over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Proper HIIT method

kscowboy

Kilo Klub Member / Board Supporter
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Board Supporter
So i have read 2 different ways to do HIIT and am a bit confused as to the most effective way or proper way.

1-The first way says to so your slow moment followed by your all out blast movement. Maybe 15 sec blast followed by a 2 min slow (For the sake of argument)

2-The second way says to do your slow movement but then you need to increase the load and then do your blast movement.

SO which one is most effective or the correct way to do this?

So i have read 2 different ways to do HIIT and am a bit confused as to the most effective way or proper way.

1-The first way says to so your slow moment followed by your all out blast movement. Maybe 15 sec blast followed by a 2 min slow (For the sake of argument)

2-The second way says to do your slow movement but then you need to increase the load and then do your blast movement.

Depends what piece of machine you're using.

Say, on a bike, do your slow with low resistance, then all out everything you got 15-20 seconds with high resistance, then 1-2 minutes slow with low resistance. Repeat.

On a treadmill, slow with low incline, then increase incline (resistance) all out (if running or doing fast walk), then 1-2 minutes slow with low incline (resistance).

i really don't think it matters so long as your heart rate get way up.
i prefer to do a combination of both , i wear my plate carrier with solid steel bars in the mag pouches and run stadiums , sprint up the bleachers , walk across and down then sprint back up them. The bleachers at the high school by me are pretty high so depending where you do them , I'll also do sprits on the track , spriting the strait away then walking the curves again with a loaded kit thats about 50 pounds

time can be adjusted to the individual. as you become more accustomed to this style of training and in better physical shape your time and duration for each will change.
let say you start off jog 15 sec then sprint for 15 sec. and repeat for 20 minutes.
the key is momentum change and that burst .
the energy and muscles used to stop your momentum from a sprint into a jog is huge. then in 15 seconds a sudden burst into a sprint. the energy and muscles used to take you back into a full all out sprint (again is huge).
shorts durations are best. it keep your body constantly up and down.
as you start to feel comfortable with this adjust your time.
15 sec jog / 20 sec sprint.
and adjust again. so you get that same effect every time.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

what gunsmith said. doesnt matter, whatever works best to get that 90% max heart rate.
i like the bill phillips 20 minutes with 5 minute interval thing. im 47 and can still hit 180-186 on a bike.
the way i do it is keep the cadence the same, 100 or so, then increase the tension each minute.
if yr on a treadmill, keep yr speed the same but increase the incline.

I did an internet search on hiit methods, cant remember where I found it but its a method for the stationary bike. warm up for a couple minutes with light slow peddling. Then put the bike at the resistance you would do slow cardio, say level 7, peddle regular cardio speed, say 55 rpm for 30 seconds, then peddle max rpms, say 90 for 3o seconds, back to 55 rpms for 30 then turn the resistance up as high as you can or all the way to 15 and peddle as hard and fast as you can for 30 seconds. That's one circuit, two minutes. I like to do ten of these. Its a bitch, gets me pouring sweat and breathing heavy. Also burns twice the calories as twenty minutes of regular stationary bike.

The best way is the way that gets your heart rate the highest. For me and probably most people, 30 seconds all out followed by a minute slow is best. I do 8 "sprints" on the treadmill or the stepmaster. Sometimes I even do 4 and 4 in the same workout and switch machines half way for variety. My HR according to the hand sensors gets as high as 172bpm. This droped during the minute rest, then raises back to that, then repeat. I don't even log 20 minutes on the cardio machine doing that unless I spend a lot of time warming up on it.

what gunsmith said. doesnt matter, whatever works best to get that 90% max heart rate.
i like the bill phillips 20 minutes with 5 minute interval thing. im 47 and can still hit 180-186 on a bike.
the way i do it is keep the cadence the same, 100 or so, then increase the tension each minute.
if yr on a treadmill, keep yr speed the same but increase the incline.
haha. I love it! I thought I was the only one who does the cadence with breathing and steps. I totally forgot about mentioning this.
this definitely helps. proper breathing .

The best way is the way that gets your heart rate the highest. For me and probably most people, 30 seconds all out followed by a minute slow is best. I do 8 "sprints" on the treadmill or the stepmaster. Sometimes I even do 4 and 4 in the same workout and switch machines half way for variety. My HR according to the hand sensors gets as high as 172bpm. This droped during the minute rest, then raises back to that, then repeat. I don't even log 20 minutes on the cardio machine doing that unless I spend a lot of time warming up on it.
this is a good time . usually time is double. excellent point. 15/30 or 30/minutes. but for beginners I always
"err on the side of caution"
once they become acclimated with what they are doing , then pick up the pace. no reason to risk injury or accident.

this is a good time . usually time is double. excellent point. 15/30 or 30/minutes. but for beginners I always
"err on the side of caution"
once they become acclimated with what they are doing , then pick up the pace. no reason to risk injury or accident.

Yea I agree that if someone isn't used to this, they should work up to it. It's hard to find the exact resistance that you can do for 30 seconds that you'll able to repeat in a minute for 8-10 rounds. Otherwise you gas yourself out too fast and give up too soon. If you do fall into this trap however, you can always adjust the resistance and rest times.

IMO....both. You need to 'shock' your muscles into growth and the best way to do that is by changing your routine. Alternate methods just make sure your using good form through your blast movements too lessen the chance of injury. Good luck.

I have always done 45 sec normal pace then 15 sec Balls to the walls sprints. Usually using the bike for safety reasons. Sometimes even 90/30.

I have always done 45 sec normal pace then 15 sec Balls to the walls sprints. Usually using the bike for safety reasons. Sometimes even 90/30.

I did a lot of HIIT for my prep and was instructed to do 45mod/15hard by my coach (well known guy who posts here). I did the spin bike or elliptical for safety reasons like you said. Also I felt like I could push my absolute hardest on those two machines vs. a treadmill like I had to use a few times for it.

When on the bike, I like to use a modified wingate test approach.

When the time comes for an all out interval, I start pedaling as fast as I can and then once I reach peak speed I immediate jack up the resistance and start my interval. On the moderate pace I lower speed and resistance.

Gives me a better leg pump that leg training.

I did a lot of HIIT for my prep and was instructed to do 45mod/15hard by my coach (well known guy who posts here). I did the spin bike or elliptical for safety reasons like you said. Also I felt like I could push my absolute hardest on those two machines vs. a treadmill like I had to use a few times for it.

We have the same coach :)

But before I hired him that's how I did them

That's how I do them too

^^ Good ole MPA style. Worked for me.

^^ Good ole MPA style. Worked for me.

MPA def has guy's do it that way but so do other coaches. Another coach who posts here sporadically.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear