over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Post workout shake = Myth?

WTF are you guys talking about? NO insulin spike PWO, only one of the most anabolic hormones produced by the body..Takin pwo at the best time to drive nutrients into your depleted muscles..Unless your not depleting your stores = working out yates style with one set to failure..Other wise 80grms carbs to spike insulin, unless your injecting it, then at least 6-10 grms carbs pr iu. followed by a fast digesting protien to start rebuiling muscle and stop it from further breakdown..the sooner the better..Works for me at 6'2" X 265 at 6-8% bf during bulker..Im amaized at the rats at the gym that dont follow this protical and wonder why they make shit progress!!

concreter, 6'2 265 6-8% bf?...got any pics??

Layne Norton just wrote a cool response to someone's question regarding a similar question on another forum. He basically says he uses just BCAAs PWO now and has solid food carbs like brown rice or sweet potatoes after. He gave a study where it showed that glycogen replenishment wasn't very different when comparing a PWO shake with MALTO and/or DEX vs. a whole food carb like oats.

very interesting

PWO nutrition is pointless for most of us.

The studies showing a big impact are generally done in a fasted state. So, if you train first thing in the AM before eating, then some fast-digesting carbs/protein might matter - otherwise there is no real demonstrable benefit.

Consume a meal with protein within an hour or two both pre- and post-workout and you are golden.

As far as the insulin spike being super anabolic/anti-catabolic... It's a load of horseshit meant to sell overpriced dextrose-based (or w/e the new ultra-fast absorbing carb they are hyping) products. Less than 30 grams of protein - and not one gram of carbohydrate - is sufficient to raise insulin levels to the point where anabolic/anti-catabolic effects are maximized.

-zaosha

I agree with you bro 1hour pre and post work out cant go wrong

I NEVER USED TO DRINK A SHAKE AFTER A WORKOUT, I STARTED USING ISOPURE A YEAR AGO AND NOT ONLY DID I FEEL BETTER THE NEXT DAY BUT I'VE HAD SOME OF MY BEST GAINS SINCE. OF COURSE WHEN I GET HOME I GET MY MACRO'S.

I think the no carbs has room plenty of room for debate, but it also depends if your dieting/trying to stay lean. If I'm trying to put on mass I dont see any reason why I wouldn't have carbs pwo. But I will say that I like to do a shake pwo of protein and then followed by some food protein sources. Reason being there is no way a chicken breast is getting in your system faster than a liquid protein source especially fast digesting protein like a whey isolate............

Most of the time I'm not in the mood to eat a solid meal right after working out. I typically will have a pwo shake with about 50gms WPI, 5gms glutamine, 5gms BCAA, 5 gms creatine (most times) with about 25-50gms carbs (depending on if I'm trying to lean-up or bulk), & then about an hour later I'll have something solid. Works weel for me.

p.s.-I don't use Insulin but I"ll take 2.5-4iu GH pwo

a post shake is a must for me. i wouldnt think about not having one.

for me, the PWO shake was something just to take care of the hunger pangs after a workout....I have to hit the gym on a semi-empty stomache or I feel like crap, but when i am done, the whole time I am showering up I am super starving....bring the mixer with dry protien mix, add water am I am fine until I get home for supper an hour later.
a no guilt snack as far as I am concerned.

Shake or whole food, just get in your carbs/protein IMHO.

If you take a solid food meal (beef or chicken with brown rice or sweet potato) 2hrs preworkout. Then Hydo WPI 30min preworkout. Sip something like gatorade with some simple sugar during your workout. No need for a postworkout shake. Just get home and get some food. I think people way over estimate how fast we digest food.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws