over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Pre workout meal

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
What is your pre workout meal and when do you consume it?

I get off work then have my first and pre workout meal. Usually egg whites omlette with mushrooms then sliced apples and peaches with fruit. About 80g protein 100 g carbs. Its usually 90 minutes before I train then I'll be in the gym 1.5 hour then drive 30 minutes home and make my next meal. This is why I opt for something slow digesting and about 700 calories because I don't have my post workout meal until 4 hours later.

I know some people say a pre workout meal should be smaller and easy digesting because you don't want your body digesting it while training. I think John Meadows said 30g pro 40g carbs in a video I saw . I'm guessing however they are hitting the gym immediately after eating?

I know some people say no fat, some people say you should get some efa. Some say it makes no difference eat what you enjoy.

Just wondering what everyone here has pre and why. Even when I ran humalin r, I would have a similar meal. Sometimes instead of fruit it was potatoes or hash browns but never liquid or kids cereal, just made sure I was covered at 10g carb per iu and was fine, smarties in my gym bad if needed but never did

Im a weird one where I mostly enjoy working out first thing in the morning.
No food, no nothing. Get up, take vitamins, GH, drink a quick preWO and then im off.
I DO drink an intraWO drink though. So 25-50g of carbs + 10-20g aminos. I wouldnt do this without an intra.

But i feel mentally fresh, strong and wide away like this. Toward the end of the day i get a little sluggish and im always paying attention to digestion.
I do not like lifting on a fall stomach at all. So IF i keep a WO at the end of the day, im making sure that PreWO meal is like 2-3hrs ahead of time.

I do like john's protocol, which Andrew Berry had me to do the same thing. COR + PB + whey. Delicious and quick.

Usually just a shake when I wake up then workout 1.5-2 hours later

2 scoop whey isolate
1/2-1 cup oats
banana
blueberries
raw honey
NPB
cinnamon

I get off work then have my first and pre workout meal. Usually egg whites omlette with mushrooms then sliced apples and peaches with fruit. About 80g protein 100 g carbs. Its usually 90 minutes before I train then I'll be in the gym 1.5 hour then drive 30 minutes home and make my next meal. This is why I opt for something slow digesting and about 700 calories because I don't have my post workout meal until 4 hours later.

I know some people say a pre workout meal should be smaller and easy digesting because you don't want your body digesting it while training. I think John Meadows said 30g pro 40g carbs in a video I saw . I'm guessing however they are hitting the gym immediately after eating?

I know some people say no fat, some people say you should get some efa. Some say it makes no difference eat what you enjoy.

Just wondering what everyone here has pre and why. Even when I ran humalin r, I would have a similar meal. Sometimes instead of fruit it was potatoes or hash browns but never liquid or kids cereal, just made sure I was covered at 10g carb per iu and was fine, smarties in my gym bad if needed but never did
My pre-workout meal is dinner the night before my morning workout, that between 6am and 7am.

30 minutes of cardio at 10 calories per minute.

Weights, 45 minutes.

Stretching, 30 minutes to 1 hr.

That from a light dinner at ~5pm.

Never noticed much of a difference eating an hour or two pre-workout except a bit of lethargy.

I've actually trained fasted for a period of time like you guys and was fine. I was dieting hard, would wake up at 5 am and not be able to pass out. Rather than do nothing waiting for work I'd just hit the gym so I didn't have to lift after. Had great workouts, no less pump, no loss of strength. I would have kept doing it but everywhere you look its the "science" saying how suboptimal it is. I finally gave in and just went back to having the P + C pre just to be on the safe side. But training fasted was great, a monster was all I needed.

16 oz eggwhites and a banana and orange juice and almond butter

About an hour later when I train I’ll have 2scoops huma pro in a Gatorade.

#1)
4oz shredded chicken breast with 4oz seafood boil red potatoes (a few garlic and mushrooms) 20g butter.

#2)
2 whole scrambled eggs , 3oz boiled shrimp , 30g shredded cheese and a little salsa on an 8 inch tortilla as a breakfast burrito.

Generally 2 hr or a little more before working out (my digestive is very slow now)

#1)
4oz shredded chicken breast with 4oz seafood boil red potatoes (a few garlic and mushrooms) 20g butter.

#2)
2 whole scrambled eggs , 3oz boiled shrimp , 30g shredded cheese and a little salsa on an 8 inch tortilla as a breakfast burrito.

Generally 2 hr or a little more before working out (my digestive is very slow now)
This sounds good, i used to eat shrimp daily but the $. Is it one of those low carb wraps? Wish they weren't so high in fiber

80/100 carbs from Cream of rice + 5/10 fats from peanut butter + 40/50 protein from whey isolate : for me is the best pre workout ; 1:00 /1.30 pre workout

There was a time when I didn,t trained fasted and my meal was :
1 scope of isolate mixed in coconut water
4 rice cakes salted caramel
1 banana
1 square of dark chocolate 90%
Boy oh boy- the pump….

This sounds good, i used to eat shrimp daily but the $. Is it one of those low carb wraps? Wish they weren't so high in fiber
I use the regular Mission brand flour tortillas.
I think they are 25g carb each with very little fiber.
I'm lucky that living here on the coast we have an abundance of seafood and i do some work for several local fisherman on their boats repairing stuff so I get hooked up with free shrimp , oysters and crabs often.
Adding In something different now and they is definitely a huge help when , dieting especially when trying to eat a lot , the same shit over and over gets so old.

How many egg whites are you eating to get 80 grams of protein?

My pre-workout is 2 to 4 whole eggs and some white rice along with free form aminos taken 1 to 2 hours before the workout.

Im a weird one where I mostly enjoy working out first thing in the morning.
No food, no nothing. Get up, take vitamins, GH, drink a quick preWO and then im off.
I DO drink an intraWO drink though. So 25-50g of carbs + 10-20g aminos. I wouldnt do this without an intra.

But i feel mentally fresh, strong and wide away like this. Toward the end of the day i get a little sluggish and im always paying attention to digestion.
I do not like lifting on a fall stomach at all. So IF i keep a WO at the end of the day, im making sure that PreWO meal is like 2-3hrs ahead of time.

I do like john's protocol, which Andrew Berry had me to do the same thing. COR + PB + whey. Delicious and quick.
I second the COR, PB, and Whey

Just a question , why do you not like the fiber ?
Just try to avoid pre workout because it slows down digestion. I don't want a carb powder that digests super quick because I usually train 60 minutes to 90 minutes after, but I don't want 30g fiber in my pre meal either so it slows down everything. The low carb wraps I think have 15g fiber each.

How many egg whites are you eating to get 80 grams of protein?

My pre-workout is 2 to 4 whole eggs and some white rice along with free form aminos taken 1 to 2 hours before the workout.
I use the cartons from sam's club. I think 1 is 200 calories and 50 g, I usually use 1.5. not a fan of egg whites so I'll add mushrooms them use garlic, oregano, and some Parmesan cheese to make an omelette.

I usually eat 360g protein per day and am not into shakes so have to cram it all in after work from 4-11pm so it's 4 big meals (pre, post, then 2 p+f meals before bed). Im thinking of maybe having a shake before work to get down 400 calories so I'm not cramming as much in later. But I've always liked the intermittent fasting approach since I started using it when I dieted hard a few years ago. Now I'm at maintenance so may be more ideal to spread things out more.

Any typical meal will do as long as you don't overeat. Food volume plays a big part in post meal fatigue so the key is eating the right foods at the right amount or simply allowing enough time for your meal to digest before training. Although I am the type who prefers having something in my stomach when training so on the rare occasion I have ate and maybe stayed out an extra hour and I want to train I prefer having a little snack such as a banana just to fill me a little. Whey with nut butter and a banana or carb powder (cor) is popular and can do the same job as something small but effective.

Now for 99% of my workouts I typically eat something like steak, jasmine rice and pineapple. If I train earlier then I will have oats, whey protein and a banana in almond or oat milk. For me the optimal mix is a meal containing protein, carbs and some fats and a piece of fruit. I often add a square or 2 of 85% dark chocolate to my preworkout meal if I want more healthy fats and an extra boost.

Any typical meal will do as long as you don't overeat. Food volume plays a big part in post meal fatigue so the key is eating the right foods at the right amount or simply allowing enough time for your meal to digest before training. Although I am the type who prefers having something in my stomach when training so on the rare occasion I have ate and maybe stayed out an extra hour and I want to train I prefer having a little snack such as a banana just to fill me a little. Whey with nut butter and a banana or carb powder (cor) is popular and can do the same job as something small but effective.

Now for 99% of my workouts I typically eat something like steak, jasmine rice and pineapple. If I train earlier then I will have oats, whey protein and a banana in almond or oat milk. For me the optimal mix is a meal containing protein, carbs and some fats and a piece of fruit. I often add a square or 2 of 85% dark chocolate to my preworkout meal if I want more healthy fats and an extra boost.
Good information. What about the fruit helps vs other carb sources? Potassium? Also never heard about the chocolate pre, better than fish oil?

Good information. What about the fruit helps vs other carb sources? Potassium? Also never heard about the chocolate pre, better than fish oil?

Don't over think it. They are all good but with dark chocolate a small amount is good and I wouldn't recommend large amounts as it's very high in saturated fat. But sure there are usually very detailed reasons why I use certain things but it makes a small difference in the grand scheme. If I have steak I use a lot of pink salt for the sodium. The steak itself contains many things including potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, vitb12 etc. The banana is used for taste but also it's magnesium and potassium and I digest it very easily. If you want to eat a fruit for potassium go with avocado.

Dark chocolate contains a small amount of caffeine but it doesn't really matter if you are dosing preworkout powder :D Dark chocolate also contains potassium, magnesium, calcium, copper and fibre. Dark chocolate also increases nitric oxide levels and can reduce blood pressure but the preworkout powder also has that covered as well. Dark chocolate is often my treat and preworkout is the best time to consume it so that's the main reason I will have it. As posted I like to have some fats preworkout just to slow things down as I process carbs very fast so it's ideal for that purpose.

I consume a lot of things that are nutrient dense (anti-oxidants, flavonoids, vitamins and minerals etc) for health and well being. That's the main reason I consume things like dark chocolate, blueberries and blackberries etc. Fish oil is great and I have that twice daily regardless of other things. Although right now I am using a mix of flaxseed, fish and krill oil at approx 4g twice daily. Regarding carb sources find what suits you best but in regards to performance having fructose with glucose is better than glucose alone because the combo will improve endurance and replenish glycogen faster which could lead to improved recovery from training. For me though it's all about the taste and the health benefits. I also use pineapple for the bromelain content which assists numerous things. I will say if you really want to be anal about things you should avoid anything that can effect the inflammatory process after training but a bit of pineapple is not going to do much of anything and it tastes great.

Don't over think it. They are all good but with dark chocolate a small amount is good and I wouldn't recommend large amounts as it's very high in saturated fat. But sure there are usually very detailed reasons why I use certain things but it makes a small difference in the grand scheme. If I have steak I use a lot of pink salt for the sodium. The steak itself contains many things including potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, vitb12 etc. The banana is used for taste but also it's magnesium and potassium and I digest it very easily. If you want to eat a fruit for potassium go with avocado.

Dark chocolate contains a small amount of caffeine but it doesn't really matter if you are dosing preworkout powder :D Dark chocolate also contains potassium, magnesium, calcium, copper and fibre. Dark chocolate also increases nitric oxide levels and can reduce blood pressure but the preworkout powder also has that covered as well. Dark chocolate is often my treat and preworkout is the best time to consume it so that's the main reason I will have it. As posted I like to have some fats preworkout just to slow things down as I process carbs very fast so it's ideal for that purpose.

I consume a lot of things that are nutrient dense (anti-oxidants, flavonoids, vitamins and minerals etc) for health and well being. That's the main reason I consume things like dark chocolate, blueberries and blackberries etc. Fish oil is great and I have that twice daily regardless of other things. Although right now I am using a mix of flaxseed, fish and krill oil at approx 4g twice daily. Regarding carb sources find what suits you best but in regards to performance having fructose with glucose is better than glucose alone because the combo will improve endurance and replenish glycogen faster which could lead to improved recovery from training. For me though it's all about the taste and the health benefits. I also use pineapple for the bromelain content which assists numerous things. I will say if you really want to be anal about things you should avoid anything that can effect the inflammatory process after training but a bit of pineapple is not going to do much of anything and it tastes great.
I'm the same as you, big believer in nutrient dense food. I only take in 3k a day, One reason why I make it all food and stay away from shakes. If I was at 5k wouldn't be as big a deal. I love rice cakes and would like them pre but zero nutrients.

Today I kept the omlette but rather than fruit had shredded potatoes, mixed it up a little. Then an apple and 2 peaches chopped up post mixed with some Greek yogurt and a rice cake covered in cinnamon.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131