Powerbuilding

FK86

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Great read from Chaos and Pain.

Part 1: **broken link removed**

Part 2: **broken link removed**

Part 3: **broken link removed**

Don't necessarily agree with a lot of things he says. From what I can gather, this is a powerlifter, and only a powerlifter. As someone who competes in bodybuilding AND powerlifting, it bothers me when someone calls themselves one or the other if they haven't competed. Step on stage, until then, you're not one of us.

I'm not sure I understand the whole article but I competed in bodybuilding for 9 years in the later 80s and 90s, we trained hard, heavy with reps to grow. Some of my workouts were poundages like 525 flat bench for 5 and 465lb inclines for 2X8 I never wore bench shirts, 600+ squats for 6-8 reps and 2000 lb leg presses for 10, all were always with perfect form. I still train hard as ever at 51 and go to a local powerhouse gym that has many serious guys. What I see now is lots of light weights, superset, giant sets and such. I do not see anyone lift heavy and I see lots of talking and cell phones between sets, I am amazed as some are quite large guys too. I rationalize this with the use of insulin and GH and higher doses which many of the non pros did not have back then so growth was through heavy weight use.
I still train the same way, of course the weight is much lower and I offset this by going quicker, one exercise then the next, very little supersetting.

It's just an entertaining piece of writing about guys who killed it in the gym. I didn't post it to convince anyone of anything.

I'm not sure I understand the whole article but I competed in bodybuilding for 9 years in the later 80s and 90s, we trained hard, heavy with reps to grow. Some of my workouts were poundages like 525 flat bench for 5 and 465lb inclines for 2X8 I never wore bench shirts, 600+ squats for 6-8 reps and 2000 lb leg presses for 10, all were always with perfect form. I still train hard as ever at 51 and go to a local powerhouse gym that has many serious guys. What I see now is lots of light weights, superset, giant sets and such. I do not see anyone lift heavy and I see lots of talking and cell phones between sets, I am amazed as some are quite large guys too. I rationalize this with the use of insulin and GH and higher doses which many of the non pros did not have back then so growth was through heavy weight use.
I still train the same way, of course the weight is much lower and I offset this by going quicker, one exercise then the next, very little supersetting.

How big were you when you were pushing those poundages? Any injuries?

I am 5'10" and was 270 lbs at my heaviest, probably lighter when hitting those workout weights. I competed at around 230 lbs.

I did tear my pec muscle doing heavy inclines in my late 20s. I use to pause at the bottom and came up on a later rep and heard a tear. I finally came to my senses and stopped going so heavy and started on Hammer Strength and Smith benches to stay healthier. Most of my injuries came after I hit 40 yo, I feel my GH levels were low so after tearing my tricep tendon at 43, I started 2 ius GH since, definitely helps not getting injured.