over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

PM question I got about diet

Magnum

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I thought his would be of interest to some. Always fun to talk about diet and get different opinions. :)

Hello Magnum,

I hope your summer is going well.

I wanted to ask you a few questions if you don't mind. I just read a book by Mauro Di Pasquale called The Metabolic Diet. He also has one called the anbolic diet/Anabolic solution. I'm sure you probably have heard of them. Its a low carb diet during the week. emphasis on protein/fat and a carb up on the weekend.

I ran a few searches on here and saw that you do something very similar and I've seen the success you've had with alot of people.

I've never used this type of diet before but really want to give it a try.

I was curious what diet guidelines you might recomend to start off with?
for example (1 gram protein per lb of LBM? .5 grams of fat)?

Do you ever allow broccoli, grean beans, salad and do you count the carbs in these? or do you consider them "free Foods" so to speak?

Some people who use a similar diet, use carbs post workout (which makes sense to me) but I was looking at chris250s diet log thread and I noticed that you did not use them. What is the reasoning that you do no use them postworkout? I don't think Vince Gironda did either and I don't think Palumbo does either?

I heard Mauro say in a podcast that it is not necessary because the muscles stay more insulin sensitive for a longer period of time without carbs post workout but I'm having a hard time grasping exactly what that means?

And finally, What do you do differently with your diets if you are trying to gain lean muscle vs. lose fat?

I think I would like to give this type of eating a try but its not something I've used before so don't feel super confident with how to implement it. You seem to have a ton of experience with this approach and have had tremendous success with clients so I thought you would be a great person to ask.

I'd really appreciate any tips.

Thanks bro.

Although losing fat and gaining muscle can be done it's not a ideal situation to put yourself in. When I use a no carb diet I do this almost always during a precontest phase. I sometimes will add in veggies and other times I will take them out for a while. Again this is during precontest as I have no problem with people eating them during the offseason and in fact I encourage it. If you are trying to gain muscle I would suggest you start with about 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. As far as fats are concerned I don't count them simply because when you are eating various types of meat, eggs and other protein sources that have fat in them you will get the correct ratio.

Now, as far as whether to use a 5 off 2 on no carb diet to gain muscle in the off season or not, I think that has to do specifically with each person. I personally like to see people eat carbs thru out the day with various meals during the offseason, but never too much. Once you start getting too high in bodyfat then you need to cut them slightly. I am not a fan of seeing people getting fat during the offseason. You do not need to get fat to gain muscle. Too much food is very hard on the body and if you are taking in needless amount then all it does is rob your body of recuperative abilities. Start out with eating 5 or 6 meals. Go every other meals with some carbs and maybe eat chicken or fish with your carb meals. The other meals go higher fat protein sources say red meat and salmon etc. and some veggies. Play around with it and see were you need to be as far a calories and being able to grow and not gain too much fat. Try this first and see how it goes then maybe try the 5 off 2 on no carb, carb load. Good luck

great post! thanks for sharing with us...

Thanks for sharing that, Magnum.

I enjoy reading stuff like that and applying ideas to my own eating. It motivates me. :cool:

Thanks for posting this Magnum. I have responded very well the past 2 months with a carb cycling diet with higher fats and lower carbs. Its good to see others perspective on this especially an expert like yourself. KS

Thanks for posting this Magnum. I have responded very well the past 2 months with a carb cycling diet with higher fats and lower carbs. Its good to see others perspective on this especially an expert like yourself. KS

Glad I could help. :)

Jim, what is the reason you cut out veggies in a cutting diet, does it really have much of an impact on fat loss when you remove them? Thanks

Jim, what is the reason you cut out veggies in a cutting diet, does it really have much of an impact on fat loss when you remove them? Thanks

It's more about adding them in. Sometimes when I cut down on calories in the form of fat I add them in for some fiber.

I've tried to slowly cut off the ugly body fat I accumulated. I went for about 11 weeks of carb cycling, and these last 3 weeks I've gone ketogenic. Which is awfully similar to the Anabolic Diet, but I've kept carb ups to just one day.

I respond great to them apparently. Went from a 32.75 inch waist to a 31.9 inch waist in 10 days with a 1lb body weight drop. And I feel great, absolutely great.

As I've gone on, I've substituted one protein + veggie day for one keto day until I'm done with this and going on vacation.

And then hiring one of the big boys. :headbang:

I've tried to slowly cut off the ugly body fat I accumulated. I went for about 11 weeks of carb cycling, and these last 3 weeks I've gone ketogenic. Which is awfully similar to the Anabolic Diet, but I've kept carb ups to just one day.

I respond great to them apparently. Went from a 32.75 inch waist to a 31.9 inch waist in 10 days with a 1lb body weight drop. And I feel great, absolutely great.

As I've gone on, I've substituted one protein + veggie day for one keto day until I'm done with this and going on vacation.

And then hiring one of the big boys. :headbang:
I followed Mauro's Anabolic diet through most of my first 60lbs of LBM gains. In fact, I didn't start using post workout carbs until November of last year I think. As I went over 235lbs with a 6-Pack showing the carbs started to become necessary. At some point, you need the carbs to keep from going flat. But that point is up there pretty good.

So big guys will always look better with carbs in their diet. Everyone else, post workout carbs are really really over rated in my opinion.

Jim, allow me to pick your brain here a little. Do you believe in this statement? "when carbs are eaten in a calorie deficit diet, the rise in insulin will make it difficult for the body to release bodyfat for energy, therefore your body is more likely going to turn to burning muscle for energy"?

I followed Mauro's Anabolic diet through most of my first 60lbs of LBM gains. In fact, I didn't start using post workout carbs until November of last year I think. As I went over 235lbs with a 6-Pack showing the carbs started to become necessary. At some point, you need the carbs to keep from going flat. But that point is up there pretty good.

So big guys will always look better with carbs in their diet. Everyone else, post workout carbs are really really over rated in my opinion.

Never tried it while gaining weight. Tried it twice while trying to lose body fat. Both times I came in at a lower body fat percentage. I guess I'm really well adjusted to it.

I store a lot of my fat in my tummy, cause of high cortisol. And this is something that's taking it away. I still am missing out on a ton. Thus, I got to get one of these top tier trainers.

Jim, allow me to pick your brain here a little. Do you believe in this statement? "when carbs are eaten in a calorie deficit diet, the rise in insulin will make it difficult for the body to release bodyfat for energy, therefore your body is more likely going to turn to burning muscle for energy"?
I know you didn't ask me. But if you look at the chemical pathways in both keto and non-keto diets fueling the Krebs cycle you can see that the answer is YES. Your body has no choice.

Last edited:
Never tried it while gaining weight. Tried it twice while trying to lose body fat. Both times I came in at a lower body fat percentage. I guess I'm really well adjusted to it.

I store a lot of my fat in my tummy, cause of high cortisol. And this is something that's taking it away. I still am missing out on a ton. Thus, I got to get one of these top tier trainers.

The way I made my gains was to hone in my weekend carb-ups. I let myself gain a little fat and then cut back until I was lean but bigger. I just kept doing this. And it worked just fine until I got over 230 lean. Then it just started getting tricky. So I changed over from a CKD to a TKD and kept making gains.

Last edited:

I believe the first part is true, but just because there is a rise in insulin from carbs doesn't mean that your body will go to muscle for it's energy requirements.

I believe the first part is true, but just because there is a rise in insulin from carbs doesn't mean that your body will go to muscle for it's energy requirements.
The likelihood is that it will.

OJS

The way I made my gains was to hone in my weekend carb-ups. I let myself gain a little fat and then cut back until I was lean but bigger. I just kept doing this. And it worked just fine until I got over 230 lean. Then it just started getting tricky. So I changed over from a CKD to a TKD and kept making gains.

Did you carb up for 2 days or just one?

This diet makes sense to me except for the no post workout carbs. I don't understand how protein can be optimally shuttled into broken down muscles without carbs? :confused:

i would think that including some post workout carbs during the week and then having a more "conservative" carb up on the weekend would be better?

Did you carb up for 2 days or just one?

This diet makes sense to me except for the no post workout carbs. I don't understand how protein can be optimally shuttled into broken down muscles without carbs? :confused:

i would think that including some post workout carbs during the week and then having a more "conservative" carb up on the weekend would be better?
Use BCAA's post workout. It works just fine. It spikes the insulin just enough. And shuttles the goods right where they need to go.

...but be warned. Once you get lean and huge, all this goes out the window.

The likelihood is that it will.

On paper it appears it does, however the biggest guys out there aren't following keto diets either, for the most part! However naturals usually state that keto diets were best for preserving muscle mass, atleast that is what I've heard. Hmmmm???

On paper it appears it does, however the biggest guys out there aren't following keto diets either, for the most part! However naturals usually state that keto diets were best for preserving muscle mass, atleast that is what I've heard. Hmmmm???
I made that very clear. The bigger you are the more carbs you need. ...and more often.

I made that very clear. The bigger you are the more carbs you need. ...and more often.

I'm talking about in a calorie deficit diet! You were saying you broke a plateu adding in carbs, bro.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131