over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Protein Uptake

OneLastShot

Newbies
I have read several disertations on protein consumption, but have not been able to answer my question.

I reacall from some research done some time ago that the maximum amount of protein my body (250 pds) could process in three hours was around 50 grams.

Has anyone seen any reasearch indicating that gear increases the amount of protein your body is able to process in a single serving?

protein

Gear will increase your protein synthesis greatly. There is no study that has answered this question definitively though-gear or no gear...

its depends on ones metabolism and many other factors like listed above.

i must have been pretty tired when i wrote that. There were no factors listed above :confused: lol

but i would like to see that research that your talking about with regaurds to only being able to absorb 50 grams per 3 hours. I call bullshit on that. Theres no way they can determine exactly how much gets synthansized to new muscle tissue. But gear does increase protein synthesis but i dont think you can pinpoint it to a set number.

Protein

All you need in your diet is your body weight in protein daily.. If you're 200 lbs you can take 50 grams at 8am, Noon, 4pm, and 8pm and be fine if your more than 200lbs than your intervals will be shorter but I wouldn't consume more than 50 grams in one serving. It's no big deal if you do but your body won't absorb any more than that.

All you need in your diet is your body weight in protein daily.. If you're 200 lbs you can take 50 grams at 8am, Noon, 4pm, and 8pm and be fine if your more than 200lbs than your intervals will be shorter but I wouldn't consume more than 50 grams in one serving. It's no big deal if you do but your body won't absorb any more than that.

Deepsea, where did you get this info from?:confused: If you want to grow protein should be about 1.5 to 2 grams per pound of bodyweight. And your body CAN absorb more than 50 grams of protein at a time. I wish I knew where this 50 grams of protein is the limit stuff came from. If you have this mythical info in a scientific study, I would love to read it.

This info might be ok if you wanted to maintain (not loose)....but if you want to put new muscle on you need to consume as much protien as possible...I aim for around 50 grams every 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on what my schedule allows....i'm 220 and aim for 500 grams a day.....way to go on protien more is always better!!

Uluwatu

I get my information from sources such as Lexis Nexis, Google Scholar, and other accreteted journals. All of them are peer reviewed case studies and very credible sources. Perhaps I was wrong in saying that only taking your body weight is enough, that's just what I do in additional protein supplements (powders/bars). I probably get quite a bit more if you take into consideration the protien I get from meats, poultry and dairy on a daily basis. I do know that I have read about absorption at one period/serving and I know that it is right around 50 grams. I will find the journal I read that in and I will post it on the forum for you to see. Is there anywhere you can show me where it says your body CAN abosorb more than this at one time? If so and if it's an accredited source I would like to see it. Thanks bro.

Last edited:
i to would like to see where you can only absorb 50g at one time. SO what if you eat 55 grams your not going to absorb it? LOL i doubt it. The more muscle you break down the more protein you need for protein synthesis. Its impossible to pinpoint a set number on how much your body with assimulate to new muscle tissue. There are way to many factors involved.

Protein Info

If you take too much protein, say you weigh 150 pounds and take 300 grams of protein a day - your body will not be able to process all the protein into amino acids. What your body can not use will have to be excreted as a waste product. This means your kidney and liver will be doing a lot of work just to get the excess protein out of your body. While this will not cause any major problems over a short period of time - you would not want to be overworking your kidney and liver over the course of several years.

*The latest study from the International Journal of Sports Nutrition
says that people involved in strength training should get 1.6 - 1.7 grams protein per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of bodyweight per day. That is .7 grams per pound. Therefore, a 200 lb man (200 * .7) would need 140 grams of protein. Slightly less than the first formula.

As an estimate we figure that you should consume between .7 - .9 grams of protein per pound of body weight. These numbers vary based on the amount of body fat you have. Women have higher body fat than men, so they should be on the lower end of the scale. Here are some examples:

150 pounds = 105 - 135 grams of protein a day
160 pounds = 112 - 144 grams of protein a day
170 pounds = 119 - 153 grams of protein a day
180 pounds = 126 - 162 grams of protein a day
190 pounds = 133 - 171 grams of protein a day
200 pounds = 140 - 180 grams of protein a day
220 pounds = 154 - 198 grams of protein a day
240 pounds = 168 - 216 grams of protein a day
260 pounds = 182 - 234 grams of protein a day

If you take too much protein, say you weigh 150 pounds and take 300 grams of protein a day - your body will not be able to process all the protein into amino acids. What your body can not use will have to be excreted as a waste product. This means your kidney and liver will be doing a lot of work just to get the excess protein out of your body. While this will not cause any major problems over a short period of time - you would not want to be overworking your kidney and liver over the course of several years.

*The latest study from the International Journal of Sports Nutrition
says that people involved in strength training should get 1.6 - 1.7 grams protein per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of bodyweight per day. That is .7 grams per pound. Therefore, a 200 lb man (200 * .7) would need 140 grams of protein. Slightly less than the first formula.

As an estimate we figure that you should consume between .7 - .9 grams of protein per pound of body weight. These numbers vary based on the amount of body fat you have. Women have higher body fat than men, so they should be on the lower end of the scale. Here are some examples:

150 pounds = 105 - 135 grams of protein a day
160 pounds = 112 - 144 grams of protein a day
170 pounds = 119 - 153 grams of protein a day
180 pounds = 126 - 162 grams of protein a day
190 pounds = 133 - 171 grams of protein a day
200 pounds = 140 - 180 grams of protein a day
220 pounds = 154 - 198 grams of protein a day
240 pounds = 168 - 216 grams of protein a day
260 pounds = 182 - 234 grams of protein a day

This means nothing to me......I've read so many different study's it's crazy.... everyone has a different opinion ---- but if you want to make sure your gaining your max potential growth you want a high protien intake......those numbers I asure you are entirely to low for someone wanting to achieve max growth......experiance and results speaks a lot louder than differing scientific opinions on what would or could be best-------

To accelerate the muscle-building process, increase your daily protein intake to 1 1/2 to 2 grams per pound of bodyweight------ Increasing protein intake helps to enhance protein synthesis while preventing protein breakdown. The net effect is anabolism (gaining quality muscle size) rather than catabolism (getting smaller due to losing muscle mass).

This means nothing to me......I've read so many different study's it's crazy.... everyone has a different opinion ---- but if you want to make sure your gaining your max potential growth you want a high protien intake......those numbers I asure you are entirely to low for someone wanting to achieve max growth......experiance and results speaks a lot louder than differing scientific opinions on what would or could be best-------

To accelerate the muscle-building process, increase your daily protein intake to 1 1/2 to 2 grams per pound of bodyweight------ Increasing protein intake helps to enhance protein synthesis while preventing protein breakdown. The net effect is anabolism (gaining quality muscle size) rather than catabolism (getting smaller due to losing muscle mass).

I agree with you bro. There are a shit load of studies out there and I do understand that actions speak louder than words but then again I'm not a doctor. I don't claim to be a doctor. And I do know that certain things in excess can be harmful to the human body including protein. My opinion is only one. I'm not saying it's right but it's mine.

i doubt you could put on any amount of mass eating .7 grams per pound

personally i always get 2 per pound and have never had any problems with my kidneys or liver. Those studies look good when they do them but in the real world its a whole different ball game.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131