over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Protein in a Plant-Based Diet: A Vegan Bodybuilder's Perspective

E,

An easy adjustment with zero sacfifice.

Dump the cottage cheese and greek yogurt (animal).
Make pea-isolate pudding using Almond Milk to dilute. Wisk to consistency, add your fruit or agave necture.

Much healthier, will cost probably less, and has zero fat!

MT

Mack, i have reduced my meat consumption quite a bit over this past year, simply from necessity as I am back in grad school. I only have 2 meat based meals a day of lean chicken breast with steamed vegetables and sweet potato, and my other meals consist of 1 cup cottage cheese or greek yogurt, 3 whole eggs, and 1 cup berry blend. I would say I eat 50/50 vegetarian and meat meals now. Perhaps adding vegan meals as you recommended would be the next step in my dietary evolution!

I find this really interesting, as I'm not really a bodybuilder per say. I've never used hormones before and train mainly for sports performance and just overall health. My family has had a history of diabetes, high blood pressure, and even cancer, so health is very important to me! I've used low carb based diets for most of my training life, as it's been the most effective way for me to maintain a lean physique. However, I think given my performance based goals, a higher carb diet would give me much more energy. I just bought some ezekiel genesis bread this morning and will start adding two slices a day to my breakfast and see how that goes.

Thanks again!

Hey Mack... I have followed your log and have read many of your thoughts on nutrition...

I have a few questions

Do you count Protein from Oats, yams, broccoli etc when you are finding you daily total?

I was sure that Plant based proteins are incomplete and are missing the full spectrum of amino acids

Also wouldnt there be more fat in Almond milk since its made from almonds I believe theres 4.5 grams of fat per cup

itrain,

Hey Bro.

I approximate the proteins in the oats, yams, spinach and veggies. I usually
give it a value of 25-30 grams/day. The only source I actually count is the Pea-Isolate. I eat 200 grams worth a day, spread out over 5-7 meals, just depends.

Almond Milk has 2.5 grams fat per 8oz
Rice Milk has 1.5 grams fat per 8oz.
Not much difference in cals and carbs, also.

The whole egg is the only food considered to be a complete protein.
Chicken, fish, beef, bison, venison, etc, are all incomplete proteins.
Same with veggies. When you eat a multitude of either, you get complete proteins. It's the sum total that matters.

Manufactured powders are made complete by using many sources, just like pea-isolate which when combined with other vegetable proteins becomes complete.

I hope that helps.

Mack

Hey Mack... I have followed your log and have read many of your thoughts on nutrition...

I have a few questions

Do you count Protein from Oats, yams, broccoli etc when you are finding you daily total?

I was sure that Plant based proteins are incomplete and are missing the full spectrum of amino acids

Also wouldnt there be more fat in Almond milk since its made from almonds I believe theres 4.5 grams of fat per cup

Thanks

Thanks everyone.

If it's OK with Pharm, and I think it is, let's continue this over on the THINK TANK thread and get some more opinions.

Peace,

Mack

Hi everyone, Thanks for the perfect diet you have mentioned above. It will be really helpful to many. I have a question about diet, that there should be different diet and different supplements for everybody according to their body or muscles, is it true or ....waiting for your answer.

Thanks

I know a lot of people that are vegetarian, but eat what I consider to be very unhealthy diets still. They think that because they don't eat meat that they are somehow healthier, even though their diet consists of processed carbs and other inflammation inducing foods that are worse for the cardiovascular system than meats.
To me, a true vegetarian diet consists mainly of plant based foods, the greener the better. I am not a vegetarian, but I don't eat much meat (maybe 2-3 servings per week). I try to get as many green vegetables as I can because I feel noticeably better when I include large amounts in my diet.
Most of my protein comes from free range eggs (I have my own chickens at home), and I absolutely love them. I could never give up my eggs even though I think a 100% plant based diet is the healthiest diet one can follow. I did give it a try for just a couple of weeks, eating only foods from Jonny Bowdens '150 Healthiest Foods on Earth'. I never felt better, every little thing seemed to improve; sleep, mood, energy levels, it was amazing. I try to stick to those foods as much as I can, with the addition of proteins that I like, such as free range eggs and fish. I really love fish, and I feel it is a very healthy addition to any diet.
I have let slipped on my diet pretty bad over the last 6 months, lots of crazy things going on my life and I was put on a medication that causes sugar cravings, so I have been eating a lot of sugary junk that I never would have eaten before.
I am going to go back to my mostly plant based diet, with eggs and fish as protein sources. I am intrigued by Mack's posts and want to try to reduce my egg intake even further and maybe replace some of it with pea protein and see how I feel and see what changes might occur on my blood work. If I can feel the way I did when I was on the diet from '150 healthiest foods' and still gain muscle mass, I would be ecstatic.

Responded over on the THINK TANK

MT

I know a lot of people that are vegetarian, but eat what I consider to be very unhealthy diets still. They think that because they don't eat meat that they are somehow healthier, even though their diet consists of processed carbs and other inflammation inducing foods that are worse for the cardiovascular system than meats.
To me, a true vegetarian diet consists mainly of plant based foods, the greener the better. I am not a vegetarian, but I don't eat much meat (maybe 2-3 servings per week). I try to get as many green vegetables as I can because I feel noticeably better when I include large amounts in my diet.
Most of my protein comes from free range eggs (I have my own chickens at home), and I absolutely love them. I could never give up my eggs even though I think a 100% plant based diet is the healthiest diet one can follow. I did give it a try for just a couple of weeks, eating only foods from Jonny Bowdens '150 Healthiest Foods on Earth'. I never felt better, every little thing seemed to improve; sleep, mood, energy levels, it was amazing. I try to stick to those foods as much as I can, with the addition of proteins that I like, such as free range eggs and fish. I really love fish, and I feel it is a very healthy addition to any diet.
I have let slipped on my diet pretty bad over the last 6 months, lots of crazy things going on my life and I was put on a medication that causes sugar cravings, so I have been eating a lot of sugary junk that I never would have eaten before.
I am going to go back to my mostly plant based diet, with eggs and fish as protein sources. I am intrigued by Mack's posts and want to try to reduce my egg intake even further and maybe replace some of it with pea protein and see how I feel and see what changes might occur on my blood work. If I can feel the way I did when I was on the diet from '150 healthiest foods' and still gain muscle mass, I would be ecstatic.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131