over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

PROTEIN Powder TOXIC ?

repper

Registered
I did a search on here and didn't find any discussion about the July Consumer Reports article about protein powders being toxic with excess levels of arsenic, cadmium, etc. in just 3 servings. Personally, I've used many times that amount daily for the last 15 years. I know the article focused on 15 specific protein powders, but they all had the toxic ingredients to some extent, so it should mean that all other brands have them too. I've been using Protein Factory's CFM whey powder for years, and sometimes from True Protein, and never thought twice about toxicity. Anyone have input on the article?

Consumer Labs

I'm a subscriber of Consumer Labs which for the last decade has completed no strings attached independent studies of various vitamins, minerals, supplements, etc throughout the market and test to determine the accuracy of what is being advertised on the label.

They were the first to test protein powders and highlighted an update on their website regarding the Consumer Report finding. I thought this might be applicable to this discussion. See below.

Update:
Comments on Consumer Reports July 2010 Article on Protein Powders — (7/8/10) A few weeks after ConsumerLab.com published this report, Consumer Reports (CR) similarly published a report on protein powders in its July 2010 issue. If you use protein powders, you should be aware of their findings. Below are our comments on the CR report:

- The tests in the CR report were somewhat different from our report. CR tested products for contamination with lead, arsenic, cadmium and mercury. It did not test for nutrients. We tested products for nutrients (protein, fats, carbohydrates, cholesterol and sodium) and potential contamination with lead and melamine (a potential adulterant of protein products).

- Two Muscle Milk products (Chocolate and Vanilla Crème) were found by CR to have elevated levels of lead (13.5 mcg and 12.2 mcg, respectively, in 3 servings), despite being "Certified for Sport" by NSF International. These products were not tested in our review. A letter posted by NSF International responding to the CR report indicates that the NSF Dietary Supplement Certification program permits up to 20 mcg of lead per daily serving of a product. CR chose to flag amounts over 10 mcg in its report based on a proposed USP limit (which we have petitioned to lower). We consider both limits relatively lenient and both are higher than ConsumerLab.com’s daily lead limit, which is 2.5 mcg for large-serving protein powders and just 0.5 mcg in most dietary supplements with smaller serving sizes. It is important that you know the criteria by which products are judged. (ConsumerLab.com is the only certification program that makes its criteria publicly available.)

- Both reports appear to include BSN Core Series Syntha-6 Chocolate Milkshake (although the CR report lists “Ultra Chocolate Milkshake”). The product is “Approved” in our report and did not exceed CR’s contamination limits. However, CR reported more lead (5.4 mcg) than we found (<2.5 mcg). Assuming these were the same product and flavor, the difference may be due to lot-to-lot variability or variations in testing methodology.

- One member asked us why we Approved” an EAS brand product if CR found an EAS product to be contaminated with arsenic and cadmium. To clarify, the EAS product on which we reported (below) is EAS® 100% Whey Protein Chocolate, while the product tested by CR is EAS Myoplex Original Rich Dark Chocolate Shake. These contain very different ingredients, including different types of protein (Myoplex contains a blend of proteins, not just whey protein, for example). However, based on CR's findings we will consider including arsenic and cadmium testing of protein supplements in the future.

That is why I use ALLMAX Nutrition. We posted, the day after this hit the news, lab reports proving our proteins do not have these contaminants. We test each and every batch, every time. Good clean protein.

Though i feel the whole consumer reports thing was blown out of proportion

That consumer reports report was hysterical bunk.

For example,

Three daily servings of the ready-to-drink liquid EAS Myoplex Original Rich Dark Chocolate Shake provide an average of 16.9 micrograms (µg) of arsenic, exceeding the proposed USP limit of 15 µg per day and an average of 5.1 µg of cadmium, which is just above the USP limit of 5 µg per day.

But arsenic is a natural element present in most foodstuffs. See this table.

**broken link removed**

So for example, a 6 oz can of tuna has about 150 mcg of arsenic. In other words, you have to drink 26 Myoplex drinks to get the same amount of arsenic in one 6 ounce can of tuna.

Someone is trying to soften up the supplement industry with this kind of misinformation so that they can impose increased regulation, as some senators are now trying to introduce.

Last edited:
First of all they compared the max amount to USP standards... Protein powder is not a pharm product. Second the standard is based on micrograms so if it contains 3 times as much arsenic permitted in a pharmaceutical it is still 2 times the microgram scale which is nothing...

True Protein. Nuff said.

From my experience hemp protein is the way to go. All natural stuff. Has all the omega's and then some. Contains all the daily fiber and your body absorbs 80% versus whey, about 20%. Its not heat treated, so it has to be refrigerated. Has no preservatives or additives(which clog your digestive track). IMO BY FAR THE BEST PROTEIN ON THE MARKET!

From my experience hemp protein is the way to go. All natural stuff. Has all the omega's and then some. Contains all the daily fiber and your body absorbs 80% versus whey, about 20%. Its not heat treated, so it has to be refrigerated. Has no preservatives or additives(which clog your digestive track). IMO BY FAR THE BEST PROTEIN ON THE MARKET!

Only 20% absorption from whey? I feel as if you're talking out of your ass here. Maybe you should backup your asinine statements.

were do you get it? all that ive tryd taste like crap...

That consumer reports report was hysterical bunk.

For example,

But arsenic is a natural element present in most foodstuffs. See this table.

**broken link removed**

So for example, a 6 oz can of tuna has about 150 mcg of arsenic. In other words, you have to drink 26 Myoplex drinks to get the same amount of arsenic in one 6 ounce can of tuna.

Someone is trying to soften up the supplement industry with this kind of misinformation so that they can impose increased regulation, as some senators are now trying to introduce.

This response makes sense to me. Hysterical bunk seems about right.

In the business I am in I hear from cutomers every day how they trusted thier bible (consumer reports )and found out the conclusions were incorrect.

2stones

Only 20% absorption from whey? I feel as if you're talking out of your ass here. Maybe you should backup your asinine statements.

X2 Who told you that whey only absorbs 20%? let me guess...the guy selling you the hemp protein?

HA HA !

X2 Who told you that whey only absorbs 20%? let me guess...the guy selling you the hemp protein?

typical sales pitch talk

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael_
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity