over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Powders vs Whole Foods

slesh

Registered
Piggy backing off a recent threat re: blending foods, I wanted to gain some insight into powders vs whole foods. For years everyone parrots the concept that whole foods are better. I've even made practice of it only trying to do shakes as an added supplement if needed. But all I can gather is the only pro of whole foods is the ability to curb appetite or hunger pains. So the question is that if a shake fills you up enough is not as beneficial or more than whole foods. Correct me if I'm wrong but whey is supposed to the best bio-available protein with the best amino acid profile. So if I go on True Nutrition and build a MRE with a legit whey, sweet potato powder, oat powder and some good fats, am I not getting the same nutrition and absorption as eating a plate of chicken, rice and broccoli? The reason I bring this up is that I'm sick of eating 6 whole meals a day and 5-600 calorie shakes can satisfy me for a few hours on end so can I do 4 meals and 2 shakes with same macros and get same benefits?

Piggy backing off a recent threat re: blending foods, I wanted to gain some insight into powders vs whole foods. For years everyone parrots the concept that whole foods are better. I've even made practice of it only trying to do shakes as an added supplement if needed. But all I can gather is the only pro of whole foods is the ability to curb appetite or hunger pains. So the question is that if a shake fills you up enough is not as beneficial or more than whole foods. Correct me if I'm wrong but whey is supposed to the best bio-available protein with the best amino acid profile. So if I go on True Nutrition and build a MRE with a legit whey, sweet potato powder, oat powder and some good fats, am I not getting the same nutrition and absorption as eating a plate of chicken, rice and broccoli? The reason I bring this up is that I'm sick of eating 6 whole meals a day and 5-600 calorie shakes can satisfy me for a few hours on end so can I do 4 meals and 2 shakes with same macros and get same benefits?

Protein is protein. It doesn't matter if its from whey or beef.

You wont get the micronutrient aspect drinking 4-5 whey shakes per day. Even using greens powders, you're better off with whole foods IMO.

I prefer to eat a wide variety of protein sources per day. Beef, fish, shakes and chicken spread throughout the day combined with different carbs.

I think some members here have tried both (JJ). All protein from shakes and then form various protein sources and look better using whole foods not shakes.

Im bigger and look/feel better from whey shakes. yes I still eat whole food, ls obviously, just not as my main protein sources. 3 normal sized meals a with whey or EAA shakes.

Piggy backing off a recent thread, don't sweat the small shit.

Im bigger and look/feel better from whey shakes. yes I still eat whole food, ls obviously, just not as my main protein sources. 3 normal sized meals a with whey or EAA shakes.

I can't type...
Meant:
I'm bigger and look/feel better from whey shakes. Yes I still eat whole food obviously, just not as my main protein sources. 3 normal sized meals with whey or EAA shakes throughout day.

Far more nutrition in whole food. My strength and conditioning was better with food. I ate 6+ meals a day for 30 years. It can be a pain. Just depends on your motivation. The health aspects of food too also out way shakes from my view. Some many things are lost from using shakes as a major source of nutrition.

Yep, it's all to do with the micronutrients in whole foods. I don't care if I take whey protein plus fat with the micros present in red meat, nothing substitutes eating actual red meat for me when it comes to the way I feel.

That said, there's really no downside to using a high quality whey protein. If that's how you get it in, so be it. Subbing it for whole foods here and there isn't suddenly going to deplete you of vital micros overnight. I seriously doubt you'll notice much difference by only doing it for two meals a day. In fact, you might lose a little scale weight just from less food weight being in your stomach. You could be giving your digestive system a break.

I think the only difference is micro nutrients but that doesn't mean 8oz of red meat daily isn't enough. I see it like this, and some fish, little red meat, some eggs (as far as protein) and you got micros covered (as far as what's in protein) then fill in the rest of my protein with whey shakes. Its not like you need to eat 3lbs of red meat to get all the micronutrients.

I think the only difference is micro nutrients but that doesn't mean 8oz of red meat daily isn't enough. I see it like this, and some fish, little red meat, some eggs (as far as protein) and you got micros covered (as far as what's in protein) then fill in the rest of my protein with whey shakes. Its not like you need to eat 3lbs of red meat to get all the micronutrients.

Exactly

I do the same but i never was a big eater ...well i can hammer donuts and ice cream if it counts hahahaha

For example , now offseason i do 3 meals , and 4 shakes

1 egg meal
1 beef meal
1 salmon meal

Shakes are whey + casein combo

I feel the best on this

Respect

Madg

I do the same but i never was a big eater ...well i can hammer donuts and ice cream if it counts hahahaha

For example , now offseason i do 3 meals , and 4 shakes

1 egg meal
1 beef meal
1 salmon meal

Shakes are whey + casein combo

I feel the best on this

Respect

Madg
I hear you on the junk food lol. I was never a big eater either but as I have gotten bigger and bigger my appetite came with it. I can eat a ridiculous amount of food now. It's disgusting haha

I see no reason to ever drink whey. If your sick of eating x amount of whole food, make a larger percentage of it "dirty" or food that goes down easy, hell even a smoothie, or a piece of apple pie, or ice cream. Just make the macros the same, adjust things. Digestion is important. You cant eat 6k calories in clean food, then eat 3k in clean and 3k in more "dirty" rather than drinking 3k in whey (as an example).

Also, with whole food what the label says is what you get, for the post part. your 25 grams of protein scoop of whey isolate could be 25g of whey isolate, concentrate, half of each, or just sugar. No one regulates companies. I trust a cow to be a cow and an apple to be an apple, more than a for profit company with no agency regulation them to not try and maximize profit. Every supplement company exists to make profit, not to help you reach your goals. Sure some are better than others, but its a huge risk.

Protein is protein. It doesn't matter if its from whey or beef.

I disagree with this 100%...... When people start making "supplements" the core of their nutrition, thats asking for problems....Nothing beats real food....People get way too enamored with the numbers.... "wow Im getting 50g of protein in this shake"..... 10 minutes later they're on the toilet shitting it out..... good job....

I disagree with this 100%...... When people start making "supplements" the core of their nutrition, thats asking for problems....Nothing beats real food....People get way too enamored with the numbers.... "wow Im getting 50g of protein in this shake"..... 10 minutes later they're on the toilet shitting it out..... good job....

I didn't say that. I said protein is protein.

Stomach upset from whey is because of allergies, like you know. So if there was no allergy 50g of whey isolate is the same as 50g chicken breast.

Supplement should never be the core of someones program. Whole food should be.

Whole food all the way can’t compete with real food over powder whey that has fillers and other shit in there to preserve and also bloats new up if too much.

now I just blend oatmeal cinnamon and chocolate liquid egg whites and that counts as a meal plus it’s real food and I don’t get the bloat from powder whey.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131