Properties of Baking Soda

Viking55

Registered
Aloha PM,

Great information!

A hui ho,
V

By Dr. Mercola

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate or NaHCO3), popularized by Arm & Hammer more than 150 years ago, is a staple in many homes for baking and cleaning purposes, but this inexpensive ingredient also has a number of medicinal uses and benefits. It rates right up there with hydrogen peroxide as one of the most inexpensive and safe health tools around, so it makes sense to learn all you can about the many uses of baking soda.

It's commonly known to have alkalinizing, antacid and electrolyte replacement properties.1 When taken internally, baking soda is thought to raise the pH of your blood. This appears to be the basic premise behind its recommended use against colds and influenza symptoms, recounted in a 1924 Arm & Hammer booklet on the medical uses of baking soda.2,3
Taking one-half to 1 teaspoon or so of baking soda dissolved in a glass of water is also an inexpensive way to ease heartburn. Long-distance runners have also engaged in a practice known as "soda doping" — taking baking soda capsules — before races to enhance performance — a measure thought to work similarly to carbohydrate loading.

In this case, by increasing the pH of your blood, this practice is thought to offset the acidity produced in muscles during intense activity. While I do not suggest or recommend you try this at home, use of baking soda has also been shown to improve speed among swimmers.4

Research5 has also shown drinking baking soda solution can help pregnant women who are having a slow or difficult labor to avoid C-sections in about 20 percent of cases by neutralizing acid in their womb. This could spell the difference between life and death in developing countries and/or instances where C-section is not an option.

Baking Soda May Be an Inexpensive Treatment for Autoimmune Diseases
Most recently, research funded by the National Institutes of Health suggests baking soda may be an effective treatment adjunct for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and other autoimmune diseases. According to this study,6,7 led by renal physiologist Paul O'Connor and published in The Journal of Immunology, drinking a solution of water and baking soda appears to prime your immune system against inflammation.

Although this study suggests some benefits from baking soda for rheumatoid arthritis, there are far more fundamental approaches that should be tried before this as detailed in "Inspiring Account of How to Put Rheumatoid Arthritis into Remission." Additionally, one could avoid lectins for autoimmune diseases like RA.

The theory was initially tested on rats, and later in human subjects. According to O'Connor, baking soda may indeed be "a really safe way to treat inflammatory disease,"8 including arthritis. As reported by Medical News Today:9
"Their experiments tell a complex story about how this salt provides a signal to a special kind of cell called 'mesothelial cells,' telling them that the body is fine and not under attack, rendering an aggressive immune system unnecessary. Thus, harmful autoimmune responses are averted. Mesothelial cells line the internal organs as well as many different cavities in the body …
Basically, in O'Connor words, mesothelial cells learn that 't's most likely a hamburger not a bacterial infection.' So they, in turn, do not activate the spleen's 'army' of macrophages, or white blood cells tasked with clearing up potentially harmful cellular detritus. 'Certainly, drinking bicarbonate affects the spleen and we think it's through the mesothelial cells,' O'Connor explains."

Baking Soda Alters Immune Cell Activation, Triggering Anti-Inflammatory Response
Mesothelial cells are found in your blood and kidneys, and baking soda is already used in the treatment of chronic kidney disease. It was this that led the researchers to explore the mechanisms by which baking soda benefits renal function, slowing the progression of kidney disease. It was during this investigation they noticed that baking soda shifted the balance of immune cells in the kidneys, boosting anti-inflammatory immune cells while simultaneously decreasing inflammatory cells.

Further tests revealed baking soda has the same anti-inflammatory effect on blood and spleen as well. But how does it do this? Mesothelial cells, which line your internal organs, communicate with the organ in question via microvilli that emit a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine, and this appears to be an important part of the equation.

A previous hypothesis suggested the anti-inflammatory signals were being transmitted through the vagus nerve, which connects your gut, brain and other organs. Experiments revealed this idea did not hold true. Even when the vagus nerve was completely severed, it did not suppress the anti-inflammatory signaling of the mesothelial cells.

Eventually, they realized the inflammatory response is being mediated via acetylcholine signals through the microvilli connecting the mesothelial cells and the organ they line. The anti-inflammatory response triggered by drinking baking soda-infused water was found to continue for a minimum of four hours. As explained by the authors:
"Following oral NaHCO3 loading, macrophage polarization was shifted from predominantly M1 (inflammatory) to M2 (regulatory) phenotypes, and FOXP3+CD4+ T-lymphocytes increased in the spleen, blood, and kidneys of rats. Similar anti-inflammatory changes in macrophage polarization were observed in the blood of human subjects …

Our data indicate that oral NaHCO3 activates a splenic anti-inflammatory pathway and provides evidence that the signals that mediate this response are transmitted to the spleen via a novel neuronal-like function of mesothelial cells."

Sources and References

1 National Center for Biotechnology Information. PubChem Compound Database; CID=516892
2 Arm & Hammer Booklet on Therapeutic Uses of Baking Soda (1924)
3 Baking Soda Uses in Daily Health (PDF)
4 Int J Sports Med. 2008 Jun;29(6):519-23
5 Eurasia Review January 28, 2018
6 Journal of Immunology April 16, 2018, ji1701605
7 Eurekalert April 25, 2018
8, 9 Medical News Today April 26, 2018
10 Montreal Gazette June 3, 2016

I use baking soda everyday especially on tren. I make 30g tn iso/baking soda into a brownie in the microwave.

Definitely helps with heartburn. My whole body is inflamed so hard to tell there :p

Baking soda is great stuff. Good for immune system, digestive health, and improves endurance before workouts.

Not to mention, baking soda is one of the main ingredients in SUMMER EVE, a vagina spray for PH imbalance and freshness

I don’t spray it personally; my girl does ...[emoji23]

I also use it for face cleanser in one of my face wash “Biore” .. good stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I use baking soda everyday especially on tren. I make 30g tn iso/baking soda into a brownie in the microwave.

Definitely helps with heartburn. My whole body is inflamed so hard to tell there :p

Pics of said brownie?..

tren, you have me curious... can you detail how you make this brownie? sounds awesome..

Baking soda is great stuff. Good for immune system, digestive health, and improves endurance before workouts.

Yes, you cant take it with 100mg creatin mono before training and save money.

I just sprinkle some in water upon waking and before bed

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEvA55cX8Co"]30 Second Protein Brownie - YouTube[/ame]

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131