over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

protein intake?

bapperfan

Registered
protein intake? + Big Bapper

Hey guys, first thread - hope it is not a silly question...anyway...

It is fairly common knowledge that daily protein should be 1.5-2.0g / lb bodyweight. My question is wheteher this rule applies to both natties and those on aas, etc? Or would the recommendations differ between these two groups of people?
Many thanks for your time, and once again - great board.

Incidentally, it is the 2nd anniversary of Big Bappers passing today. I didn't want to start a thread on this at the moment as it is probably more respectful to his fiancee to let her do that (if she intends to)...

Last edited:

It is fairly common knowledge that daily protein should be 1.5-2.0g / lb bodyweight. My question is wheteher this rule applies to both natties and those on aas, etc? Or would the recommendations differ between these two groups of people?

Incidentally, it is the 2nd anniversary of Big Bappers passing today. I didn't want to start a thread on this at the moment as it is probably more respectful to his fiancee to let her do that (if she intends to)...

Says who? Many people say it's per lb LBM, big difference. Still, who says that and why do they say that? Because it sounds good? Ask Phil Hernon about his stance on it

Last edited:
Says who? Many people say it's per lb LBM, big difference. Still, who says that and why do they say that? Because it sounds good? Ask Phil Hernon about his stance on it

I must have read about the 1.5 g/ lb thing a hundred times here and there - the one example I can give you is from Dorian Yates' Blood and Guts book...

I must have read about the 1.5 g/ lb thing a hundred times here and there - the one example I can give you is from Dorian Yates' Blood and Guts book...

I know, but why take in that much? If you weigh 225, can your body actually process 337g protein a day or will some/most of it be wasted? I think it's a generic number that everyone uses. I mean everyone! Read a Flex or Muscular Development magazine and they'll say the same thing. Problem is, the people that they are talking about (enhanced athletes) are able to synthesize protein better due to their usage (which you did mention). But, that raises the question again, why is that the number? Isn't/shouldn't it be subjective to the individual?

That's why I said to ask Phil to see where he stands on this issue. He's worked with plenty of people and knows what he's doing. I mean, that is just a standard number that has been around forever ya know. It's only "common knowledge" because you just read it everywhere, it doesn't make it necessarily true either

I know, but why take in that much? If you weigh 225, can your body actually process 337g protein a day or will some/most of it be wasted? I think it's a generic number that everyone uses. I mean everyone! Read a Flex or Muscular Development magazine and they'll say the same thing. Problem is, the people that they are talking about (enhanced athletes) are able to synthesize protein better due to their usage (which you did mention). But, that raises the question again, why is that the number? Isn't/shouldn't it be subjective to the individual?

That's why I said to ask Phil to see where he stands on this issue. He's worked with plenty of people and knows what he's doing. I mean, that is just a standard number that has been around forever ya know. It's only "common knowledge" because you just read it everywhere, it doesn't make it necessarily true either

Thanks for the comments buddy - I'll bear in mind to ask Phil as you said - thanks again bud :)

Yes phils method is a little different but it works im growing and not getting fat

Thanks for the comments buddy - I'll bear in mind to ask Phil as you said - thanks again bud :)

I'm sorry I didn't answer your question. The reason I said most of the things I did is because I've learned that we have to question why we do the things we do. Do we do it because that's just the way it's always been done or because we personally have seen it work. Take DC training for instance, it doesn't follow the cookie cutter routines in the magazines or what any trainers at Golds Gym will set up, but you will get strong as an ox and put on size. Phils methods are unorthodox, but they work.

I see guys in the gym with their magazines go from flat bench, to incline bench, to cable press downs, to kickbacks, back to db bench and maybe dips. These guys are doing the same weight they did last year when they started the routine. They never progressed. Granted, we do need to lower our weight sometimes for injury purposes, but these guys NEVER progress. But they sure do have their protein shakes ready after the workout!

Reading DC, Phil, Bboy, Lucian etc post makes me have to question why do we do some of the things we do. That's all I was saying. But, and "enhanced" athlete will be able to sythesize more protein than a natural athlete

Yes phils method is a little different but it works im growing and not getting fat

It's crazy, I've never eaten so many carbs in my life!!!

Here I will let you answer this question. I want you to think about it.

If your trying to put on size, does it matter whether your natty or on aas? Isn't the purpose of high protein used to build muscles in this sport?

Since you guys are talking about a not ridiculously high protein approach, it's interesting to note that Arthur Jones, Dr. Darden, Mike Mentzer, et al. advocated a more balanced diet with less protein and more carbs.

If your trying to put on size, does it matter whether your natty or on aas? Isn't the purpose of high protein used to build muscles in this sport?

Bingo!!!! If I'm bulking I'll try to cram 2.0 -2.5g of carbs daily!

Cage

Hey TOM,
Thanks for the reply, but I think you misunderstood me?
I am trying to get to the bottom of whether a natty needs the same protein per lb as someone on aas?

Hey TOM,
Thanks for the reply, but I think you misunderstood me?
I am trying to get to the bottom of whether a natty needs the same protein per lb as someone on aas?

I could be wrong, but I would think it has to do with rate of growth if you want to simplify things. A natty won't grow as quick as someone who is enhanced. If one person is building at a different rate than someone else, it would make sense to me they would require a higher intake.

I think you can come up with a general rule of thumb like most things, but all people are different. It won't always apply.

It's like saying everyone should eat a 2000 calorie a day diet. Someone who is athletic will need more fuel to burn then someone who is lax.

So to answer your question, I would think someone on AAS would need more than someone who is natural. (All things being equal) As in...comparing 2, 200lbs guys for instance. NOT a 175lb guy vs. 250lbs guy.

There is nothing proven in studies that defines exactly what is the optimal amount of protein to take for muscle growth. They also still havent be able to prove exactly how much protein a person can effectively handle per meal. There are however plenty of published results showing better progress for those taking higher protein then lower but I think the most I've seen in a study was based on 1.4g per lb.

The whole gram/per lb thing doesnt seem to be perfect either. If two people weigh say 200 lbs but one is 35% fat and the other is 10%, wouldnt there be a difference in protein needed for muscle...

Higher protein counts seem to be working for many body builders though.

Thanks to all those who have taken the time to constructively reply to my query. Much appreciated guys :)

Personally, I just try and eat regularly and I assume I am getting enough protein if I continue to get stronger in the gym (protein being used to repair tissue). As long as I have plenty of energy, I assume I am getting enough carbs...And as long as I am not getting fat - I assume I am not over-eating...

This now leads me to ask - if numbers cannot be proven, and everyone is different, how many of you guys weigh your food?

Last edited:
for me my trainer feeds me for my LBM because there is no point feeding yourself extra cals for fat mass. even at 10% bf your still carring like 15 ish lbs of fat mass i belive. and 1.5-2 grams per bw all depends on what kind of gainer you are and how hard your training and how much rest your getting. i try to stick the the 1.5 grams per lbs. but i also sip on BCAA"S throughout the whole day so that helps a lot with out taking in extra cals.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131