advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Protein Intake Per Meal: How Much Can You Digest?

BigDM

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
This topic has been discussed several times on this board, but I found this article to be quite informative. There are many opinions about this, but this author seems to cover the bases quite well imho.

Frequent feeding teaches no more than 30-50 grams of protein per meal. Many assume that the body can't handle more than this. Find out the truth about protein digestion.

One of the more common questions that many gym enthusiasts bring up is “How much protein can the body digest at one time?”

For some odd reason this purported, arbitrary amount of protein seems to land somewhere between 30-50g for all humans, regardless of body mass.

If that supposition isn’t already asinine enough, allow me to elucidate you about why the body can handle quite a bit more protein in one sitting then people seem to give it credit for.

Early phases of protein digestion

Before we dabble in protein quantities and tangible figures for you to implement, it’s worthwhile to have a rudimentary understanding of how protein is actually metabolized by the human body. Granted the entire scope of protein digestion is a field of research in and of itself, we will still go over the gist of how it works.

Firstly, as you likely already know, the ingestion process begins in the mouth which is primarily responsible for the physical breaking down of foods. After you’re incisors and molars do their dirty work, the broken bits of food/nutrients (in this instance, protein) make their way to the stomach where the digestion process kicks in.

The stomach is a rich source of gastric juice, which is composed of hydrochloric acid, sodium chloride and potassium chloride. These acids initiate the chemical breakdown (denaturation) of proteins and activate the necessary digestive enzymes to further the process of digestion. One of the key enzymes in protein digestion is pepsin, which is why some naturopaths assert that those who eat a large amount of protein should supplement with this enzyme, but that remains to be investigated for efficacy.

Late phases of protein digestion

Moving on, after the protein has been denatured sufficiently; the eluting polypeptides make their way to the duodenum, which is the anterior segment of the small intestine. The duodenum is the site of the majority of protein digestion and amino acid absorption. The plethora of digestive enzymes present in the small intestine serves to further cleave the polypeptides into isolated amino acids and minute amounts of di-/tri-peptides.

Towards the end of protein digestion, the isolated amino acids are destined to either entrance of the intestinal cells or passing through circulation towards the liver. Once in the liver, amino acids are finally subject to the proper metabolic pathways in accordance with the body’s energetic requirements (e.g. utilized for protein synthesis, used as a substrate for gluconeogenesis, etc.)

So how much protein can the human body really digest in one sitting?

With the basics of protein digestion covered, let’s take a pragmatic look at the theories and research behind how much protein can be digested at a given time. It should be noted here that this question is asking about how much can be digested, which isn’t the same as asking how much can be used for muscle protein synthesis (MPS); digestion and MPS aren’t interchangeable terms like some people seem to believe.

Back on topic, the idea that the human body has a rather random “protein cap” at the 30-50g mark just doesn’t hold up from an evolutionary nor biochemical aspect. Essentially, the supposition that your body doesn’t (read: can’t) absorb/digest more than 30g-50g of protein at once is inherently suggesting that you are just excreting any amount of protein over that mark in your feces.

So in essence, instead of your body digesting the “excess” protein, it magically bypasses the highly conserved/intricate digestive process that we covered in this article and sends the extra protein to your colon. Hmmm…we’d be pretty screwed from a physiological standpoint if that were true, not to mention people would be living on the toilet.

Moreover, there is little-to-no literature that confirms the body doesn’t absorb more than 30-50g of protein at a given moment. In fact, the literature supports that the body can indeed digest quite a large bolus; it just takes longer than a smaller dose.[1]

Basically, rather than just redirecting excess protein to your colon, the rate of digestion compensates to reduce the supply of nutrients being sent to the anterior small intestine (i.e. the stomach delays gastric processes).

For the absolute extremists who like to propose rather absurd circumstances, like eating 200g of protein at once, would the body be able to digest all of it? Well frankly, yes, but not all of that will be put to “good use” so to speak.

Protein can indeed be converted to fat, but the pathways to do so are inefficient biochemically so the significance of this conversion is trivial. Most likely, the majority of protein that isn’t used for MPS or other anabolic processes is probably subject to hepatic gluconeogenesis and subsequently stored in the form of glycogen.

So there you have it, you can eat quite a bit of protein at any given time, just don’t be too extreme about it if you want to effectively utilize the amino acids.

depends on meal comp

If you search, you will find about 200 threads on that subject.

If you search, you will find about 200 threads on that subject.

This one isn't one of them, but thank you for your input. By the way, I did mention at the beginning of the post that this topic had been discussed on the board many times.

Oh yeah, please tell what topic hasn't been discussed on the board many, many times. I'm all ears bro :D

Last edited:
Well, I just ate a pound of grassfed beef with 2cups rice, so I hope a lot can be taken in at once! I wish my appetite was always this ravenous.

I think there are a lot of factors involved such as liquid protein or whole food, what other things the protein is consumed with and how much, whether your natural or on AS, insulin, normal meal or post workout, size of the person, age, metabolism, etc. . .

Well, I just ate a pound of grassfed beef with 2cups rice, so I hope a lot can be taken in at once! I wish my appetite was always this ravenous.

Pretty much my post workout meal. I use mince steak and even throw in some toffee flavoured whey for taste. probably about 130g protein but it's nice and fills me up. The way I see it is still calories that can be used for growing

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

40-50g when blasting 30-40g when cruising every 3 hours,only pwo i have 40-50g whey then 30-50g worth protein from meats an hour later. On cheats my protein might shoot up over 100g too,depending what I eat

Its all strictly dependant on how much testosterona trenbolona and equipona you have in teh blood.

Its all strictly dependant on how much testosterona trenbolona and equipona you have in teh blood.

is it?
I don't see how juice can increase digestion.
utilization of what IS digested makes sense tho.
-JS

is it?
I don't see how juice can increase digestion.
utilization of what IS digested makes sense tho.
-JS

LOL oh you were taking me serious? Hahaha

Nah brah I was just trying to sound like a GH15 nuthugger lmao

Theres just too many variables in the topic that I dont even feel like speaking on it and opening a silly can of worms lol

LOL oh you were taking me serious? Hahaha

Nah brah I was just trying to sound like a GH15 nuthugger lmao

Theres just too many variables in the topic that I dont even feel like speaking on it and opening a silly can of worms lol

LOL, much love JJ!:)

I can have 51.234 gms of protein per meal every 47.34 minutes
-JS

No science here from me but real world results.. When it's time to add muscle -more protein per meal & a additional meal or 2 per day works every time for me. Do this in reverse & opposite happens.

I've read everything I could find on this topic. Dr.Donald Layman is a highly respected researcher in the field & his ADVICES (HEAR ARNOLD) & research looked at 30 -100 grams of protein per meal. Believes that range to be the sweet spot. LOTS OF VARIABLES.. I personally have no clue. Lol I BELIEVE we r rounding first base with what science knows currently. Real world trainers have a step on the scientists. Absolutley faster out of the box :)

His standard recommendation is get in a minimum of 30 grams per meal. Seen no problems with 50plus other than people have a hard time eating enough.

Last edited:
There are so many variables and factors related to this it can be difficult to decide what is the best method. All we can do is be informed as much as possible and see what works best for each of us and adjust as needed.

I believe you absorb whatever you eat but if your body does not need it then it'll be turned into stored fat.

So it is more about how much protein do you need and when are you taking it in (ie. breakfast, pre, intra, post,...,or before bed)

The rice will lower acid levels and hinder protein digestion by causing the beef to partially putrefy in your stomach.

I'm telling you man, everybody would get much more nutritional value from the food they eat if they didn't mix all these starch carbs with protein. It's the biggest mistake you can make when it comes to diet.

Layne norton has gone over this many times. You body absorbs everything you put into it. There is not set limit on protein.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael_
NapsGear