many people are hip hinging their way through squats, and only doing partial reps. If your hamstrings aren’t coming close to meeting your calves, and your knees don’t pass your toes, you’re either hip hinging too much, or only doing partials.

Find exercises where you can achieve this ROM, control the eccentric (3-4 sec negatives), kill all momentum.
Agreed, presses and squats are king; but you must find the technique, form, and exercises that allow you to achieve sufficient knee flexion (quads loaded in a stretched position) in the hole while also putting you in mechanically advantageous positions to progressively overload.

I love barbell back squats and still do them. They work well for me but what works even better for me is narrow stance smith squats. I've also seen guys with structures who can't achieve sufficient knee flexion in the hole with squats but can with leg presses.

1622981865169.jpeg

I would never limit myself to sets and reps like that as far as hypertrophy goes…work the muscle until your fucken done…not when your your cookie cutter check list is complete

I would never limit myself to sets and reps like that as far as hypertrophy goes…work the muscle until your fucken done…not when your your cookie cutter check list is complete
I agree. I do have a predetermined rep range. However, if I’m not at failure i keep going. I use it as a guide of when to add weight. So 5-9 reps. If my intended rep is 9 but it’s an amazing day and I can really push I’ll hit 15 or 20 if I can. I just know the next week I’m seriously going to add more weight. Also I’m definitely toast after I’m finished. I do 0 reps in reserve or an rpe of 11 😂.
I’m all about intelligent programming though.

I agree with this 100% too. While it's good to have a predetermined plan as far as exercises, sets and reps when you're at the gym, once you're at it, go by feel. If you're doing an exercise and is feeling great, don't stop because you already have done your 4 sets. keep going until it doesn't feel good anymore, then onto a different exercise. Sometimes, changing the plan as you go is not a bad thing, especially if you know your body well and are able to tweak things as you go to maximize the workout.

I agree with this 100% too. While it's good to have a predetermined plan as far as exercises, sets and reps when you're at the gym, once you're at it, go by feel. If you're doing an exercise and is feeling great, don't stop because you already have done your 4 sets. keep going until it doesn't feel good anymore, then onto a different exercise. Sometimes, changing the plan as you go is not a bad thing, especially if you know your body well and are able to tweak things as you go to maximize the workout.

This is a form of auto regulation.
An intelligent way to approach this would be to choose the weight and rep range based on the most predominant type of muscle fiber for that group. Execute the movement within that rep range until you fall out of that rep range.

EX: Hack Squats for sets of 8-10 w/ 3:00 rest between sets.
Set 1- 5 plates x 10
Set 2- 5 plates x 10
Set 3- 5 plates x 9
Set 4- 5 plates x 8
Set 5- 5 plates x 6 (fell out of the rep range)
DONE

Agreed, presses and squats are king; but you must find the technique, form, and exercises that allow you to achieve sufficient knee flexion (quads loaded in a stretched position) in the hole while also putting you in mechanically advantageous positions to progressively overload.

I love barbell back squats and still do them. They work well for me but what works even better for me is narrow stance smith squats. I've also seen guys with structures who can't achieve sufficient knee flexion in the hole with squats but can with leg presses.

View attachment 135775
Hack squats tom platz style put an amazing loaded stretch on the quads that I really love. And great physique by the way

I used to do pause reps where I would stop and hold the weight "down in the hole" for a count of 3 seconds or so before coming up in the squat. Legs would be real sore after that. Moving a static weight up like that is great stress on the quads.

That being said, I did break my foot yesterday going batshit on squats..it was max effort bench and squat day…I went way too far lol

it’s just a hairline fracture, so I will take a break from weighted squats but in all honesty probably do a 1000 body weight squats a day to keep going

That being said, I did break my foot yesterday going batshit on squats..it was max effort bench and squat day…I went way too far lol

it’s just a hairline fracture, so I will take a break from weighted squats but in all honesty probably do a 1000 body weight squats a day to keep going
Idk man, you should probably just take time off and rest and let the foot heal. You’ll probably come back stronger. I took a month off when the lockdowns first happened and I felt like a million bucks when I was training again. I was blasting past all the weights I left off at and all my aches and pains were minimal

For me squats is everything. If I take them out there is a huge difference. Bad back whatever it is a person has I personally believe without squats your gonna miss out on maximum potential.

I used to do pause reps where I would stop and hold the weight "down in the hole" for a count of of 3 seconds or so before coming up in the squat. Legs would be real sore after that. Moving a static weight up like that

Just walking in and out of the rack?

I used to do pause reps where I would stop and hold the weight "down in the hole" for a count of of 3 seconds or so before coming up in the squat. Legs would be real sore after that. Moving a static weight up like that

Just walking in and out of the rack?
It happened when I walked out and planted…I knocked out a set of 3 and amped myself up and did 2 more sets of 2.

got out of bed this morning and was a total bitch when I put weight on it lol

I can say with 99% certainty more volume isn't the answer. If what you've been doing isn't working, doing more of it won't magically fix that.

I have one of the better sets of quads on PM but they weren't a genetic gift - I have long legs and had to work hard to get them where they are now.

Squats:
I think squats should be a component of a quard workout, but you have to find the right kind of squats for your legs. I did barbell squats for years and they did nothing for my quads. If you have long legs I think they're a particularly poor exercise.

Hack squat are what put the majority of size on my quads. The Hack squat sleds are ok, but I think the plate loaded Free Motion Hack is best (https://image.made-in-china.com/2f0...ion-Fitness-Equipment-Squat-Machine-SZ14-.jpg). This is the machine that blew my quads up.

I like ~10 reps on squats, occasionally going to 8 on my heaviest sets. I never go below that and rarely above 10.

Leg Press:
Again, you have to find the right machine for your structure. I like the Flex Fitness leg press and the Hammer Strength linear leg press best. I like 10-15 reps with a very controlled negative. I also like unilateral leg press to get an even better stretch and squeeze since I can focus on one leg at a time.

Leg Extension:
I don't think there's anything special to this, most machine are about the same. Get a good seat position so you can get full extension and stretch. I like 10-15 reps.

Adduction:
The adduction machine is the missing piece in many quad routines - you'll never put on maximal size without it. I like 10-15 reps here with as deep of a stretch as possible. I set the leg pads so they're as far back as possible and step into the machine from the back so I'm starting in the stretched position. But I'm very flexible and I know some will have a hard time with that.

Execution:
You really have to squeeze your quads as hard as possible to get the most out of them. I alock out on everything. I don't understand the 'never lock out' mindset that's preached - if I don't lock out (on any body part, not just quads), I don't get close to a full squeeze. If this means taking your weights back to 0 so you can really execute properly then do it - the muscle doesn't know how much weight it moves, only how hard you make it work.

My quads routine:
  • Hip abduction x 3
  • Hip adduction x 3
  • Leg extension x 4 (first 2 unilateral, last 2 both)
  • Hack squats x 2-3 (after as many warm up sets as I need)
  • Leg press x 4
If you really want to bring up your quads I suggest giving them their own day (same with hamstrings). I've made the most improvements on my legs on a PPL split with separate quads and hams days.
My gym has the machine version of that hack squat and I LOVE IT (I too have long ass legs and squats just dont do shit for me) butI have already maxed it out haha , really need that plate loaded option :)

My gym has the machine version of that hack squat and I LOVE IT (I too have long ass legs and squats just dont do shit for me) butI have already maxed it out haha , really need that plate loaded option :)
Time to switch to single leg

Here’s one way to belt squat you could set up easily.
and if you can get on the benches this is a great belt squat variation
Smart!

When I was 23 a long time ago my thighs were 34" I didn't do extensions or hacks or any other Foo Foo movements I squatted my guts out.
You want big legs squat, you want big pecks bench press, you want a big back deadlift.
The basics it hurts it's not fun, it's hard work it produces results.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear