over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

powerlifter vs. bodybuilder

bigboy05

Registered
First of all I train for strength and size. I'm not a bodybuilder. That's not to say I don't follow bodybuilding, I do, and I find it very interesting. I like all things related to BB and powerlifting.

That being said, why do you think the two give each other so much flack for each others training methods? Powerlifters seem to think they rule the gym because they lift more weight (typically they do) and bodybuilders think powerlifters look like shit (most of the time they do). Granted there are exceptions to every rule. I know we all have different goals but come on now, enough with the attitude, we are all in this together. I guess there is just too much test flowin' through our veins:)

i wasnt even aware that it was a probblem lol

First of all I train for strength and size. I'm not a bodybuilder. That's not to say I don't follow bodybuilding, I do, and I find it very interesting. I like all things related to BB and powerlifting.

That being said, why do you think the two give each other so much flack for each others training methods? Powerlifters seem to think they rule the gym because they lift more weight (typically they do) and bodybuilders think powerlifters look like shit (most of the time they do). Granted there are exceptions to every rule. I know we all have different goals but come on now, enough with the attitude, we are all in this together. I guess there is just too much test flowin' through our veins:)

It's an age old argument.. Powerlifter= weight lifter who's too fat to be a bodybuider.. Bodybuilder= weight lifter whose too weak to be a powerlifter..:D

Im a PLer myself BB just never appealed to me. Its not really the training cause I have done many BB routines and liked them.

I just cant get into the idea of posing on stage in posing trunks and trying to win a competition decided by judges based on how they think I look.;

I would rather go out and try to lift heavy ass weight\, just seems llike more of an accomplishment to me. Its all just personal preference though. The only reason I dont look as good now as when I trainind BB is because I dont diet down I am thicker and carrieng more muscle than ever.

A coworker of mine is a typical bi's/chest (very large biceps) guy with stick legs and mediocre back. He's like 5'11", 150 lbs and has a huge ego, acts like a dick toward everyone, including me. He talks about how he used to be a bouncer. It makes me feel good for him to know I squat and deadlift 900+.... it's like, I'm one upping him at his own game without having to talk trash.

I don't compete against people, this is an isolated situation.

i see powerlifting vs. bodybuilding as more of a brotherly rivalry than an arguement. i'm a powerlifter and have friends who are bodybuilders and we give each other nothing but shit about training, dieting, competition, etc.., but those are the very same guys i hang out with on the weekends and call up if i need help. it all just boils down to what kind of competition you prefer, i don't like dieting down and doing cardio but i love putting a lot of weight on my back and in my hands and showing myself and other people how strong i am, my bodybuilding friends prefer to get on stage a few times a year and show off how ripped they are. it's nothing personal, it's just what you prefer.
Walker

lol. im just making the transition from powerlifting to bodybuilding....and its HARD..I been the strongest dude in my gym for a long time..now as I diet down..I'm geting weaker and weaker...ITS fucken scary..might be the reason why most bodybuilders weak as shit

lol. im just making the transition from powerlifting to bodybuilding....and its HARD..I been the strongest dude in my gym for a long time..now as I diet down..I'm geting weaker and weaker...ITS fucken scary..might be the reason why most bodybuilders weak as shit

You're getting weaker because you're changing the way you lift, not because you're transitioning to bodybuilding. If you had built the muscle and tendon strength to lift the weights without using shirts/wraps/suits and not used the pelvis above the chest bench technique or the 6 inch squat rep, you wouldn't be losing strength so quickly.

You're getting weaker because you're changing the way you lift, not because you're transitioning to bodybuilding. If you had built the muscle and tendon strength to lift the weights without using shirts/wraps/suits and not used the pelvis above the chest bench technique or the 6 inch squat rep, you wouldn't be losing strength so quickly.

Ha ha ha! :a;tion-sm
I have to agree that good form and increasing raw strength over a period of time promote more sustainable gains in quality muscle.

Really?

lol

bro you is dumb

I guess I misworded my thoughts, it seems from his post, that he's dropping strength very quickly, and I.M.O. it sounds like he relied on powerlifting techniques or bench shirts etc., etc. to lift the weight.

I say that because i have a buddy at my gym that suffered the same issue. He hit a 405 bench in a powerlifting meet, 500 dead and squat, did really well.

He then got into bodybuilding, but didnt have to drop weight much because he was pretty lean already. When we changed his form around to start actually contracting the chest, the quads etc, his weights dropped a solid 30% or better in his major lifts.

But again, I'm just an idiot pointing out the obvious. I apologize.

I guess I misworded my thoughts, it seems from his post, that he's dropping strength very quickly, and I.M.O. it sounds like he relied on powerlifting techniques or bench shirts etc., etc. to lift the weight.

I say that because i have a buddy at my gym that suffered the same issue. He hit a 405 bench in a powerlifting meet, 500 dead and squat, did really well.

He then got into bodybuilding, but didnt have to drop weight much because he was pretty lean already. When we changed his form around to start actually contracting the chest, the quads etc, his weights dropped a solid 30% or better in his major lifts.

But again, I'm just an idiot pointing out the obvious. I apologize.

Its prob because he is not using the same techniques that got him that 1400 total. Yeah if I let my elbows flare out and bench of my upper chest rather than keeping tucked, tight arch,benching lower and using leg drive then its going to drop accordingly. You simply cannot beat PL for building strength as that is the entire point.

I used to powerlift years ago , injuies have stopped that , I bodybuild now and I don't think i'm weak at all !!

I think its a basic ego rivalry between the two , I have seen some big fat "powerlifters" that were not as strong as body builders that weighed 30-50lbs less with good abs

I think it much more about how your train

why do you think the two give each other so much flack for each others training methods? )

the perfect meshing of stupidity and ego.

it's funny cuz you got some heavily muscled bodybuilders who are relatively weak for thier size and some powerlifters who don't appear any more athletic than a weekend golfer yet can move huge iron. then you got some powerlifters who could easily just walk onto a bodybuilding stage and hold thier own and some bodybuilders who could total very well in a power meet. me....i like to train with light to moderate weight and lie about my poundages LOL!!

it's funny cuz you got some heavily muscled bodybuilders who are relatively weak for thier size and some powerlifters who don't appear any more athletic than a weekend golfer yet can move huge iron. then you got some powerlifters who could easily just walk onto a bodybuilding stage and hold thier own and some bodybuilders who could total very well in a power meet. me....i like to train with light to moderate weight and lie about my poundages LOL!!

Your body thanks you for that !!

If you think about total amount of weight lifted, most bodybuilders are not weak.

But I do agree, using the correct form that is needed to stimulate optimium growth, will take the numbers down. I lift a little a less weight with better form and grow, but can throw up bigger numbers if all I care about is moving the weight up and down.

Two completely different ways of doing things, but both deserve respect.

i've been a powerlifter for 2 years now and my brother is a bodybuilder and most of my close friends are bodybuilders...the biggest thing i've realized is that there are many fat powerlifters who lift tons of weight but then again there are hybrid powerlifters who lift heavy ass weight then look like a bb...look at shawn frankl, michael cartinian, stan efferding, edward koo....my BB buddy said it best...he wants to look strong not be strong:D but i respect every BB cause watching them pre contest diet is crazy! very much respect for them

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131