over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

powerlifting wide stance squat and flexibility

mtygorilla

Newbies
I have decided that I want to switch my stance from slightly wider than shoulder width to a more traditional powerlifting wide stance. Some things I have noticed is my lack of hip flexibility and my lower back tilt at the bottom of my squat. What specific stretches or other exercises may help me with my flexibility, with a low bar placement wide stance squat? What tips in general would you give somebody just beginning powerlifting (squats) who is an experienced lifter? Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
I know goblet squats helped me open up that flexibility a bit. I use it as a warm up generally prior to squatting.

I also would say that front squats are a great suppliment if you are not already doing those.

I just started hip belt squats and it's requiring me to use a wider stance. My quads are screaming after these hip belt squats not to mention glutes and hams. My problem now is finding the right set up to add more weight. But yes promotes wider stance and more on the quads hams glutes and less on the back. Maybe you could do use these to supplement your squat program. I love these straight out for squating.

I appreciate both of these responses. I will try both the goblet and hip belt squats and see if these help me out. Any other ideas and techniques would be appreciated.

I just started hip belt squats and it's requiring me to use a wider stance. My quads are screaming after these hip belt squats not to mention glutes and hams. My problem now is finding the right set up to add more weight. But yes promotes wider stance and more on the quads hams glutes and less on the back. Maybe you could do use these to supplement your squat program. I love these straight out for squating.

So you use a regular dip belt? What's your set up like

I appreciate both of these responses. I will try both the goblet and hip belt squats and see if these help me out. Any other ideas and techniques would be appreciated.

What about some sumo deads since yiu can just put the weight down if the position is too much. Not sure what your question is about back angle?

So you use a regular dip belt? What's your set up like

Right now my set up is a dip belt with 3 and last time 4 45lbs plates. did 3 sets for 20 reps. It was f***king great! I was exhausted on the last set. But to wrap the chain around the 45s took a while and I had to be careful getting up on my super stools and getting off. Thats it, I ca't do more than that. Not possible with this dip belt and I'm thinking the chain will pop during the whole time. But my quads glutes and hams are screaming after that last set and I go deep.... butt all the way down :eek: Love these..now I'm waiting for my hip belt from Ironmind and the pins.

Black widow makes these power rack inserts that you need to see. Pretty cool

Are you getting the one with barbell hooks between the knees or the front only.

Are you getting the one with barbell hooks between the knees or the front only.

if you mean the belt I'm getting this one

**broken link removed**

It comes with barbell hook up but right now I'm gonna hook the front to a loading pin.

Went to the Black Widow site....nice equipment there! going to do a little window web shopping :D

He just made my friend band pegs that bolt into the floor. For 100 custom.
Gonna bolt them to wood. He has more shit and pics on Facebook.

Last edited:
Sumo deads is a good idea as well.

Working the hip muscles is going to be essential. I incorporate single leg squats into my leg routines for a few weeks on and off. Helps a lot and you hardly need any weight.

I have decided that I want to switch my stance from slightly wider than shoulder width to a more traditional powerlifting wide stance. Some things I have noticed is my lack of hip flexibility and my lower back tilt at the bottom of my squat. What specific stretches or other exercises may help me with my flexibility, with a low bar placement wide stance squat? What tips in general would you give somebody just beginning powerlifting (squats) who is an experienced lifter? Thanks for the comments.

Are you planning on competing in multi-ply gear (squat suit)? If so then a wide stance will definitely benefit you. However if you plan to compete raw as I do or even single ply that super wide stance is rarely used. There are a few big time lifters that are successful raw with that super wide squat but most of the big squats you'll see are in multiply gear and the big raw squats are a close or medium stance squat.

Are you planning on competing in multi-ply gear (squat suit)? If so then a wide stance will definitely benefit you. However if you plan to compete raw as I do or even single ply that super wide stance is rarely used. There are a few big time lifters that are successful raw with that super wide squat but most of the big squats you'll see are in multiply gear and the big raw squats are a close or medium stance squat.

I would like to compete in multi-ply gear someday in the masters (40+) class. This will be a few years as I have just begun training again after a 10 year layoff. I have decided that while squating raw, a narrower stance is what will work best for me. My lack of flexibility with a wide stance and weak lower portion of the squat with my legs out wide helped me to make this decision. My strength is coming back rather quickly though. When I first started doing squats 8 weeks ago, I hit 300x5 on my first workout. I had maybe a few more in the tank but not a great deal. Today, on my first day of my 8th week, I hit a solid slightly below parallel with 455x1. I am 5'11 at 230 and many years ago I was considerably stronger, but I am thrilled with my progress.

Congrats on your progress. Sounds like you are on the right track. I have found that without support equipment like briefs or a suit that the wide stance really tears my hips up so definitely would recommend sticking with a narrow or medium stance if you are close to 40 like I am. Good luck with your training.

I just began hip buckle the go and it's demanding me to use a broader position. My quadriceps are shouting after these hip buckle the go in addition to butt and hams. My issue now is discovering the right set up to add more bodyweight. But yes encourages broader position and more on the quadriceps hams butt and less on the returning. Maybe you could do use these to complement your go system. I really like these directly out for squatting.

**broken link removed**

I saw this video a long time ago and have always incorporated it into my leg warmup days...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiA0-IatUrY"]DeFrancosTraining.com - sample mobility drills - YouTube[/ame]

usually I do like a quick 10mins of core work to warm up into the agile 8 and some terminal knee extension with a band a few jumps around 80% effort and a few more hip opening exercises.

Anyway, that's just what I do not saying I have it all figured out.

I just began hip buckle the go and it's demanding me to use a broader position. My quadriceps are shouting after these hip buckle the go in addition to butt and hams. My issue now is discovering the right set up to add more bodyweight. But yes encourages broader position and more on the quadriceps hams butt and less on the returning. Maybe you could do use these to complement your go system. I really like these directly out for squatting.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOo23g5y1t4]Fitness Business Ideas[/ame]

Good thing mate basically doing this all can really be good,And i guess this is one of the finest things when it comes to maintaing your lower body.
Appreciate you guys for this all.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity