over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Precontest 2/day training - AM motor recruitment/PM Hypertorphy

snrose07

Registered
Everytime I precontest I like to take the knowledge and ideas I have gained since the last time I prepped and try new things. I plan on starting prep mid-late January, so I am brainstorming now.

I hoping to get feedback from anyone who has used the training principle where you train heavy and explosive in the am, not to absolute failure, but more to train for motor unit recruitment and explosiveness. There is then supposed to be a drop in nervous system activity or however you want to say it. Basically a recovery period for the nervous system from the heavy lifting, but then about 4-6 hours later an overcompensation effect where there is like an over excitation and raise in ability to produce power and motor unit recruitment, this is when you come back to the gym and focus solely on hypertrophy.

I want to use this method in pre contest. I'm lucky enough to have the schedule to allow for it. I planned on (an reading the article by Charles Poliquin about following John Meadows's protocol confirmed this plan) keeping my diet pro/fat prior to the AM session. Probably mostly coconut oil/MCT prior to training. Mainly EAA's during the AM session. I figured that... A. I would capitalize more on motor recruitment with no carbs as seratonin depresses the nervous system (Thinking about this now, some caffeine, huperzine A and/or choline pre training might be beneficial) B. The am session would not be terribly glycogen demanding.

Following the Am session I will probably have about 1/3 of my alotted carbs. Then I will include the rest of my carb intake in my peri-workout window of the PM hypertrophy session. So I will probably start my contest prep at about 500g carbs. So 150g-166g will be post AM session. 330-340g will fall in my peri workout window.

This is my current split for the last few months following mountain dog principles, and I possibly may want to keep this when I start this program, depending on how recovery goes. May just put arms alone with shoulders when I start this.

Day 1 - Chest/few sets of tris
day 2 - Back/Few sets of bis
Day 3 - Shoulders/Arm volume work
Day 4 - Legs
Day 5 (start split over) - Chest/few sets of tris
Day 6 - Back/Few sets of bis
Day 7 - OFF
REPEAT SPLIT CYCLE WHERE I LEFT OFF

So for guys with experience with this kind of training, do you have any critiques or advice. I don't see recovery being more of an issue than I'm used to with this split because the AM session is not supposed to be terribly muscle damaging. HOWEVER, I may run into recovery issues deeper into the diet. I would like to see the double training allow me to preterition my nutrients better, This along with lifting twice a day should also allow me to need less cardio. More lifting, less cardio, should allow me to stay fuller and harder through prep too.

I welcome all to discuss this.

Last edited:
Just to also add, I just switched from my volume routine back to DC training. As I wind down the last few months here, I feel I can retain more muscle as I begin to cruise and I should be able to develop some of my strength/power to be ready to go when I start this platform. By that time too it will be a good stimulus change from DC to 6 day a week, 2x a day power/volume to help promote new growth.

I've tried it. Honestly it's fucking tough man. It's just a lot of overall stress on your body. Many guys know you try to put TOO much through the machine it'll shut down. Two a day training is just a lot of metabolic/musculoskeletal/digestive/cns stress. I'll go back to training 1x per day next prep.

And you're right...once cals get low that's when it becomes an issue. Even keeping volume in check in the AM session it's still tough. At that point as well it's hard to keep on mentally generating the intensity needed for the PM session since you feel like you're training 24/7 IMO.

Last edited:
I've tried it. Honestly it's fucking tough man. It's just a lot of overall stress on your body. Many guys know you try to put TOO much through the machine it'll shut down. Two a day training is just a lot of metabolic/musculoskeletal/digestive/cns stress. I'll go back to training 1x per day next prep.

And you're right...once cals get low that's when it becomes an issue. Even keeping volume in check in the AM session it's still tough. At that point as well it's hard to keep on mentally generating the intensity needed for the PM session since you feel like you're training 24/7 IMO.

I have done something similar but eventually my body burned out- and I had to go back to a more traditional method, usually end up back with and EOD training style until my body feels ready for splits and higher volume.

Personally I don't think I'd try it unless utilizing pre workout insulin, as that makes recovery not nearly as much of an issue...I got exhausted just reading it.

If you naturally tend to have great recovery it could be worth a shot I guess. Just seems like too much for ME.

Insulin and gh will be used during the hypertrophy part of training. Well gh multiple times. I don't plan on making am brutal as to break down a lot of tissue. More to hit a fee heavy explosive movements as to prep the cns for the pm phase when the damage will be done.

Does anyone know how John Meadows is going about his 2x a day workouts?

If I was dead set on trying something like this it would be 1 body part once a week while trying to grow while eating lots and not focusing on dieting

Insulin and gh will be used during the hypertrophy part of training. Well gh multiple times. I don't plan on making am brutal as to break down a lot of tissue. More to hit a fee heavy explosive movements as to prep the cns for the pm phase when the damage will be done.

Does anyone know how John Meadows is going about his 2x a day workouts?
Well that might change the game a little bit...if you do this, let us know how it goes!

I have done something similar but eventually my body burned out- and I had to go back to a more traditional method, usually end up back with and EOD training style until my body feels ready for splits and higher volume.

Ya...all systems just felt run down 24/7. I've tried it offseason too with a good amount of growth, lots of food, log around training and a ton of rest (2 30 minute naps a day plus 8 hours sleep a night). Muscularly I was recovering amazingly, and strength was skyrocketing....but man after about 2 weeks I just couldn't hack it mentally. You have to make training an event IMO. You stay in there all day and it's just tough to generate that animalistic instinct that's needed to move some heavy fucking weights.

If you decide to do it please let us know how it worked out for you? Seems very demanding, but that shouldn't be a reason not to try it. Keep us posted.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws