over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Protein intake and age

inoverdrive

Kilo Klub Member / Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I went to the doctor for a follow up after a month long period in the hospital. Everything was getting better and Im ready to get back in the gym. My doctor of course gave me the quick lecture about steroids. Hes a great guy and Ive always told him everything. Then he said slow down on the protein. He says that the older we get the less protein we need!!!! Now Im not the smartest guy on the block but that sounds kinda screwed up.

So my question is do you guys or girls keep taking the same amount of protein at 43 as you did when you were, lets say in your 20's or 30's?

With all due respect to your doctor its likely he does not have the experience to know what he's taking about. That is, if all his knowledge comes from reading text books then his opinion can be disregarded. Those who have walked a mile in our shoes know better. If you're sauced up you absolutely can and should be ingesting way more protein than anyone in the medical community would call necessary. But those with experience know you grow a lot more on 400g of protein a day than 80g or whatever the recommendation would be.
As for 43 that's not old at all. [It better not be because I'll be there soon :p] Plenty of guys in here are competing well into their 50's. Now I'm not saying there isn't a shred of truth behind your doctors words. But keep it in perspective, your bodybuilding perspective.

I'm over 50 and in the best overall shape of my life. I've been through all the theories including high carb, low carb, ... Until I went to the 400 g protein and high good fat approach a few years ago, I just felt relatively lousy and could not gain and/or keep gains. I do eat lots of carbs, but the protein and fat are foundational.

Just started gear recently and all I've done food wise is consume alot more, but same foundation.

Your doctor is right, but thats only for a person that does not tear down muscle like we do and use AAS. AAS allows us to take in more protien for building.

Not sure if this helps. :) I'm almost 50 and my intake is around 300-350 grams of protein. :)

There is some controversy about the relative alteration in protein turnover rate with age, with some investigators reporting an increase in protein turnover rate and some reporting a decrease in protein turnover rates. Research studies have demonstrated that older adults require more protein than the RDA of 0.8 grams in order to maintain nitrogen equilibrium. The result of this phenomenon is that older adults require more grams of dietaryprotein/kilogram body weight than do younger adults. Over the past two decades, and with renewed interest most recently, it has become clear that the requirement for exogenous protein is at least 1.0 gram/kilogram body weight with additional amounts needed to heal wounds or pressure ulcers, to fight infection, or to build new tissue to replace normal losses. Despite some concern about high levels of dietary protein in older adults contributing to renal disease, there is no evidence to support this.

Last edited:
I need more protein as I age . Probably as I have to use less carbs .

Protein as usual, no problems.

In our world its goal dependant in my opinion!

In your docs world its just something that he has to say to evey single person he has in front of him that reaches a certain age!!

If water intake is good then what problems does a reasonable protein intake bring up?

Personally mine only hovers around the 1g/lb bodyweight nowadays but im not looking to gain anymore muscle as im approaching 40 and have other hobbies that are taking over!

Out of all macros surely higher protein is healthier than high fats or carbs as we age? (i no personally my body doesnt handle carbs now like it did when i was in my 20s and 30s and theres only so many healthy fats you can find to eat)

so high protein is necessary to build muscle tissue? ask a beef cattle farmer how much protein his bulls eat! nill....yes we are not cattle...but

so high protein is necessary to build muscle tissue? ask a beef cattle farmer how much protein his bulls eat! nill....yes we are not cattle...but

I will feed you the feed the bull get and see how well you do with that....
or maybe try and feed a cow on what you eat and see what happened.

according to your logic we should eat leaves from the top branches of the trees only , as giraffes got huge leg muscles.

I didn't finally figure out to get my protein around 250 mg a day till I was 45, now I am 52 and finally able to carry the anount of muscle I want.

The RDA for protein is the amount needed to keep you rfrom dying of disease.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity