over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Protein Digestion

yardrock

Registered
What would the results be if a body builders total protein intake came in the form of drinks, like Pure Protein or Protein Ice. These drink contain 40 grams of protein. So lets say you drank 8 of the a day. Would you grow? Would you lean out?

I don't know why you wouldn't.

There are MANY trainers that have told me for pre-contest, you want to get majority of your protein source from "real" food.

xcel

Not saying I would. But I work for Srength Systems USA. We make Protein Ice drinks and Triple Delicious bars. I have free access to them all day long. So I was thinking about eating 3 meals Breakfast, lunch and diner. In between downing a drink every 1-2 hours. 3 meals per day and 5 drinks would give me 320 grams of protein. My total caloric intake would be low because the drinks are only 160 cals. Would I be able to add lean muscle this way?

Id say

youd be able to shit through a screen door
and never touch a wire.

I love my redmeat, mmmm

yardrock said:
What would the results be if a body builders total protein intake came in the form of drinks, like Pure Protein or Protein Ice. These drink contain 40 grams of protein. So lets say you drank 8 of the a day. Would you grow? Would you lean out?

This would all be dependant on what your goals are. Obviously supplementing with protein is an excellent way of getting a higher amount of protein in your diet, but I don't know about getting your total protein in from supplements.

raJJIN
I love my red meat also. Had a beautiful 1.5 lb Delmonico for Valintines day. Ummy! I know this would play havic on my digestive system. My problem is right now I dont have the time for meal prep. New job, dad in hospital and moving on Thursday and working out has left me short of time and tired. I would not do this for long mybe 4 weeks.

Yardrock,
Actually I wrote that before I got a chance to see your post that said 3 meals also.

3 solid meals and that much protein, I dont see anything wrong with it. Thats a lot of protein, you should grow.
Calories though and carbs will also play a roll in which way the
scales are going to tip correct?

yardrock said:
raJJIN
I love my red meat also. Had a beautiful 1.5 lb Delmonico for Valintines day. Ummy! I know this would play havic on my digestive system. My problem is right now I dont have the time for meal prep. New job, dad in hospital and moving on Thursday and working out has left me short of time and tired. I would not do this for long mybe 4 weeks.

Bro, if this is the only way you can get your protein then I say do it. It's definately a whole lot better than no protein or not enough protein. Just get as much protein from whole food as possible and use protein supplements as just that, "supplements"

Protein powders are a good choice for people who are not going to eat. I mean if there is no way you are going to eat alot of protein then sure go ahead and drink the shit out of it but for anybody else protein powders should be a second source of protein. I have gone and tried this myself and found that solid food fills me out and helps me add real weight as protein powders do not.

Well, if you were making a choice between eating nothing at all, or drinking shakes, then heck yeah, drink the shakes...I don't know if I would rely solely on them...in reaching my heaviest size, I ate 4 meals and drank 3 shakes, and something fairly easy to do I eventually added, was to have something like a tuna or roast beef sandwich with the shake.

Re: Id say

rAJJIN said:
youd be able to shit through a screen door
and never touch a wire.

I love my redmeat, mmmm

He's absolutely right. You could do it but it would be hell on you. If you are going to drink protein drinks continuosly especially if they are mostly whey protein, I suggest that you slow down the absorbtion and digestion by taking fat or carbs with it. Throw down a couple handfuls of almonds or some peanut butter with it or add some raw oatmeal and almonds and throw it in a blender. Do whatever it takes to slow it down or you will be shitting like a goose. Digestive enzymes would be a great idea too.

raw oats and slivered almonds

I have 3 shakes during the day. I add raw oats and slivered almonds to the powder. Keeps the bowels working well and slows the digestion. good suggestion
Knucklehed

Re: raw oats and slivered almonds

knucklehed said:
I have 3 shakes during the day. I add raw oats and slivered almonds to the powder. Keeps the bowels working well and slows the digestion. good suggestion
Knucklehed

can you actually add raw oats to the shake? ive been adding cooked oats. i thought they have to be cooked?

Raw oats are great

yes.

I don't even want to think what cooked oats looks or tastes like in a protein shake.

No reason not to grow with protein shake protein as opposed to 'real food' protein.

xcelbeyond said:
There are MANY trainers that have told me for pre-contest, you want to get majority of your protein source from "real" food.

xcel

That's because the supplement industry is an unregullated industry and as such most protein powders don't meet label claims.
Most powders, despite not showing it on the label, contain a lot of fillers wich will play havoc with your comp diet. That is why they recomend real food.
That being said, a good quality protein powder, that meets label claims is at least as good as real food protein.

Easiest way to see whether a protein powder contains fillers or not is whether it gives you gas and a bloated stomach. If it does, those are the fillers.

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear