over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

protein intake 1g 1.5g 2g

bbg420

Registered
do you guys notice any better results between 1 gram ,1.5gram and 2gram per pound bodyweight, im an ectomorph and don't want to waste protein if im just shitting it out, where do you guys get the best results from, thoughts

Last edited:
1.5 seems to be roughly the sweet spot for me...going up to 2 I started to dread eating and felt like ass.

Something around 1.2 works fine.

Experiment a little bit and find your sweet spot. If you gain or lose weight, adjust accordingly.

I like about 250g regardless of bodyweight. I'm high carb though and carbs are protein sparring. That said if I'm not cutting and fancy a chicken breast I'm not going to say no because my protein will be to high

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

if you think u need to eat 250-300 pounds of pure protein a year in order to gain 5-10 pounds of muscle mass, then go ahead and eat 1.5-2g/pound a day.

if you think u need to eat 250-300 pounds of pure protein a year in order to gain 5-10 pounds of muscle mass, then go ahead and eat 1.5-2g/pound a day.

Some people just enjoy eating meat and Othery protein foods. I've been upto 2g pet lb but noticed no difference from 1g if I'm honest. But I do love diced chicken breast with my rice and veg so choose to eat a bit more than I think I really need

Protein

I'm in grad school for Clinical Nutrition and I just did a large paper on protein intake requirements in athletes and weight trainers. The research with the highest amount of protein found to be beneficial is 1.3g/kg bodyweight by Phillips. There have been other papers that attempted higher intakes but none were found to provide any additional benefit over a lower amount.
Additionally, in my practice, I have had clients use .8g/lb of LBM and have still found increases in hypertrophy in natural trainees.
I am thoroughly convinced 95% plus of serious weight trainers take in way too much protein. Mostly because of the bodybuilding media beating it in our heads that if we don't take in 40g of protein every 2 hours we will look like a cracked by the end of the day. It's just not true.

I'm in grad school for Clinical Nutrition and I just did a large paper on protein intake requirements in athletes and weight trainers. The research with the highest amount of protein found to be beneficial is 1.3g/kg bodyweight by Phillips. There have been other papers that attempted higher intakes but none were found to provide any additional benefit over a lower amount.
Additionally, in my practice, I have had clients use .8g/lb of LBM and have still found increases in hypertrophy in natural trainees.
I am thoroughly convinced 95% plus of serious weight trainers take in way too much protein. Mostly because of the bodybuilding media beating it in our heads that if we don't take in 40g of protein every 2 hours we will look like a cracked by the end of the day. It's just not true.
That is for naturals, I assume most here are not natural. Most studies mean jack shit pertaining to enhanced bodybuilders

I'm sure all that looked good on paper and I somewhat agree.

But, where these trainees in a caloric deficit? Because as we all know protein can and will be used as fuel if carbs and fats are low. So in this case protein needs to significantly higher. Especially if you train hard and you want to maintain your muscle mass, because we all know muscle is made of protein. My body loves to use protein as fuel even when I'm not in a calorie deficit. Which brings me to another point. The old everyone is different phrase especially applies to how much protein one should get. Also the quality and source is very important.

I also believe most people are really unaware of exactly how much and what protein really maters. I believe quality cuts of meat are best and amino acid and protein intake around workouts are the most important. But there's a lot factors for the old how much protein question. All I can do is speak for myself and I can say for sure I do best with staggering and cycling protein 1.5-2.0 grams of protein per pound of body weight. So in other words I found over trial and error I do wayy better with higher protein. I stay vascular and hard and the more protein I take in the faster strength and muscle gains occur.

I personally like to rotate my protein intake, at some points going as high as 2g/pound and sometimes probably less than 1g/pound. Much like rotating training splits and macro nutrient sources. I have no science backing it but makes sense to me. And seems to be working.

125gr to 175ish at about 200lbs. Don't really count anymore but usually comes somewhere between there.

ya I mean for an athlete that uses drugs ,wouldn't it make most sense to go the higher route for protein intake since that's what drugs need to be effective

It depends on your body type.

In my opinion there is a big difference between:

200g protein
80g fat
620g carbs

AND

350g protein
80g fat
470g carbs

Both the same calories but depending on your body type one will work better than the other, probably not on paper but in the real world.

It depends on your body type.

In my opinion there is a big difference between:

200g protein
80g fat
620g carbs

AND

350g protein
80g fat
470g carbs

Both the same calories but depending on your body type one will work better than the other, probably not on paper but in the real world.

for an ectomorph body type ,which would work better in your opinion

for an ectomorph body type ,which would work better in your opinion

More carbs because it is easier to eat more calories with them but once you hit the limit where you physically can't eat more carbs then I would start cooking everything in butter, eating peanut butter out of the jar and coating everything in olive oil to get in more calories, maybe even get some fast food a few times a week if you are really struggling.

With most ecto body types the actual macros don't matter as much as the calories.

Its different for different people, I manipulate my protein intake more and more than I did in the past, I will do a range of meals that are 1.2 gm/lb and go up to around 1.5 -in the past I did more, but I was on gear and 30 lbs bigger so I had to in order to keep my intake where it needed to be, my protein metabolism is back to a slower rate now.
Also according to diet, higher carb days I drop protein lower and visa versa.

I like about 250g regardless of bodyweight. I'm high carb though and carbs are protein sparring. That said if I'm not cutting and fancy a chicken breast I'm not going to say no because my protein will be to high

Same here, 250g is my number. Looks like we are doing lots of things the same
responding the same lol
I do not the point of increasing protein mega high, it leaves ultra little space for carbs - then you are weak, flat, cheat on your diet if carbs are too low, bg gets too low, you do not need to lower bg as low as possible, bring insulin levels as low as possible, have as less spikes as possible etc all you need to do is burn more cals than you eat and have protein and carbs (no dietary fats) accordingly. On top of that changing protein intake when bulking or cutting leaves too much space for variation. Keep protein the same (your mšscle mass will not change when dieting, you will even lose some so why to eat more?) ang play with carbs and fats. This is what I do when starting gradual dieting keep protein the same, carbs the same and cut all added fats - first step, next stęp - dropping carbs every week or two, untill I get to 200-250g at this point I am very lean already, if I want to get ultra lean - adding cardio for the mext 2-4 week is the last step. Very simple, yet very effective.

Last edited:
Same here, 250g is my number. Looks like we are doing lots of things the same
responding the same lol
I do not the point of increasing protein mega high, it leaves ultra little space for carbs - then you are weak, flat, cheat on your diet if carbs are too low, bg gets too low, you do not need to lower bg as low as possible, bring insulin levels as low as possible, have as less spikes as possible etc all you need to do is burn more cals than you eat and have protein and carbs (no dietary fats) accordingly. On top of that changing protein intake when bulking or cutting leaves too much space for variation. Keep protein the same (your mšscle mass will not change when dieting, you will even lose some so why to eat more?) ang play with carbs and fats. This is what I do when starting gradual dieting keep protein the same, carbs the same and cut all added fats - first step, next stęp - dropping carbs every week or two, untill I get to 200-250g at this point I am very lean already, if I want to get ultra lean - adding cardio for the mext 2-4 week is the last step. Very simple, yet very effective.

Yea. Our approaches are very similar. Once I stopped worrying about insulin spikes and trying to stay real low gi things fell into place. I'm quite happy to go upto 1 hour plus cardio a day and bring in Clen before I touch my carbs as energy levels are ridiculous and cravings 0 with carbs real high. 500 Carbs And 250 protein is only 3000 calories, with fish oil and incidentals probably about 3300 for me which for my metabolism is real low. For me is about feeling good and using an approach that's maintainable more than optimum results. I'd rather diet for 12 weeks feeling good than 8 feeling like shit.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75