Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Police seize steroids from powerlifter in Kennewick

Kristin M. Kraemer, Herald staff writer
Published: 12/31/10 8:19 am | Updated: 12/31/10 8:19 am
0 Comments

**broken link removed**

KENNEWICK — A powerlifter who set a benchpressing world record in Kennewick now faces criminal charges for delivering steroids.

Police seized at least 84 vials of steroids and seven packets of steroid chemicals that allegedly belonged to Ryan Shawn Kennelly. The discovery was made after federal postal inspectors tracked a shipment of steroids to a Kennewick apartment connected to him.

Kennelly, 36, pleaded innocent in Benton County Superior Court to possession with intent to manufacture or deliver anabolic steroids. His trial is Feb. 14.

When he was arrested Dec. 17, the Moses Lake man who calls himself "The Bench Monster" had similar charges in Grant County involving marijuana and steroids, according to authorities.

Kennelly had been in the Benton County jail on $100,000 bail until Wednesday, when Judge Vic VanderSchoor lowered the amount to $25,000. Kennelly posted bail and was released later that day.

On his conditions of release form filled out during his court appearance, Kennelly listed a Kennewick post office box instead of giving an actual street address. He did not give the court a telephone number.

His court-appointed attorney, Kevin Holt, was not in this week and couldn't be reached.

Kennelly is a 1992 graduate of Kamiakin High School in Kennewick. He has been lifting for 16 years and on Nov. 8, 2008, set a World Powerlifting Organization world record for pressing 1,075 pounds during the Pride Powerlifting Strength Wars competition at a Kennewick gym.

News about Kennelly's drug arrests is making the rounds in the powerlifting world. It's reported on his Wikipedia page and several blogs, as well as the eBodyBuilding.info website, which also features photos and videos of him.

In an interview with the Tri-City Herald in December 2009, Kennelly said he has made a living out of redefining the sport of bench pressing. He said he has written a book and has videos on the subject.

"No one in the world can do what I do," he said at the time. "I've studied the art form and made it easier."

He said that includes using more than just the chest to move an impressive amount of weight, incorporating the shoulders, triceps, biceps, back and legs into a lift.

The Herald then reported that Kennelly's feats have made him a substantial amount of money in the sport of powerlifting, with sponsors, endorsements and a couple of long-term deals -- mostly overseas.

His MySpace page, which shows his last login on Dec. 3, says his income is "$250,000 and higher."

"I don't want to do anything else," Kennelly told the Herald last year. "I started fishing again and I enjoy that, but I don't drink and I don't party. I have a small circle of friends with no surprises. I'm No. 1 in the world because I didn't go down that path."

Grant County Detective Dean Hallatt with the Interagency Narcotics Enforcement Team said the task force started its investigation into Kennelly earlier this year.

Kennelly was arrested at his Moses Lake home Oct. 6 and charged the next day in Grant County Superior Court with manufacturing marijuana and possession with intent to deliver both marijuana and anabolic steroids, according to authorities and court records.

Then Dec. 17, the Grant County task force served a search warrant at the Kennewick apartment. Members were assisted by the Tri-City Metro Drug Task Force, Kennewick's Criminal Apprehension Team and inspectors with the U.S. Postal Service, Hallatt said.

"We are still currently in an ongoing investigation with Mr. Kennelly. It originated in Grant County prior, and then it transferred over to Benton County," he said. "But as for a lot of the details, respectfully we are still in an investigation so I would hate to compromise it."

Kennewick police Sgt. Ken Lattin also couldn't release any details on his department's involvement because the Kennewick detective still has it marked as an open investigation.

According to Benton County court documents, postal inspectors intercepted a package of steroids and placed an alarm system inside the box. The warrant served two weeks ago was for the package, which allegedly was found inside the apartment along with the postal service's alarm device and the shipment of steroids. The warrant also covered any other steroids and products used to make the drug.

Officers found the vials and packets of chemicals, along with a safe. Kennelly had the key to the safe, court documents said. Inside, detectives found more suspected drugs, $20,000 in cash and another $80,000 in gold coins, documents said.

Thank goodness they got another serious criminal off the street! I feel so much better know!! :banghead: They're just trying to get publicity by going after him....Like his steroid use is going to come as a shock to anyone. The guy benched 1,075lbs!!!

Thank goodness they got another serious criminal off the street! I feel so much better know!! :banghead: They're just trying to get publicity by going after him....Like his steroid use is going to come as a shock to anyone. The guy benched 1,075lbs!!!

you right bro nothing else to do beside tracking people on that.I hope our country wont be like in europe one day.

I know him well. His wife even better. She used to lift with us in Ga. for many years. What a shame. They were probably watching him from his prior arrest. Thats quite a big order as well.

The streets are so much safer now that they got him....

From what that said .....and im just speculating...it really seems like someone had an axe to grind with him personally (piss someone off in the gym? LE?) and the assumptions were made and the case was reverse engineered in a way.

From what that said .....and im just speculating...it really seems like someone had an axe to grind with him personally (piss someone off in the gym? LE?) and the assumptions were made and the case was reverse engineered in a way.

The fact of the matter is, that's very plausible. Someone jealous, or pissed, lots of talk takes place in gyms, wouldn't be hard for someone to do it..

damn shame too.. helluva lifter.

For the feds to place a tracking device in that shit- and he not see it? They wanted his ass. Bad. Smells like a setup. He is in big trouble- I am very very sorry to say. He will do time. Maybe federal- maybe better quality but no parole. I say 3-5 plea deal. Very sad our government does this sort of thing when we are like bankrupt and there are hungry people.

For the feds to place a tracking device in that shit- and he not see it? They wanted his ass. Bad. Smells like a setup. He is in big trouble- I am very very sorry to say. He will do time. Maybe federal- maybe better quality but no parole. I say 3-5 plea deal. Very sad our government does this sort of thing when we are like bankrupt and there are hungry people.

Exactly.

Bullshit pure and simple. I hope Ryan gets through this as easily as possible.

He mentioned on a radio show that he used to go around town, starting trouble and starting fights with people, and the local police had always wanted to bring him in for something.

Sad part is that 80 vials or whatever he had is probably all for personal use most likely. It seems likely to me that a champion powerlifter may be on a couple grams per week and therfore has to have a lot on hand.

Sad part is that 80 vials or whatever he had is probably all for personal use most likely. It seems likely to me that a champion powerlifter may be on a couple grams per week and therfore has to have a lot on hand.

I don't think so. I read on another board where this was posted that he was running his own lab.

I also read that the bust wasn't about steroids, it was originally a tip on him growing weed.

I was just watching tv and the fed gov spent $300mil on the prohibition and how many billions have we spent on the war on drugs? All for something that does not commit trespasses on fellow man. It sucks to read this stuff each week.

I applied to the FBI once, O shit these little bastard knee pad wearers and the talk of the recruiters made me say Hell no I will not be a pawn for this shit.

A freind of mines's ex boyfriend choked her out in applebee's untill she almost passed out( he was drunk) there were 30 witnesses and he stays the night in jail gets out on a couple thousand dollars bail. this was before t-giving he is still waiting on trial and will get a slap on the wrist. but I am glad that they caught that violent 1000 plus bencher. I mean this is a mans world and girls are possessions and if you are stronger than me then you have to be on steroids and you are a cheater and we will throw you in jail because you are hurting my ego

oh yeah and I agree don't listen to glenn beck

Even with it being a 2nd offense i still bet he gets off with probation and fines, possibly house arrest.

sad to see for the sport of powerlifting but it happens, he probably didnt get busted hard for the 80+vials but more for the fact of the raw powders, the underground lab, and the marijuana growing operation...you would think with all the sponsorship and lifting fame he would be smarter than that to grow and distribute weed, cant guys just sell steroids only jeez:D

Crazy and sad. I know him and this is veery disappointing.

Also he wasn't married. He was at one time.

RP

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity