over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Protein Degradation

rocketman414

Registered
I have read numerous times that premixing protein shakes and putting them in the fridge causes the protein to begin breaking down and it reduces the effectiveness...

So how (or does it?) do those MuscleMilk containers or Isopure drinks keep the protein from breaking down?

Either the answer is obvious and I've missed something.. or it just doesn't make sense.

nope not true. as long as you keep the protein drink in the fridge its good...dont know for how long, but its definately good for at least a day or two. Now, if you do what I do and mix your creatine in with your protein shake its probably not a good idea to leave that mixed up for more than probably half a day, since creatine does degrade after a while once mixed up. Think about this... if premixed protein shakes were junk wouldn't that mean that all the RTD drinks are junk (isopure, muscle milk, syntha 6, etc.)? I'm assuming the companies making this stuff would know this if it were the case.

nope not true. as long as you keep the protein drink in the fridge its good...dont know for how long, but its definately good for at least a day or two. Now, if you do what I do and mix your creatine in with your protein shake its probably not a good idea to leave that mixed up for more than probably half a day, since creatine does degrade after a while once mixed up. Think about this... if premixed protein shakes were junk wouldn't that mean that all the RTD drinks are junk (isopure, muscle milk, syntha 6, etc.)? I'm assuming the companies making this stuff would know this if it were the case.

Ya man that's what I'm saying.. all the sites I read on (using google and search function) said that once you mix the protein it goes bad.. i was scratching my head on that one..

Ya man that's what I'm saying.. all the sites I read on (using google and search function) said that once you mix the protein it goes bad.. i was scratching my head on that one..

i wouldnt worry too much about it. if you mix it up and put it in the fridge say until later in the day it should be just fine. Personally I never have to do this. I just take my shaker(filled with protein and creatine) to the gym and fill it up after my workout and drink it. My other shake is also taken right after mixing it (before bed).

heat would denature it. So when using coffe into protien shakes make sure its luke warm at max.

SB

heat would denature it. So when using coffe into protien shakes make sure its luke warm at max.

SB

who in their right mind would put coffee into their protein shakes? please tell me you dont do this :eek:.....why?

who in their right mind would put coffee into their protein shakes? please tell me you dont do this :eek:.....why?

Added taste , caffine , Why would you not put coffee in a protein shake?
I know several people who add a cup of coffee concentrate to the belnder in the am to make their shake , they happen to like the taste

I wouldnt risk it. Why do you need to premix it anyway and leave it in the fridge? Why dont you put what you need in a shaker and when you need it add liquid? This is more efficient and you wont have any doubts.

By the way, just because all the supplement companies sell liquid protein it doesnt mean its good. I personally wouldnt touch the liquid stuff...but thats me.

I wouldnt risk it. Why do you need to premix it anyway and leave it in the fridge? Why dont you put what you need in a shaker and when you need it add liquid? This is more efficient and you wont have any doubts.

By the way, just because all the supplement companies sell liquid protein it doesnt mean its good. I personally wouldnt touch the liquid stuff...but thats me.

dont get me wrong, i don't either, my main reason is because it's a huge waste of money. i was just trying to figure it out.

the only reason i would pre make it is if i needed to take it with me and didn't have skim milk out with me where i went..

dont get me wrong, i don't either, my main reason is because it's a huge waste of money. i was just trying to figure it out.

the only reason i would pre make it is if i needed to take it with me and didn't have skim milk out with me where i went..

If missing the skim milk is the problem then just add a little sugar to the dry mix and use water , thats all your getting for the skim milk anyway , maybe a little extra protein.

If your using a fast release protein like isolate, mixing it with milk only slows down the absorption rate. So if your having it pre or post, use water.

I know several people who add a cup of coffee concentrate to the belnder in the am to make their shake , they happen to like the taste

to each their own I guess...sorry, I guess I just found that kinda weird. Personally I cant stand the taste of coffee...its kinda like drinking beer...it just doesnt taste good but at least beer gets you drunk :).

If your using a fast release protein like isolate, mixing it with milk only slows down the absorption rate. So if your having it pre or post, use water.

personally i kind of disregard all the fast acting, slow acting protein b.s. nowadays. I have actually had better results with simply eating a solid food meal after workouts or adding skim milk to protein shakes after workouts.

to each their own I guess...sorry, I guess I just found that kinda weird. Personally I cant stand the taste of coffee...its kinda like drinking beer...it just doesnt taste good but at least beer gets you drunk :).

beer does not taste good?:confused:

I drink iced coffee before my workout and include Vanilla Protein RTD's as my creamer.

So you are saying Phi's LBA's (Liquid Beef Amino's) are no good???? :eek:

Where in the heck do you people get the info that says protein powder degrades in water or any liquid? geesh!

Other way around....put a scoop or 2 in 30-40 oz of coffee (weak mix) for great chocolate, vanilla, cookies & cream, etc flavor. Broaden your horizons and TRY IT!!!!!!

You can make frappuccino like drinks with vanilla or chocolate protein and coffee. Anyways, when you're a hardcore coffee drinker, like myself, you love the taste of coffee. I think its an age thing, and I'm guessing you're on the younger side.

Good ole boys put liquor in theirs! :D

PO

You can make frappuccino like drinks with vanilla or chocolate protein and coffee. Anyways, when you're a hardcore coffee drinker, like myself, you love the taste of coffee. I think its an age thing, and I'm guessing you're on the younger side.

haha ya i think its an age thing. sorry i just cant stand the taste of coffee or even most of that other frappuccino stuff.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws