advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Proposed weekly chest regimen. Thoughts?

nfernoo

Banned
My trainer proposed a new routine of working the chest out 3 times a week in "sections" he said.

Upper (Monday)
Incline BB press
Incline DB press
Incline one arm hammer press (sitting slightly sideways)
Inclined DB or cable fly
Super incline hammer press

Middle (Wednesday)
Bb press
Db press
Pec Dec
Flat fly
Machine press

Lower (Friday)
Decline db press
Decline bb press
Decline fly
Dips
Cable cross.

i could see maybe 2-3 work sets total and try 3x a week( i personally wouldn't but try whatever)...but all those exercises (and I'm assuming a few sets for each?), would bury me fast into overtraining without a doubt... i don't like it at all...

i don't like how he even called it "middle chest" day :confused: he should just have called it... chest day :lightbulb:

Last edited:
Who's your trainer if you don't mind me asking?

What was your previous workout before? Assuming you were having trouble with your chest

Nothing wrong with it, but seems like just another spin on training..
As we all know changing things up a little to shock the muscle is a good thing and prevents stagnation. Also helps to break the boring routine.

May be considered overtraining to some, but not to us old schoolers!
I've had some of the best growth doing 20+ sets of chest every day for a week alternating one heavy day with one moderate high rep day back and forth.
Best overall results for me both in terms of strength and density come from training muscle groups twice a week, with one day heavy 6-10 reps and one day moderate 12-15 reps... Always to failure on working sets.

Let us know how goes..

My chest is my biggest weak point. I've always however been a very strong presser. I've made tremendous gains (in respect to my previous years) in the last 6-8 months solely by lowering the weight and focusing on squeezing my chest. Increasing that mind muscle connection has made a world of a difference both visually and being able to contract during pressing movements. If only I could get that same connection with my lats!

It looks decent but form will be the key. As will volume etc for each chest training day. The bench position can make a big difference but many people still use the same plane of movement regardless if they are flat or incline benching. The key is to really work on form and actually try to hit all muscle fibers through the week.

I like to train chest 2-3 days per week but I mix up movements each day. But I could see that system really working for you if you put effort in exact form and forget about weight. My chest is weak but it has improved alot recently but doing what I am doing. Generally I think decline bench and chest dips are the best movements for chest but everyone is different. I basically try and do all the press and fly movements at different angles and reps and well every workout is different.

That's a hell of a lot of working sets in a week for a body part. I don't know about you but something like decline or flat bench works most of my chest, so I would not see the need to do all 3 parts of my chest once a week.

Did this trainer ever hear about recovery or rest for a muscle to grow? Like pitbull said maybe if you were doing very few sets in each workout I could see doing that, but even then you would be getting almost no rest on that body part.

This trainer has some monsters under his belt.

He mentioned over training but he said I'll be fine with what he had never taking. Gh (9th sera day), slin, test, deca,

Im not saying I believe him but...

Also. I hate decline barbbell. Can I sub that for the hammer press version. Bb decline I can't feel right doing somfor whatever reason

Last edited:
You can sub it for anything similar really, don't get stuck in any one way entirely. If you know you get more from one exercise more than another go with that.
I'd agree and even go so far to say its nearly impossible to overtrain on gh and gear.

If you want to make chest grow in particular, make sure you touch chest when lowering, and try to go below parallel with dumbbells... Chest growth and strength comes from the stretch.
Without full stretch, you'll never developed your full potential.

I always liked the hammer strength decline machine. I guess if you are taking all that you will recover, but i still think its over training. No matter what you are taking you are going to be very sore the first few weeks. I guess give it a try if you want, I wouldnt do it, but im not against people trying things.

I'm Used to doing more incline work 2x a week.

Upper is where I need most work. So I'm a Lil hesitant doing once a week.

I agree with arko have you ever tried pre-exhausting? That really has helped me and while I'm nothing special I have seen growth in the past year I train chest twice a week and I always have a day where I start with flys then move to a pressing movement its helped me tremendously! I think its an awesome/interesting workout let me know how it goes brother!

I always liked the hammer strength decline machine. I guess if you are taking all that you will recover, but i still think its over training. No matter what you are taking you are going to be very sore the first few weeks. I guess give it a try if you want, I wouldnt do it, but im not against people trying things.

i doubt he'd be sore after the first week only because he wont be recovered enuff to elicit a proper training response, he'll be too wiped out to push the muscle to that point. maybe.
sometimes less is more.

No flame intented...That's totally over training bro and I mean TOTALLY!...Bodybuilders...just think like all other think..."well if a little is good...WAY more must be better."...Its the opposite concept....waaaaaay heavy is better...6-8 reps for 3 sets... MAX...3 sets and 3 ex xrcises total.Im guessing ur goal Is size...correct. Most importantly...lets look at the diet u currently have...so please...post an honest diet you have had for the last 2 weks. train ur chest 2x a week at the most...unless ur pinning all sorts of goods. 3 main exercises...THATAS IT...Total failure is key aling with good form of course...!Focus on basic compound movements with a friend who can help u... you MUST fail the muscle. Key to growth is TOTALl FAILURE...which can only be gone with a training partner.

No flame intented...That's totally over training bro and I mean TOTALLY!...Bodybuilders...just think like all other think..."well if a little is good...WAY more must be better."...Its the opposite concept....waaaaaay heavy is better...6-8 reps for 3 sets... MAX...3 sets and 3 ex xrcises total.Im guessing ur goal Is size...correct. Most importantly...lets look at the diet u currently have...so please...post an honest diet you have had for the last 2 weks. train ur chest 2x a week at the most...unless ur pinning all sorts of goods. 3 main exercises...THATAS IT...Total failure is key aling with good form of course...!Focus on basic compound movements with a friend who can help u... you MUST fail the muscle. Key to growth is TOTALl FAILURE...which can only be gone with a training partner.

I used to agree with this, and it does have its place for sure as I used to run a similar routine at times but by itself will only take you so far..
Spend 8 weeks alternating between a heavy day followed by lighter day and train each lagging body part twice a week and things will take off like never before. Failure on all working sets, and on lighter days use strict form until you can't anymore then go to true failure cheating form a little.

This routine will provide great results, and give your joints etc some time to heal and recover.

If you're not atleast a little sore 1-2 days after you haven't worked hard enough.

I'm sore after every lift within hours or sometimes hour of lifting.
I never get used tom things.

Whats the rest of the program look like for all other bodyparts? U goona train 7 days per week?

Personally i hit plateaus real quick when i train more than 6 days a week, or a group more than 2x a week. But then again im yet to try gh ;)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members