over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

prep guy suggestions???

manofsteel

Newbies
Next year, im looking to do an NPC National Qualifier in June to qualify, and then USA's in July. I am considering an "online" guru... for those with experience, I have 2 questions:

1. How did it work out over emails/phone calls?

2. Any suggestions? I have been debating between George Farah and Dave Palumbo.

Thanks...

Next year, im looking to do an NPC National Qualifier in June to qualify, and then USA's in July. I am considering an "online" guru... for those with experience, I have 2 questions:

1. How did it work out over emails/phone calls?

2. Any suggestions? I have been debating between George Farah and Dave Palumbo.

Thanks...

i dont think their is a compairison between those two

Their are some issues with people posting referances of their prep guys if they are not board sponsers , so mthis post will likely get locked or deleated , I suggest you do some research on this board here , and in the members phots forum , alot of good referance material their

What exactly are you looking for? Do you have enough confidence and faith in yourself to follow a plan with 100% accuracy and only need correspondence when you send pics or need to give updates? Do you need someone to be there to crack a whip and hold you accountable? I ask these questions because some people just need the blueprint and they are good to go. Others need very individualized attention and finding someone who is willing to do that online might be pretty hard.

There are good guys even on this site to hire and I would search around and ask some people who have been trained by the following....

Homonunculus
Shelby
Mountaindog
Phil Hernon
Skip

All these guys have great track records doing things online. In my opinion online prep guys and someone you see in person can have quite different styles in communication and the way they do things. The two people you mentioned are polar opposites as far as style of dieting and fees ect. Do some research (which you seem to be doing) and then make a choice. Email the prep guys too. They will be more than happy to give you a brief run down before you commit.

just go burn 200 bucks in the back yard and download the diet dave gives to everyone. its quicker than actually going through him.

there are some bad ass dudes on this board...as listed above
Homonunculus
Shelby
Mountaindog
Phil Hernon
Skip

I know 5 guys who worked with Palumbo, and none of them were happy with the end result. Extremely short with you on emails and their diets and cardios destroyed their physiques.

I know 5 guys who worked with Palumbo, and none of them were happy with the end result. Extremely short with you on emails and their diets and cardios destroyed their physiques.

Do you feel it was their diet, or his lack of attention to his clients? I've heard he doesn't care too much about his clients unless they are high level athletes.

From my experience, one word, SKIP!

Have you priced Farah's 'services'?

One look at his prices and one look at his plan and a smart person would shudder, IMHO.

Do you feel it was their diet, or his lack of attention to his clients? I've heard he doesn't care too much about his clients unless they are high level athletes.

Those two would go hand-in-hand, considering his lack of attention to his client meant a diet that wasn't tailored to their personal needs.

Check out skip at TEAM SKIP. I've used him myself twice and he's a great guy and awesome at what he does.

i do not know anyone who has worked with him, but I have emailed him several times with random questions or for advice, and he's been nothing but courteous even though i'm not a paying client. IMO he is "short" because he gets a lot of emails/is busy and doesnt have time to sugar coat..

could just be my view of him.

oh and his diet looks like absolute hell.

just go burn 200 bucks in the back yard and download the diet dave gives to everyone. its quicker than actually going through him.

there are some bad ass dudes on this board...as listed above
Homonunculus
Shelby
Mountaindog
Phil Hernon
Skip

Yeah...what he said

Well both. I have done the palumbo diet on my own, and my body went to shit. For SOME people it may work, but many guys end up losing muscle and end up VERY flat.

Also, when hiring a prep guy and a mind fuck it can be, I think anyone would want more than a cookie cutter cycle he gives from teen national competiors to a guy doing a regional show. Also, it might be nice to have someone talk with you more than "Up cardio 15 minutes". The guys I knew who worked with him were pretty good competitors(two were lover level national guys), but really they got the feeling he didnt give a shit. Although none of them were really on that "edge"(top 3-5 in a nat level show)to turn pro or a pro

i do not know anyone who has worked with him, but I have emailed him several times with random questions or for advice, and he's been nothing but courteous even though i'm not a paying client. IMO he is "short" because he gets a lot of emails/is busy and doesnt have time to sugar coat..

could just be my view of him.

oh and his diet looks like absolute hell.
Over 16 weeks of dieting, it would suck to have someone constantly be short with you. Someone like Phil Hernon is GREAT at responding and actually TALKING with you instead of one word answers.

Well both. I have done the palumbo diet on my own, and my body went to shit. For SOME people it may work, but many guys end up losing muscle and end up VERY flat.

Also, when hiring a prep guy and a mind fuck it can be, I think anyone would want more than a cookie cutter cycle he gives from teen national competiors to a guy doing a regional show. Also, it might be nice to have someone talk with you more than "Up cardio 15 minutes". The guys I knew who worked with him were pretty good competitors(two were lover level national guys), but really they got the feeling he didnt give a shit. Although none of them were really on that "edge"(top 3-5 in a nat level show)to turn pro or a pro

Over 16 weeks of dieting, it would suck to have someone constantly be short with you. Someone like Phil Hernon is GREAT at responding and actually TALKING with you instead of one word answers.

ya i mean like i said I haven't used him, or any other prep guy, just throwing in my .02 about dave. I'm probably going to hire phil.. $250 for a year is pretty legit

ya i mean like i said I haven't used him, or any other prep guy, just throwing in my .02 about dave. I'm probably going to hire phil.. $250 for a year is pretty legit

Phil is great and would recommend him to anyone.

Quick story about Palumbo, I competed at the same show as my one friend(who hired palumbo) and palumbo was there.. My buddy said something to Palumbo, tried to talk with him. He looked at him like he had no fucking idea who he was(after seeing him two hours before). Palumbo looked at him and walked away.

Chalk everything up as a learning experience. Bodybuilding along with building muscle, is about learning your body and what works for you. Dieting for a show is the same way. There are a bunch of ways to do it. By hiring a guy and seeing it through to the best of your ability you will be accomplishing much more than getting into shape. You will learn about your body in the process and be able to eliminate or continue to use whatever methods are being used to get into shape. That takes so much of the guess work out of your next prep if you so choose to compete again. Most people if they hire someone tend to be somewhat serious about making improvements and showing up in condition. Keto dieting worked for me when I was fatter and then as I stayed leaner I learned that approach didn't work as well and I needed some carbs. Not a huge amount but enough as I felt needed to fuel workouts and restore glycogen. My advice is to not just hire a prep guy for pre contest but rather work with someone for several months prior to your contest so they can learn your body better. Keep that in mind as you diet that most likely the person you hire is learning your body for the first time as you might be as well. Heck, there might even be a local guy in your area that you can see more frequently that is just as effective as some of the others. As mentioned earlier, there are several on this board that can dial you in (in my opinion) just as well as some of the "bigger" names guru wise.

Same boat as you.

Really a lot of these guys are more than qualified. It's just what you can afford, and what priorities are to you. Mine are:

1)Feedback- Can I contact them and expect a reply real soon? That's huge for me.
2) Money- Cause everything comes back down to money.

I'm 19. And I think the best investment for me to is to hire one of these guys than keep on trying the guesswork way and ending up the same way year after year.

All I can say is talk to them, get a feel for them, make your decision. And have faith in them. You'll learn for the 6 months, or 9 months, or 12 months that you are with them the in's and out's of your body. How to manipulate your diet, your training, and your cardio. It's really a small fee for it when you consider how important it is in your life.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner