Prep Coach Carousel

cm

IFBB PRO / Kilo Klub Member
IFBB PROS
Registered
I wanted to get some feedback from people who hired/fired coaches

and

coaches themselves.

how do you handle the swapping? the firing?

I am in the middle of a horrendously stressful situation over a client who is trying their hand at the national level for the first time after a amazingly dominating year (won all 7 shows entered throughout the year).

also important: when they started with another trainer who stopped doing contest prep they placed 8th. after this I was hired

I find myself pouring a tremendous amount of myself into these people and genuinely care about them, their family, and their well being

Out of the blue they are looking to swap or get rid of me and it sort of feels like a break up if you will.

I examine it from a business standpoint, use other sports and how brutal they are to athletes as examples and clarity, but I cannot seem to ever not take it personally

I realize the obvious answer is to move on, dont chase those who have removed themselves from your life, as they have been removed for a reason, but that is easier said then done (for me at least)

Just curious if others have any experience one way or the other and what was your process

Appreciate any feedback here as this board is loaded with a bunch of great dudes who value this sport as much as I do, and I am thankful for the insight

-c

CM, based on your post, you are not approaching it from a business standpoint. I own a business and have "fired" some customers as they were just too much to deal with and actually cost me money, not worth it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting intimately involved with your clients (unless they're married lol) and knowing them personally, but you have to be able to separate business and personal feelings. Do they tell you why they're leaving or just bounce?

understand this 100%

business is business, but we as prep coaches sometimes have to deal with more then just diet and training as you know. the mental side, the support system breakdowns etc

i mean how many relationships dont make it through contest preps every year

sometimes we are the voice of reason, the person to lean on and it almost has to be this way

intimacy would never reach the level you speak of either
I hold myself to very professional standards and this would never be possibility. never

understand this 100%

business is business, but we as prep coaches sometimes have to deal with more then just diet and training as you know. the mental side, the support system breakdowns etc

i mean how many relationships dont make it through contest preps every year

sometimes we are the voice of reason, the person to lean on and it almost has to be this way

intimacy would never reach the level you speak of either
I hold myself to very professional standards and this would never be possibility. never

I was just kidding with that, just wanted to say that I was in no way eluding to THAT kind of intimacy

Seems like in this "sport" everyone is seeking the "magic" recipe. They always feel there is more they can do, be doing, or there is some big secret they have to pay so and so for.

So no matter what you do, and how well a person does, they see someone/something else, and think there is something super secret, or "magical" this person can offer them. THIS will take them to that next level. Then they get the diet/training and it is nothing innovative, until they jump on the next bandwagon.lol

I always found this kind of comical really. So you give a client a diet/training, whatever. They do amazingly well, make great progress, etc. They bump into another "coach" or even some jabroni at the gym, and they ask your client "so what does your diet/training look like" The client tells them a little about what they are doing and get met with "Oh...ahh.. Yea that is completely wrong. You should be doing it this way...." LOL Despite that persons success, and progress they start to question everything, and second guessing what YOU are telling them.

You could literally have god himself write a diet, and everyone will have some criticism about it, and say "you should be doing it THIS way".

Well from where I sit when they do it , I wish them the best.
If someone gives someone a winning formula and they want to gamble on someone elses formula thinking it may make them a better competitor its a gamble for them.
Clients will come and go, and from what I have seen from people who have come to me and described what their so called wonder super high dollar expensive coaches have been doing to them, most of them do not have a clue.
Especially a lot of pros.
People get good reps on clients with good genetics a lot of the times but show me someone who get results on ALL their clients, especially someone who can do it for both genders and Ill show you someone who has the flexibility and compatibility to do it for anyone.
Perfect example is my roommate he's used some big names- expensive guys and got next to ZERO results.
Now he's gone to someone I recommended and gotten some of the best results.

I agree that you are taking this more personally, you are only human I can understand it, but if you are as good as it sounds, let them walk, Im betting good money they come back because they don't get the super results they are expecting from the next guy.
This business is a shady one for sure, but if you are getting guys results like you got that guy, you are an exception to the rule.

I've been able to box up those feelings 90% and ignore them.

That 10% that sticks around, REALLY gets to me, as it seems it does to you.

I never found a solution to that when I was training. I had another job fall in my lap that I had to accept. So it wasn't a long term problem for me.

If I you figure it out, or if someone posts it, I'd love to hear it. I always took it personal.

You could literally have god himself write a diet, and everyone will have some criticism about it, and say "you should be doing it THIS way".

Satan's diet is better. He uses underground supps. :D

This business is a shady one for sure, but if you are getting guys results like you got that guy, you are an exception to the rule.

TY
I Needed this

and btw it is a female

I've been able to box up those feelings 90% and ignore them.

That 10% that sticks around, REALLY gets to me, as it seems it does to you.

this is a great way to describe it, except i'm not at 90 yet :banghead:

TY
I Needed this

and btw it is a female

Just from reading along i figured it was a female. You sure your not catching feelings? I dont compete so therefore i dont coach, but i understand the issues you are going through. No body likes to lose clients/business... I am a salesman so i know the feeling.

You think her being a woman is whats making it worse?

I think and this is my personal opinion, is that everyone is looking for the next best thing anymore. Instead of sticking with consitency, wether its a coach, diet or training protocol.

Also alot of coaches out there will tell somone thats ur client, hey i guarantee i can help u place better or make u look better etc. etc. and a lot of times people listen

Just from reading along i figured it was a female. You sure your not catching feelings? I dont compete so therefore i dont coach, but i understand the issues you are going through. No body likes to lose clients/business... I am a salesman so i know the feeling.

You think her being a woman is whats making it worse?

I am happily married with children and she and my wife both enjoy each others company. It is a business relationship that is friendly, but in no way goes there. As I said earlier, I hold myself to strict professional standards and this would be the dumbest thing for me to do for my career. After 17+ years in the fitness industry, it would have happened by now, but it never will. most of trainers come and go for reasons like sleeping around all the time.
there are no feelings except disappointment and betrayal at this point

As I have said before, you get involved with your clients, and they almost become close friends. Sometimes you find yourself living vicariously through them. When that happens, it's very difficult to not feel something when they move on. I'm not ashamed to say that my clients become like my own children to me. I believe in them 100%. So when they want to move on to something else, it's almost a feeling of rejection to a certain degree.

Do you do any kind of follow-up survey or questionnaire? That way you could see where you may be coming up short with certain clients. Allow it to be anonymous also so you can get more honest feedback.

I've only had one coach as I've only done one show. I did well and enjoyed the experience, but I won't be using him bc of lack of communication, particularly on the day of the show.

When you are passionate about what you do its much harder to accept the loss of a client - but its that passion that separates you from your competition!! On one hand you cant let the loss of the client "cripple" you - but if it didn't matter to you in the least I would say that you lack the passion needed for success in ANY business.
Just focus on your other clients and trust your abilities. You may find that your client comes back to you and those are the best at giving referrals.

I am happily married with children and she and my wife both enjoy each others company. It is a business relationship that is friendly, but in no way goes there. As I said earlier, I hold myself to strict professional standards and this would be the dumbest thing for me to do for my career. After 17+ years in the fitness industry, it would have happened by now, but it never will. most of trainers come and go for reasons like sleeping around all the time.
there are no feelings except disappointment and betrayal at this point

Got it !!! Sorry just had to ask. I think a few of the other guys make great points. You are obviously very passionate about what you do and you dont want to lose a friend/client after pouring your heart and soul into their success. It hard to move on in any industry, but in this particular industry there is more of a personal connection.

Jeremy had a good point that everyone is looking for the next best thing these days, and they want immediate results. With all the competition these days, as there seems to be more and more trainers and coaches its easy for your clients to get poached. It doesnt meant the other trainer is better, they might just be more of a salesman and approached them on the right day at the right time and just got them to switch.

Listen to Marvin the Martian and just put that energy into the clients you do have and you will forget about it soon enough.

I didn't do contest prep-went to school for four yrs and got a degree in exercise and health science and EVERY time I lost a client is felt like a personal failure-also wasn't content with my lazy ones. I bowed out of the industry and have a lot more fun being a swole plumber with a bachelors on my wall.

I have one client out of 20, who complains about everything I give them....after a few weeks, they said they were getting weaker and want a refund....I give my client brand new workouts every single day.....theres been a few times they had to reuse a workout, but for the most part I give them brand new workouts every week.....I dont know that any other coach takes the time to do this, but that one client told me they didnt like the workouts and wants me to redesign every thing to their liking ....wholly cow....it takes me like 5 hours and this one kid is complaining and also doesnt like the diet now....jeesh....I guess you guys are right, they want this super secret workout and its my fault that they are getting weaker........................all that being said....my other 19 guys are absolutely amazing.......seriously, every single one of them is a pleasure to deal with......I wish I had even more time to spend, bc some days, I'm just limited with how many questions I can answer......I really wish I had started doing this online coaching thing many years ago because it's so satisfying to see my guys and gals make progress.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131