advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Protein Intake Per Meal: How Much Can You Digest?

The rice will lower acid levels and hinder protein digestion by causing the beef to partially putrefy in your stomach.

I'm telling you man, everybody would get much more nutritional value from the food they eat if they didn't mix all these starch carbs with protein. It's the biggest mistake you can make when it comes to diet.

I've read this before but I've seen a lot of people get huge mixing starch and protein every meal and I've been doing so for quite a while with good gains so who knows. It's kinda one of those science vs real world results things. Shelby has me eating rice and steak post workout and I have rice every meal and have had my best gains doing so. My protein probably high enough that if some gets wasted not a big deal though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I've read this before but I've seen a lot of people get huge mixing starch and protein every meal and I've been doing so for quite a while with good gains so who knows. It's kinda one of those science vs real world results things. Shelby has me eating rice and steak post workout and I have rice every meal and have had my best gains doing so. My protein probably high enough that if some gets wasted not a big deal though.

Yeah, of course it's going to feed you eating that way, on the other hand how much extra food are you having to eat because you're not fully digesting your meals?

I thought it was all hogwash until I gave it a solid trial. After awhile I noticed I don't need as much food as before to make the same progress. That sealed the deal for me. You can't outsmart mother nature.

Yeah, of course it's going to feed you eating that way, on the other hand how much extra food are you having to eat because you're not fully digesting your meals?

I thought it was all hogwash until I gave it a solid trial. After awhile I noticed I don't need as much food as before to make the same progress. That sealed the deal for me. You can't outsmart mother nature.

So what did you trial, not eating any starch carbs at all? Or eating them separately?

Interesting. To be fair nature does always put protein with fat. I love eating though so the thought of not having to eat as much takes some of the fun away. Its good that you gave it a fair trial. Thanks for the feed back. That's what i look for. People's real world experience. When I was cruising doing carbless post workout I seemed to hold weight on less food then I thought I would. Never even considered it could be to do with digestion efficency but now I wonder. On the flip side of the coin a few weeks back I had food poisoning and was violently sick a few times. Being sad and since I never made it anywhere near the toilet I checked it to make sure I hadn't wasted to much chicken breast. The Brown rice peas and carrots came up in pristine condition but the meat and other stuff all seemed to have vanished so I assume it must have been digested.

So what did you trial, not eating any starch carbs at all? Or eating them separately?

90% of the time pro/fat is eaten with no starch carbs, if I go out I'm not going to be so strict if I can help it, pizza, lasagna that kinda thing.

The rest of the time starch carbs are eaten solo, same with fruit. The meals are usually alternated, but it's not written in stone.

M-1 may be a chunk of brisket, 6-8 eggs,

M-2 a bunch of compatible fruit,

M-3 might be as much potatoes, rice or some other starch carb and as I can get down, no fat

M-4 chunk of cheese

M-5 more carbs

M-6 meat or protein shake, etc.

I feel waaay better eating like this,

When bodyfat has to go I switch to Anabolic Diet. Pro/fat all week, carbs only all weekend. I wouldn't go back to square meals if you told me it'd cure cancer.

Interesting. To be fair nature does always put protein with fat. I love eating though so the thought of not having to eat as much takes some of the fun away. Its good that you gave it a fair trial. Thanks for the feed back. That's what i look for. People's real world experience. When I was cruising doing carbless post workout I seemed to hold weight on less food then I thought I would. Never even considered it could be to do with digestion efficency but now I wonder. On the flip side of the coin a few weeks back I had food poisoning and was violently sick a few times. Being sad and since I never made it anywhere near the toilet I checked it to make sure I hadn't wasted to much chicken breast. The Brown rice peas and carrots came up in pristine condition but the meat and other stuff all seemed to have vanished so I assume it must have been digested.

Oh yeah, I always eat protein with fat. I think it's a toss up on what is going to be digested best when you mix. I believe it hovers around 50% for each macro excluding fats. In your case you just didn't chew the rice, peas, and carrots good enough. :eek:

Last edited:
Now these are the types of discussions I like to see and the reason I post articles like this that have touched on the same topic before. Good stuff fellas!

Well on my side I eat 6-7 solid meals for many years, lately kinda got tired of this cooking and diet thing, I replaced 4 meals with equal nutrients in shake form( oats, fats, whey), and guess what? my life got much easier and less expensive, my body look the same if not leaner.

Well on my side I eat 6-7 solid meals for many years, lately kinda got tired of this cooking and diet thing, I replaced 4 meals with equal nutrients in shake form( oats, fats, whey), and guess what? my life got much easier and less expensive, my body look the same if not leaner.

Just goes to show you there is more than one way to skin a cat..... I do half my meals protein/fat and the other half protein/carbs.... making nice gains so far while still keeping fairly lean

90% of the time pro/fat is eaten with no starch carbs, if I go out I'm not going to be so strict if I can help it, pizza, lasagna that kinda thing.

The rest of the time starch carbs are eaten solo, same with fruit. The meals are usually alternated, but it's not written in stone.

M-3 might be as much potatoes, rice or some other starch carb and as I can get down, no fat

M-4 chunk of cheese

M-5 more carbs

When bodyfat has to go I switch to Anabolic Diet. Pro/fat all week, carbs only all weekend. I wouldn't go back to square meals if you told me it'd cure cancer.

Oh yeah, I always eat protein with fat. I think it's a toss up on what is going to be digested best when you mix. I believe it hovers around 50% for each macro excluding fats. In your case you just didn't chew the rice, peas, and carrots good enough. :eek:

I do tend to swallow food lol. Probably lowers the gi some what:D

The rice will lower acid levels and hinder protein digestion by causing the beef to partially putrefy in your stomach.

I'm telling you man, everybody would get much more nutritional value from the food they eat if they didn't mix all these starch carbs with protein. It's the biggest mistake you can make when it comes to diet.

Could u post where u got this information. It's very interesting, I've brought this up to my chemistry, and biology professors and they say this is absolutely ridiculous. And you would be shitting out Undigested food. If I had the article I could show them. Thanks!

M-4 chunk of cheese

M-5 more carbs

its great you feel better eating like this but don't preach BS. Who the fuck eats carbs alone maybe skinny models who eat crackers and shit. I don't want to start an argument but all your food is being mixed sorry to tell you. Is starch not the healthiest carb available sure. Does it fill glycogen stores better then fruit FUCK yes I have tried both and that's good enough for me to know what I should be doing. The best advice is for everyone to take into account there lifestyle, there goals, and there likes/ dislikes also- then experiment and make there own conclusions. But to say one way is best is ignorant. I know guys that eat carbs around workouts others all day long but I can tell you one thing- theres some form of protein in every meal how much who the fuck cares.

its great you feel better eating like this but don't preach BS. Who the fuck eats carbs alone maybe skinny models who eat crackers and shit. I don't want to start an argument but all your food is being mixed sorry to tell you. Is starch not the healthiest carb available sure. Does it fill glycogen stores better then fruit FUCK yes I have tried both and that's good enough for me to know what I should be doing. The best advice is for everyone to take into account there lifestyle, there goals, and there likes/ dislikes also- then experiment and make there own conclusions. But to say one way is best is ignorant. I know guys that eat carbs around workouts others all day long but I can tell you one thing- theres some form of protein in every meal how much who the fuck cares.
It's not BS, It's the way the human digestive system operates, period!

The ONLY reason most people eat the way they do mixing everything and anything together is because it tastes good. Saying "all your food is being mixed" just excluded yourself from any rational debate.

You sound like one of those clowns on the Planet Fitness commercials "I lift things up, and put them down" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's not BS, It's the way the human digestive system operates, period!

The ONLY reason most people eat the way they do mixing everything and anything together is because it tastes good. Saying "all your food is being mixed" just excluded yourself from any rational debate.

You sound like one of those clowns on the Planet Fitness commercials "I lift things up, and put them down" :rolleyes:

I've done a bit of Googleing on this and there seems to be arguments for both approaches. I'm going to dig a bit deeper as it's an interesting subject. The ones for it day Eat your carbs 4 hours Away from your protein and your protein 2 hours after tour carbs which could get very impractical for me as I eat 7 meals a day and neverreally go 4 hours without food. There's others that day there is no real scientific evidence to back it up although the theory sounds valid enough. I shall keep an open mind and keep reading.

I've done a bit of Googleing on this and there seems to be arguments for both approaches. I'm going to dig a bit deeper as it's an interesting subject. The ones for it day Eat your carbs 4 hours Away from your protein and your protein 2 hours after tour carbs which could get very impractical for me as I eat 7 meals a day and neverreally go 4 hours without food. There's others that day there is no real scientific evidence to back it up although the theory sounds valid enough. I shall keep an open mind and keep reading.

Yes, but when you eat your protein meals and you're putting down 150 grams of protein in those meals and they're being used to their full potential, the majority of those aminos are going to be floating around in your bloodstream well into the next meal of 200-300 grams of carbs.

I agree, it's a radical departure from what's considered 'normal and acceptable', but the ease of digestion, lack of gas/bloating and results are there.

I am just looking at it logically.... and my thoughts...
humans are omnivores (can tell by our teeth among other things) so I assume our digestive system can support that.
if humans truly are mean to to "survive" then they would eat any and all food they could acquire. "want some berries with that dead moose? hell yes!"
I am thinking that's how primitive man felt about it. :)
so years later, I am pretty sure our digestive tract is adapted to this kind of eating.
-JS

So to maximise MPS and not waste protein converting to glycogen, what do you recon a 230lb 5.11 guy taking 2g of gear should eat every 3 hours, protein wise, 50g? Been told it's more towards 80g and I should up my chicken from 200g (cooked) to 300g just can't afford it right now

Well I eat 20-100g protein per meal so not sure that helps :eek: I don't really put much thought into it. The amount all depends upon how hungry I am or what I have just done or about to do.

I know a few advanced guys who have literally halved their protein before and it hasn't effected their look/muscle. We are all obviously not turning all our protein into muscle... far from it. We all absorb it but I mean does 800g really mean more muscle than 600g... I think not. Although it all depends upon the amount imo... 300g certainly builds more muscle than 100g.

There is data that suggests we only absorb 30g protein at one time but I think that is complete rubbish. If I have just abused my legs for 2 hours in the gym I bet all my 60g protein is going to good use. This question is so individual and everyone has a different answer. Moreover your other macronutrients are a major contributing factor as they are protein sparing (especially carbs). If I had to suggest a range I would think 30-60g per meal suit most people... but then you ask how many meals per day so we start going around in circles again cos everyone requires different amounts.

Last edited:
I find it silly that our bodies only digest protein at certain "times" and that there is a limit on protein but not carbs and fats???

I thought my body was working all the time...my heart and lungs sure work all the time. Why wouldn't my digestive system work all the time? As someone else pointed out, it'll just take longer to digest if you eat more.

I am just looking at it logically.... and my thoughts...
humans are omnivores (can tell by our teeth among other things) so I assume our digestive system can support that.
if humans truly are mean to to "survive" then they would eat any and all food they could acquire. "want some berries with that dead moose? hell yes!"
I am thinking that's how primitive man felt about it. :)
so years later, I am pretty sure our digestive tract is adapted to this kind of eating.
-JS

You've got a point, we are omnivores. We also claim to be smarter than the 'lower animals' and yet a bear, pig, or rat will never search out any and all types of food to eat at the same time just to satisfy their palate.

If a bear has a stream full of salmon to gorge on he's not going to take a break and go find some blueberries to complement his meal. Perhaps because he is more in tune with his body and his intuition won't allow him.

I challenge you to eat a ribeye steak and an equal amount of any fruit you like then take note of what happens to you and how you feel in the hours afterward.

We may be omnivores but the peculiar thing about our digestive system is that it does not function optimally when both acid and alkaline digestion is occurring at the same time. It's a biological fact, you couldn't convince me otherwise.

Last edited:
You've got a point, we are omnivores. We also claim to be smarter than the 'lower animals' and yet a bear, pig, or rat will never search out any and all types of food to eat at the same time just to satisfy it's palate.

If a bear has a stream full of salmon to gorge on he's not going to take a break and go find some blueberries to complement his meal. Perhaps because he is more in tune with his body and his intuition won't allow him.

I challenge you to eat a ribeye steak and an equal amount of any fruit you like then take note of what happens to you and how you feel in the hours afterward.

We may be omnivores but the peculiar thing about our digestive system is that it does not function optimally when both acid and alkaline digestion is occurring at the same time. It's a biological fact, you couldn't convince me otherwise.

I can't find the information ur speaking of.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws