over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Power lifting question?

football101

Registered
Do power lifters ever change their routine? Their always trying to build the bench squat and deadlift and was just curious. I mean everyone is different but for the most part it wouldnt make sense to me if they took those out.Eventually youd probably hit a plateau in doing the same thing.Im getting into powerbuilding more so and as a natural its getting very hard to build muscle.I never want to take those 3 key excersises out of my routine.I find it hard to gain after a while and have no choice to change. If i were to keep them in is their anything i could do to keep progressing?Im not going to get very far naturally so would like to pursue strength for the time being as well as still building some size.

My routine changed quite a bit when I was a powerlifter. Yes you do bench, squat, and deadlift each week but you change the way you do it. For example you can change your grip on bench, ROM, add accommodating resistance such as bands or chains. You can also change your rep scheme week to week. I usually wouldn't do the same movement more than once a month.

you can drop flat bench altogether for 8-10 weeks. get as strong as you can on heavy weighted dips for sets of 5-6 reps and then go back to flat bench. you will be stronger.

Google Stan Efferding and Mark Bell; 100's of vids on their training routines

I leave my flat bench, squat, and deadlift in my programming. Practice how you play. What I do change is my accessory work. So, for example, on my bench day where I might have been doing DB floorpress as an accessory movement for x-amount of months and have stalled out, I might change it to BB floorpress for a few months until I stall or change the movement altogether to close grip bench....or maybe just do my flat bench work, then hammer my back and not do any extra pressing. This has always worked well for me and I will keep rotating accessory movements until I can honestly say my flat bench has completely stalled out. Then, as Tom said above, I would take some time off from HEAVY flat bench (dont stop training the movement, just get in your groove for 15-20 reps and move on). While I probably wouldnt take 8-10 weeks off a main movement personally, I think 6-8 weeks is in order. Keeping your main lift in your programming isn't AS important if you're not training to compete...but whats the fun then:D Just my .02

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity