over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Prep Coach Hierarchy

bd868484

Registered
So I decided after getting it handed to me after the Jr USA that I would hire a coach. I am obviously not going to name names but just wanted some input.

I train clients online and have 2 competing in the nationals for a possible pro card. I am not saying I know it all but I know my fair share having competed for 10 years, a bachelors in ex. phys and nutrition, own my own training facility, and online training business.

What do you do when you do not believe in the system in place, the lack of communication and in depth answers to questions, im fat as hell and havent made much progress thus far to be honest and very frustrating after dropping 1000s of dollars.

My plans are not well organized and looks to be sent in a hurry with no real changes.

It is the offseason and I know you have to eat to grow but I am very carb sensitive and cannot eat carbs literally every meal with slin 2x/day and not gain fat. I was never given a clear goal as to where I need to add mass or what I am trying to do in the first place.

When coming off a contest I am a big believer in increasing food slowly and not pounding food from the start. My worse fears were realized and have put way to much fat on my body and now I am doing as much cardio as I would pre contest if not more.

This is very irritating and quite frankly depressing. I figured having a more experienced high level coach would help me.

Any help would be great. I dont have any bodybuilding friends to share with so I figured this would be the best place as I have been a member of the board for about 8 years now.

I'm somewhat worried that coaches with pro athletes do not pay that great attention to someone lower in the ranks as myself. I tend to view all my clients as equals and constantly do check ups on everything. Not the case at all.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Get a new coach bro, been there myself and it's frustrating. I've worked with many different guys, and the more popular they are I have found to be the least suited for me.

I would never call myself a coach but one of my friends went through the same thing as you, he dropped this fuckup who's an IFFB pro btw and came to me after dropping big money on this screw up for a pre contest coaching where the guy left him on baseline and he was 13 weeks out with 18 weeks of bodyfat.
He came to me, and Im no coach but with basics I got the guy leaned out pretty well so far and Im not charging him a dime, just gonna help him since he got fucked over.
Get this, when he informs this dummy hes quitting and getting my help the guy throws a tantrum saying 'oh I thought a pro card was in your future'
I told my buddy, I agree, difference is Ill treat you like I believe that.

Personally for me I have always done my own dieting and had someone take me in the last 4-6 weeks.
Kevin DeHaven has been my prep guy for a long time now, and I wouldnt hesitiate to reccomend him to anyone else.

Sounds like you know what your body needs to do, but you need someone for a 2nd pair of eyes to keep you on a straight path. Put some confidence in yourself man and I bet you do just fine.

Cut your losses and get someone who will care about your progress. If you are a coach, then you know by now that all your questions should be answered in a timely manner and you should get just as much time is any other client. Who's the coach:D

I would never call myself a coach but one of my friends went through the same thing as you, he dropped this fuckup who's an IFFB pro btw and came to me after dropping big money on this screw up for a pre contest coaching where the guy left him on baseline and he was 13 weeks out with 18 weeks of bodyfat.
He came to me, and Im no coach but with basics I got the guy leaned out pretty well so far and Im not charging him a dime, just gonna help him since he got fucked over.
Get this, when he informs this dummy hes quitting and getting my help the guy throws a tantrum saying 'oh I thought a pro card was in your future'

Personally for me I have always done my own dieting and had someone take me in the last 4-6 weeks.
Kevin DeHaven has been my prep guy for a long time now, and I wouldnt hesitiate to reccomend him to anyone else.

That's a shame. I do not know if you feel comfortable but it would be good to now what that pro is so that no more people waste their money on a guy who does not care about his clients' progress.

That's a shame. I do not know if you feel comfortable but it would be good to now what that pro is so that no more people waste their money on a guy who does not care about his clients' progress.

I dont know his name, all my buddy would tell me is hes from NY.
That doesnt narrow it down but he wouldnt tell me his name.

Honestly Im a big believer in learning how do to it yourself, like I said I get someone to help the final weeks because I lose objectivity but we dont make huge changes in my diet.
A lot of the so called prep coaches are just dingleberries with nice physiques who cash in on their good fortunes of having good genetics, most didnt start out as average or below average and work their way up learning the ropes, most didnt have to do much right, and looked good.
They take peoples money and dont do shit for them.

Last edited:
i hired a friend to do my prep, he is a pro and masters olympia winner, we agreed on everything we were going to do from the start as I am a masters also, He was prepping my wife as well, everything was going well for me but my wife wasn't coming along, he stopped answering my questions about her(wouldn't comment on her pictures) so I did her prep myself, she started improuving the closer we got to the contest and on the other hand I lost 27pounds in the last 3 weeks...when I told him I was losing weight to fast he told me I was going to be fine...I didn't do well needless to say but my wife won her class. I take part of the blame for not communicating as much with him as I knew most of what I needed to do, maybe that was part of the problem, maybe two heads in not better then one in this case. if you have the knowledge you should be able to do it on your own.

i believe in doing your own preps, take notes on how ur body reacts to certain things and you will figure it out, even a prep coach it takes a year or two to figure it out, save the money and learn your body.

I agree with above
The whole having a coach thing is just getting silly... You have guys now dropping 1-2k to get coached through some low level bs local show... Silly IMO but to each their own... I think lots of guys just like saying " I have a coach " so it makes them feel like more of a bb'er

I agree with above
The whole having a coach thing is just getting silly... You have guys now dropping 1-2k to get coached through some low level bs local show... Silly IMO but to each their own... I think lots of guys just like saying " I have a coach " so it makes them feel like more of a bb'er

How many shows have you prep yourself and won? I been in 12 shows, 2 that I won, I had very good coaches. The tops guys at the Olympia have coaches, should we call them silly?

How many shows have you prep yourself and won? I been in 12 shows, 2 that I won, I had very good coaches. The tops guys at the Olympia have coaches, should we call them silly?

Of course they're silly Pesty, I mean they're pros and don't know how to prep themselves?!?! :rolleyes:
A GOOD coach is worth their weight in gold, a bad one isn't worth their weight in poop

Ur comparing the worlds best in the Olympia with money and sponsorships on the line with the low level local show amateurs I was speaking of?
That's apples to oranges man.
Most of the guys I see in low level local shows don't even look like bb'ers...
I believe Phil Heath himself prepped himself until he turned pro...the coach thing just seems to be the thing to do now... Like ur not a bb'er unless u have a coach... I hear guys all the time name dropping this coach and that coach like it makes them get instant street cred as a bb'er and I think it's kinda silly honestly but to each their own.

Ur comparing the worlds best in the Olympia with money and sponsorships on the line with the low level local show amateurs I was speaking of?
That's apples to oranges man.
Most of the guys I see in low level local shows don't even look like bb'ers...
I believe Phil Heath himself prepped himself until he turned pro...the coach thing just seems to be the thing to do now... Like ur not a bb'er unless u have a coach... I hear guys all the time name dropping this coach and that coach like it makes them get instant street cred as a bb'er and I think it's kinda silly honestly but to each their own.

Again I will ask you, how many shows have you won prepping yourself? You don't think an amateur wants to win just as bad as a Pro? I don't know what gym you go too, but I have guys like Big L from this board that go to my gym. He competed in the USA. Yes, he had a coach too, I competed in the PA in 1987 and placed third. The guy that won, I beat in a previous show. The difference was I had a bad coach and he didn't prep me right. Prepping with a coach is nothing new. This has been going on for decades. Top guys have coaches, period!.

I know how to get lean without a coach. The difference is that last few weeks that will make or break you. Your eyes at that time will play tricks on you. I also train people for shows that won them. So, I know what I am doing. Being in BBing means you want to be in the best shape of your life. If that means having a coach to give you that edge, so be it. I bet a guy like Shelby would make you look better then you would ever do yourself. This is coming from someone that has 34 years experience in BBing.

I like Kevin--he doesn't get talked about as much as some of the other guys and I don't know anything about his coaching style, but I always thought he was a cool guy.

Again I will ask you, how many shows have you won prepping yourself? You don't think an amateur wants to win just as bad as a Pro? I don't know what gym you go too, but I have guys like Big L from this board that go to my gym. He competed in the USA. Yes, he had a coach too, I competed in the PA in 1987 and placed third. The guy that won, I beat in a previous show. The difference was I had a bad coach and he didn't prep me right. Prepping with a coach is nothing new. This has been going on for decades. Top guys have coaches, period!.

I know how to get lean without a coach. The difference is that last few weeks that will make or break you. Your eyes at that time will play tricks on you. I also train people for shows that won them. So, I know what I am doing. Being in BBing means you want to be in the best shape of your life. If that means having a coach to give you that edge, so be it. I bet a guy like Shelby would make you look better then you would ever do yourself. This is coming from someone that has 34 years experience in BBing.

Definitely agree! I would rather have someone more experienced and knowledgeable assisting me in achieving my goals. I talk to my coach daily, even in my off season. We discuss how my lifts are going, any specific tweaks, how I am feeling about our macros, any digestion issues, changing up cycles, etc. I am in constant communication about these things and we tackle the issues.

Same and agreed.

I coach a lot of people in person and online.
Really dislike coaching contest prep online....it works so much better if you see the person.

I've always had a coach, won my class and had top placings in very competitive line ups. I also coach recreational athletes and my first bb'er doing a show coming up. Sure I know what it takes to get lean but will I go to hard and flatten out or will I ease up and not get that extra 1% I need. You dont NEED a coach but if they are a good one you cant make me believe it doesnt help.

Not trying to argue bud and I agree with everything u said...I wouldn't call the USAs or a big state show a low level show... I'm talking about the guys that are dropping 2 k to win Mr. East Podunk county...if u gotta do that it pretty safe to say u don't have " it"...
As for my competition experience, i did one show (the golds gym classic in jersey) when I had just turned twenty after training maybe two years...I took second in the heavyweight class and got beat by a 35 year old gym owner that had been at it awhile... I didn't know shit... Had some reforvit b and clen and went at it hard
I'm 35 now and as of right now have zero interest in competing.. Too much going on with raising my boys

I like Kevin--he doesn't get talked about as much as some of the other guys and I don't know anything about his coaching style, but I always thought he was a cool guy.

He's very smart. Taught me more in a short time then everyone else combined. Not only that my physique was drastically improved with his help.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131