over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Powerlifting diet

Remington14

Newbies
As a power lifter do you guys eat every thing in sight? Eat clean? Track macros?

I personally track macros and try to eat as clean as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The diet aspect of training has never been one of my strong points. I just try to eat as much as possible and as clean as I can, but it's not easy. Just eating all the time gets to be monotonous. I'm not a big guy (5'10", 220lbs), so I can only handle so much food in a day. Pizza and burgers are my biggest weakness :)

Same here.. Diet is definitely my weak point, and I need to address it to take my training to the next level.. Just unsure how to go about it

Thanks buddy!!! That's was definitely a good read!

Reason why I like Powerlifting over Bodybuilding is the more laid back diet plan. As long as you don't really have to cut much for a meet and we are getting enough protein we're doing alright haha.

It totally depends on your goals. That is such a broad question. If you are looking to go up a class keep your metabolism slow and eat a few enormous meals a day. If youre looking to stay in a class eat what you need to recover and be maximally strong. Just dont blow too far over your class so your cut down is manageable.

I eat whatever I want in the off season. Its not total shit but I'm not really tracking macros much outside of making sure I eat enough to grow. Once it gets to a competition cycle though I have to eat clean. Its just too hard to train my ass off and not take care of myself nutrition wise. I personally just feel way better without tons of crazy insulin spikes through out my day.

Dan green have an interesting view about nutrition.

"I honestly don't really have a typical day of eating. I prefer to have a lot of eggs and sausage and toast for breakfast, lots of Diet Dr Pepper throughout the day, I'll have meat with rice if it's available or I'll eat burritos or Carl's Jr or whatever is convenient. Just really busy and eating well isn't a priority even if it should be. I just don't really focus on that."

"I would attribute physique much more to what you do than what you eat. NFL players and NBA players, Michael Phelps to name a few areas where people are ripped despite eating loads of fast food...

The reason is because they spend so much time training. Most of the guys who've followed my program tell me that: it's hard, they love the volume (which is high), they're surprised they tolerate it so well, and finally that they're gaining muscle while getting leaner and lighter despite eating MORE... If you want to look like someone who lifts like a monster you must start by lifting like a monster and back it up by fueling up like a monster. I've yet to meet anyone who outeats me because I've always made it a point to outlift people and to out eat them. Train to win, eat to win. Now if you make it your goal to eat obvious junk that's only rich in fats and not protein you will achieve the look of looking like a guy who eats to get fat. But if you just eat meat and eggs for protein as much as possible, and carbs vary up or down depending on your goal being gains or cuts... that's all there is to it. Don't be afraid of a box of cookies either. You'll need the fuel! But you can't eat or supplement your way to awesome lifting if you don't train like it first. "

As a power lifter do you guys eat every thing in sight? Eat clean? Track macros?

I personally track macros and try to eat as clean as possible

The guys that i know that powerlift, id say that eat pretty clean just a lot of food. lots of fattier cuts of red meat, whole eggs, chicken(breast, thighs , wings) and then a decent amount of carbs on top of that.

I track my calories with a phone app and mentally note how much protein. That's pretty much it. I haven't noticed "clean" vs dirty foods affecting my strength. It depends mostly on total calories and to a lesser extent how many carbs.

I agree with the above posts about too much fat is something you gotta watch out for. Fats are really just pointless calories after you get enough for basic health. Much better to replace with carbs, and tastier too :)

I eat whatever I want and just track my macros and adjust them according to if Im trying to lean up or bulk. Diet is key.

For powerlifting I think one of the most important aspects is TIMING. Carbs before during and after your workout like crazy. Candy in the middle of a workout is fantastic, its a quick digesting carb and will keep you energized during your workout. The only time you can justify sugar.

The rest of the day, get your veggies get your fiber get your fats and protein. How clean you eat really just depends on the weight class your going for.

I know I am resurrecting an old thread here but I just don't understand some of the logic from powerlifters when it comes to diet. Candy intraworkout is "fantastic" because it "keeps you energized"? Sounds more like an excuse to eat empty calories. That is just an example

I get it that powerlifting training is demanding and requires high fuel demands. I also understand no one cares what your bodyfat percentage is and that more weight often results in better leverages. I just think their are ways to accomplish the goal that are more efficient and healthier.

The main forum is littered with posts from great bodybuilders like Matt Porter or John Meadows regarding optimal nutrition. Why eat candy when you can use cyclic dextrins and EAA's? I'm not trying to pick on anyone in particular it is just at topic I have thought a lot of recently.

I like the ideas of whole eggs vs whites, chicken thighs vs breasts, fattier cuts of steak, burritos/tacos, real beef patty burgers with hand cut fries, etc. Nothing wrong with good tasting calorically dense food.

The best liftesr on the planet right now are on the leaner side... Hoornstra, Green. Lillibridge(s), Griffin... even Lilly carries his size well. The days of the Rhodestown fad are thankfully gone.

i dont think the diets are really much different....
if AT ALL....

either your into powerlifting......or you like bodybuilding...

i like both....and still train powerlifting style sometimes...
but i couldnt handle the injuries from powerlifting.....

i mean if you really think about it.....and take a hard look...lol
its just insane....."lets see how much i can lift...the most lbs possible,
and hope nothing breaks".....its just CRAZY....but its fun.

:cool:

i dont think the diets are really much different....
if AT ALL....

either your into powerlifting......or you like bodybuilding...

This.

It seems as though most powerlifters generalize bodybuilders as eating the way they do 2 weeks from a show year round. Then they use powerlifting as an excuse to eat sloppy and short change progress in the process. Bodybuilders just seem to try to eek out every bit of efficiency. Not saying I don't enjoy burgers or pizza or ice cream. They're just treats not staples.

At one point I trained with one of the best all time equipped bench pressers. His frequent pre-workout meal... Large Italian hoagie from Wawa, side of mac and cheese and a 32oz Mt Dew with a Red Bull poured in. I don't know how he didn't puke lol. Granted he was 340lbs and could still do strict wide grip pull ups. So it worked for him. I just always wondered if he'd have performed even better if he had eaten better. Not saying egg whites and tilapia but something better than relying on Wawa.

Daily Intake (approximate):
200g protein
300g carbs
100g fats (healthy)

just for suggestion

I actually just hired the same guy that does my friends bodybuilding preps. I'm trying to cut down from a light 275 (272) down to 242s. Then start a slow controlled bulk back to 275 over the next year.

I do feel much better eating clean. Since I'm paying for the diet it makes me stick with it much better. I figured I could hire him for 6 months then after that I'd know how to do it more on my own.

I will recommend 2 things that you might concern
1stly, Oysters have a relatively low amount of fat. However, interesting oyster nutrition facts including the presence of omega-3 fatty acids. Even though existing in minimal amount, it still has positive impacts on our health. On the other hand, oysters are full of important proteins, vitamins and minerals. You can get a lot of vitamin C, D, B12, niacin, thiamine, or iron, manganese, selenium… Above all, the most important oyster nutrition facts should be the richness of zinc. Oysters deserve top position in the list of foods with considerable content of zinc. You can see more in this: https://wikihomenutrition.com/oysters-health-benefits/
2ndly, Sardines are a good take-along protein source. Just peel the top off the metal can and munch on them after a workout, but be sure to brush your teeth afterwards. Each small fish you pop into your mouth has 8 grams of protein and only 70 calories. Sardines are also loaded with healthy omega-3 fats that help to reduce inflammation. Enjoy them with whole grain crackers and mustard or toss them on onto a salad or into your next batch of homemade spaghetti sauce. They’re a good break from canned tuna. Sardines can be easily found in high-quality extra-virgin olive oil. More important is their function in making leucine, an amino acid, more effective in its role as the catalyst for protein synthesis. Some research also suggests that omega-3 fats can actually help older people overcome agerelated deficits in anabolism, making omega-3s especially important for older lifters.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11423233

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity