over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Possible kidney issues, GFR 35

I can confirm, I requested one yesterday my gp didnt seem interested or to know what is is. Creatiine as urinalysis is the best I could get.

Dante - I think I have misunderstood "creatine over time"! Were you referring to the "pee in a bottle" 24-hour test, or elevated creatinine levels in a series of blood tests over a period of months/years? Although, thinking about it, neither results are "good"! Thanks.

Elevated creatinine levels in bloodwork over time absolutely. The same guy could do a 24 hour urine test and not train the previous 72 hours and eat 3-4 solid meals the previous days and he would come out totally fine....and the EXACT SAME guy could to a 24 hour urine test and train hard 2x over the previous 48 hours and take in an abundance of protein drinks for some of his meals the day of and the previous days and the doctor would be giving him the riot act on protein spillage in his urine and that his kidneys are in danger. How many doctors do you know tell bodybuilders not to train and not to drink liquid protein meals previous and during that 24 hour urine testing.....not many. Serum creatinine levels with bloodwork over time is a definitive sign.

I had a study cited on this above and I cannot find it right now

another shout out to Dante..

My protein in urine about 8 weeks ago before starting 6g ED was significant (ill find the value it is in a slip in my car)....yesterday it was trace

creatinine was I think 1.1 last year (not bad), has been up to 1.7 years ago, yesterday was .95

this was during a deload, 2 days training over 2 weeks no cardio but did train 1 day prior. protein about 200g per day on 500test/350mast/350 tren after dropping winstrol 2 weeks ago

I assume Astragalus needs to be taken with food for enhanced assimilation?
Or is it one of the more rare supps that is more bioavailable when taken on an empty stomach? Thanks in advance.

Elevated creatinine levels in bloodwork over time absolutely. The same guy could do a 24 hour urine test and not train the previous 72 hours and eat 3-4 solid meals the previous days and he would come out totally fine....and the EXACT SAME guy could to a 24 hour urine test and train hard 2x over the previous 48 hours and take in an abundance of protein drinks for some of his meals the day of and the previous days and the doctor would be giving him the riot act on protein spillage in his urine and that his kidneys are in danger. How many doctors do you know tell bodybuilders not to train and not to drink liquid protein meals previous and during that 24 hour urine testing.....not many. Serum creatinine levels with bloodwork over time is a definitive sign.

The other problem is the lifters who have seen this topic discussed quite a few times over the years who won't take 3 days (5 is even better) off of lifting, eat right and stay hydrated, but go ahead and do blood work anyway and then come on the forum or emailing someone like you looking for a reason the results could be skewed.

If you're going to do a blood panel, take 3 days off, eat solid foods and stay hydrated!

I finally looked back at my old test

Before astralagous protein in urine was tested 100mg/dl

After about 4 weeks just trace. Correct me if I'm wrong, 100mg/dl is very bad?

I finally looked back at my old test

Before astralagous protein in urine was tested 100mg/dl

After about 4 weeks just trace. Correct me if I'm wrong, 100mg/dl is very bad?

Hard to say all my levels were measured in straight litres. My protein in urine came back at .10 Grams per Litre so that would be 100 mgs per litre which was cool by my nephro. Per DL however I am not sure, 1 DL is one tenth of a full litre.

My nephro said they usually recommend doing a biopsy for people who spill more than 2 grams of protein in a 24 hour period.

Would astragalus lower cystatin c too? I have always had higher creatinine looking at my lab work from 2017 1.61, mid 2020 1.36 and now 1.52. I checked my cystatin c to be 1.08 just now for the 1st time ever putting my eGFR based on both markers at 68 which got me paranoid to say the least. I am not really abusing gear (blast anywhere between 1 and 2 grams) or protein (1.25g per pound). I am going to go to a nephro ASAP and have the 24hr urinalysis taken but due to covid-19 I may not be able to do that right away.

If you have protein leaking in urine as U know this will cause kidney damage over the long haul. If lower NP and astagulas first help. The frontline frug used id Losartan it reduces protein in the urine nut will raise your creatinine levels. At this poimt is is better to have the higher creatinine level than confined spilling urine protein cause the urine protein if not controlled it kill your kidneys.Trust me been through it

1. Are ARB’s > ACE-I’s for kidney health?

2. What does HCTZ do for kidney health as that always seems to be prescribed in concert w either of the 2 classes of BP meds.

Thanks

Will someone take a stab at this please?
In my low 50’s
No training for 48 hours
7am fasted testing but drank a lot of water

Creatinine 1.31 (.76-1.27)
eGFR 64 —-FUGGGG
BUN/creatinine 13 (9-20)
Albumin 4.7 (3.5-5.5)
No traces of protein in urine

6’0 200 12-14% body fat
100 grams protein/day (meat)

1. Are ARB’s > ACE-I’s for kidney health?

2. What does HCTZ do for kidney health as that always seems to be prescribed in concert w either of the 2 classes of BP meds.

Thanks

In my low 50’s
No training for 48 hours

eGFR 64 —-FUGGGG
BUN/creatinine 13 (9-20)
Albumin 4.7 (3.5-5.5)

6’0 200 12-14% body fat

What gear are you on?

I just recently found myself with similar blood work. I'm on Losartan (ARB). The interesting thing on mine was that I had requests for blood work from two different doctors. The same blood draw was for both of them. Creatinine on one was 1.19 and the other was 1.3. eGFR was 70. I also had no protein in my urine. I'm retesting in two weeks. Doing some research, ARB's have the ability to raise creatinine and potassium.

I want to add that I was on 2 to 3 grams a day of Astragalus (The Vitamin Shoppe brand).

Last edited:
Creatinine slightly out of range is no reason for concern if you are a decently big bodybuilder with moderate to high meat consumption and/or creatinine supplementation. And yes, ACEis and ARBs can lead to slightly higher Creatinine levels, too. This is not reflective of any negative effects on kidney health though. On the contrary, both help maintain kidney function and reduce proteinuria if present, and they are both equally good for this purpose. I'm not a fan of HCTZ similar diuretics, but really can't be bothered digging up all the references again (I posted them in another thread a while back). Astragalus is good though.

In my low 50’s
No training for 48 hours

eGFR 64 —-FUGGGG
BUN/creatinine 13 (9-20)
Albumin 4.7 (3.5-5.5)

6’0 200 12-14% body fat
These are actually very normal values the "e" before GFR stands for "estimated" because the test is just guessing your GFR based on how much creatinine is in your blood, the problem is, GFR is how well the kidneys are filtering creatinine from your blood to your urine and the test doesn't look at your urine, it just assumes high blood creatinine means your kidneys are not filtering well. Because bodybuilders make more creatinine (primarily from muscle mass, diet also has a small effect), they will always have more in their blood. To accurately assess your kidneys, you will need a 24hour creatinine clearance test.

Kaladryn
Thank you. Why is it that some bb’ers far larger than me and who ingest far more protein than me, have eGFR’s in the 90’s and 100’s then?

Jeff - thanks

I’m reading some unappealing things regarding HCTZ on the kidneys. Damn it

Would herbals (dandelion, parsley, etc) do the same?

Bio - Currently only on 200 Test Enth.
Oddly enough, my numbers don’t change much when ON. I run relatively mild cycles though.

Varying levels of Creatinine. That’s frustrating. Doesn’t give you a whole lot of faith in the tests itself.

U forgot to add I’m also on VC’s Astragalus 2g (1g @ twice/day) and have been for 3 months.

I knew about ARB’s raising K+ but didn’t know that about Creatinine. Thanks for that.

Bio - Currently only on 200 Test Enth.
Oddly enough, my numbers don’t change much when ON. I run relatively mild cycles though.

Varying levels of Creatinine. That’s frustrating. Doesn’t give you a whole lot of faith in the tests itself.

U forgot to add I’m also on VC’s Astragalus 2g (1g @ twice/day) and have been for 3 months.

I knew about ARB’s raising K+ but didn’t know that about Creatinine. Thanks for that.

Following my kidney transplant, my transplant team would not let me go back on my Arb(Telemisartan) because they said it would raise my creatinine levels and would make them think something was wrong when it wasn't. In other words they were saying that the drug wasn't bad for me and wasn't hurting the kidneys, just that it would look like it on paper. Finally, after several months of my BP running higher than we would like and them not coming up with any alternatives that didn't have side effects that were deal breakers, I self medicated with Telemisartan and my creatinine actually went down a small amount(and my BP too).

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael_
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131