over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Posing advice for newbies

Mike Pulcinella

Banned
Registered
I shot video of a bodybuilding contest last weekend. I shoot several contests a year. One of the things that really irks me is when competitors get up on stage and bore us with a posing routine that clearly has not been thought out beforehand. I see that happen time and time again.

I know this has been said many times before but once again I am going to give a few pointers for those of you contemplating your first contest or for those who are guilty of lazy posing. Have some pity on the audience and give us a good show.

1. Don't start with a most muscular!! That's the Grand Finale pose. If you begin your routine with three MMs where can you go from there?? Down, that's where.

2. Connect the poses. There should be no down time in your routine. It should be one fluid movement with pauses for each pose.

3. Practice! Nothing makes me more angry than seeing a competitor on stage thinking about what pose he should do next! Didn't you KNOW you were going to have to do this? Prepare something!

4. Don't ask for applause! This one makes my skin crawl. If your physique is good and your posing is exciting they WILL clap. If they are not clapping then get yur ass back into the gym and try again!

Good advise Mike. Thanks for posting.

Having never stepped on stage, I have a quick question
for you Dave (or anybody else) . . . how much time are
you allowed on stage to pose?

Thank you.

Usually no more than 90 seconds.

Mike,

I know there is a perfect posing video out, but have you ever thought about doing tutorial video on posing.
Here in my area we're not suppose to do quarter turns like the Pros, but nobody has really shown the absolute correct way of doing them. We're just not supose to twist. But when you look at pics of comparsions, no side pose, is close to the same. It's very flusterating not knowing exactly what they are asking for.

Oh man, I HATE when guys try to get the crowd to clap for them. You look silly, stop.

mike i totally agree with you, the fanny thing is allot of peeps think posing is meaningless when it comes to shows.

... In canada, the contest is over at prejudging. There are no points awarded in the evening. I'm not even sure why a competitor would want to show up for the evening show. I know I don't. There's very little point in doing anything other than repeating the mandatories in the evening and getting the heck off the stage.

Mike,

I know there is a perfect posing video out, but have you ever thought about doing tutorial video on posing.
Here in my area we're not suppose to do quarter turns like the Pros, but nobody has really shown the absolute correct way of doing them. We're just not supose to twist. But when you look at pics of comparsions, no side pose, is close to the same. It's very flusterating not knowing exactly what they are asking for.

I've actually shot footage for Perfect Posing. I wouldn't dream of going up against that series! It's the best.

I hate it when people do #4. if you are good you will hear it!!!

If you are a newbie you had better focus on the mandatory poses for prejudging. If you don't hit the mandatories well, your "posing routine" doesn't mean diddley. Judging happens during prejudging. In a big class at a big show, the judges pretty much have the top 5 picked after the damn quarterturns... you need to practice just standing on stage properly. Most of your posing practice needs to focus on what happens in the AM.

If you are a newbie you had better focus on the mandatory poses for prejudging. If you don't hit the mandatories well, your "posing routine" doesn't mean diddley. Judging happens during prejudging. In a big class at a big show, the judges pretty much have the top 5 picked after the damn quarterturns... you need to practice just standing on stage properly. Most of your posing practice needs to focus on what happens in the AM.

Very true!

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner