over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

power lifting routine for weak chest?

Conan21

Kilo Klub Member
power lifting routine for under developed chest?

My younger bros and their friends have been doing this Russian bench program. You sets and reps are based upon your 1 rep max. All of these kids seem to be increasing their number very well.

It seems to me that the main thing that makes muscles grow is progressive resistance. Which is what Phil is always saying. Doesn't really matter what kind of range of motion your using as long as your progressively getting stronger which will make the muscle grow. Well the only problem with that is taht some people have stubborn bodyparts that don't go up in strenght too easily so you start looking for ways to make that happen (which is what i think TP4U was trying to get at).

Do you guys think this may be beneifical to give one of these bench programs a shot? would increasing your max bench help your chest grow?

I've been getting pretty good results with what i'm doing right now, so i'm going to stick with it, but may consider this in the future.

Last edited:
Alot of low rep strength increases come from CNS stimulation, not more muscle fibers firing.

CNS..very true

I tried a westside type bench program,and it made me strong.But very little if any size.What your doing is really stimulating your CNS to fire explosively.Your tendons are getting very strong also,but unless your doing some hypertrohy movements,you will get strong but thats it,no muscle growth.Powerlifting has very little to do with feel.Alot of it is technique.The proper back arch etc.

Bodybuilding has alot to do with feel.Yea,you have to lift heavy,and guys like Ronnie C do,but they control the weight.They do not do all that powerlifting explosive movements.It really doesnt do shit for growth.

Im sure the PLs on this board will say different,but my experience and what I see is that bodybuilding is way better at building muscle then PL.Who gives a fuck what you bench unless you compete?If you look like shit,then I dont see the point.Id rather be jacked and pretty strong,then bloated big and very strong.

BN,
You did the westside/metal milita routine with me for 2, maybe 3 workouts then you went back to bodybuilding. I think if you would have stuck around youd have seen significant gains in size and strength. Look at my training partner Lee for instance... 230 to 250 in 10 weeks SOLID and almost 100lbs on his bench. I didnt gain much weight (10lbs), but my eating wasnt too good so waddya expect but my bench & Squat still went up about 60lbs. Yeah, the singles and triples are all technique and CNS potentiation but I was also doing plenty of hypertrophy movements... 115lb dumbell flyes for 10 reps, cable flyes, incline presses, plenty of heavy tricep work, I had a back day. If thats not gonna make you grow then youd better throw in the towel.

Conan,
Give the bench workout a try, my chest (which was almost non-existent) grew pretty big (52" from about 45") since I got into powerlifting. Besides the worst thing that could happen is youll have a bigger bench.

DIEZEL666 said:
Alot of low rep strength increases come from CNS stimulation, not more muscle fibers firing.

heavy weights actually recruit the most muscle fibers.......however if u want size, u need lots of reps with heavy weights.........doin a 3 rep max for chest supposing ur 3-rep max is 300 means u have hoist 900 pounds for ur chest, compared to lets say 3 sets of 250 x 8 = 6,000 pounds for ur chest

Conan21 said:
My younger bros and their friends have been doing this Russian bench program. You sets and reps are based upon your 1 rep max. All of these kids seem to be increasing their number very well.

It seems to me that the main thing that makes muscles grow is progressive resistance. Which is what Phil is always saying. Doesn't really matter what kind of range of motion your using as long as your progressively getting stronger which will make the muscle grow. Well the only problem with that is taht some people have stubborn bodyparts that don't go up in strenght too easily so you start looking for ways to make that happen (which is what i think TP4U was trying to get at).

Do you guys think this may be beneifical to give one of these bench programs a shot? would increasing your max bench help your chest grow?

I've been getting pretty good results with what i'm doing right now, so i'm going to stick with it, but may consider this in the future.

and yes, progressive overload is the most important thing

BALDNAZI said:
I tried a westside type bench program,and it made me strong.But very little if any size.What your doing is really stimulating your CNS to fire explosively.Your tendons are getting very strong also,but unless your doing some hypertrohy movements,you will get strong but thats it,no muscle growth.Powerlifting has very little to do with feel.Alot of it is technique.The proper back arch etc.

Bodybuilding has alot to do with feel.Yea,you have to lift heavy,and guys like Ronnie C do,but they control the weight.They do not do all that powerlifting explosive movements.It really doesnt do shit for growth.

Im sure the PLs on this board will say different,but my experience and what I see is that bodybuilding is way better at building muscle then PL.Who gives a fuck what you bench unless you compete?If you look like shit,then I dont see the point.Id rather be jacked and pretty strong,then bloated big and very strong.

I agree with BALDNAZI...

Entity said:
BN,
You did the westside/metal milita routine with me for 2, maybe 3 workouts then you went back to bodybuilding. I think if you would have stuck around youd have seen significant gains in size and strength. Look at my training partner Lee for instance... 230 to 250 in 10 weeks SOLID and almost 100lbs on his bench. I didnt gain much weight (10lbs), but my eating wasnt too good so waddya expect but my bench & Squat still went up about 60lbs. Yeah, the singles and triples are all technique and CNS potentiation but I was also doing plenty of hypertrophy movements... 115lb dumbell flyes for 10 reps, cable flyes, incline presses, plenty of heavy tricep work, I had a back day. If thats not gonna make you grow then youd better throw in the towel.

Conan,
Give the bench workout a try, my chest (which was almost non-existent) grew pretty big (52" from about 45") since I got into powerlifting. Besides the worst thing that could happen is youll have a bigger bench.

This makes good sense to me... A combination of both...

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131