over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Proteinshakes. Do you really need them

Geoffke

Banned
The last week I notice I can't eat much. I'm bloated al the time.
I think it's the shakes making me sick.

I think this is an interisting article:

The alternative to protein supplementation is to get your protein from real foods only. The irony is that almost all top (and I place the word ‘top’ here purposefully) natural bodybuilding and fitness related competitors start their regime to get into peak conditioning by dropping protein supplements from their diets and relying solely on solid foods. They do so to take advantage of the thermic effect offered by solid protein intakes and because experience has shown that consumption of protein supplements tends to create a somewhat bloated appearance. That being said, my epiphany came after years of using protein supplements in the off season and then cutting them out before contest or photo shoots. I realized that if I looked my best, and was at my absolute strongest when I wasn’t using protein shakes in the pre-contest phase, why should I go back to using them in the off-season. And so I stopped, reluctantly at first, but in time I realized that I was making the same consistent gains in strength, muscle mass and overall conditioning as when I was consuming protein shakes on a daily basis. It meant that I had to pay more attention to my food intake and eat more than I originally did, but in the end, it is that very transition that I credit for my current level of year round conditioning. Not only do I not have the bloated appearance from protein supplement consumption, but I also feel better. My stomach feels much better than it has in decades and my energy levels are significantly improved.
So the bottom line is that without protein supplements, you can actually look and feel much better,

___

I love to eat tons of red meat etc. Can I leave the shakes out?

Need some input

I've been doing a dozen raw jumbo eggs a day for about two months now, and haven't had a pretein shake since I started.

All I notice is less bloat and no upset stomach, really.

Probably would be a good idea post WO still, but I do a couple eggs then, too :D

Well theres definitely different brands and levels of quality so I cant simply say protein is protein but comparing an equal level of quality I dont think it matters if it comes from a whey isolate or a real food.

Theres always that push that "real" food is better / higher in quality which simply is not true. There was a study posted on the boards here (I cant recall the title) that was interesting where they were trying to prove one as better then the other but both had near identical results.

Whether food or a shake, both cases you need to make sure your getting a good quality. Past that I think it becomes a matter of convience and personal preference. Food will leave you feeling fuller but is more of a hassle to prep and accurately account for when watching all intake. A shake I find is simple to count for but doesnt necessarly leave me satisified if Im hungry and they shake is plain (not mixed with other foods).

I take shakes pre workout and 1 meal at work since my break is short.Maybe even post workout but a shake is whey isolate.

I've learned from past experiences that the only time I take a protein shake versus solid form protein ie egg whites etc is when I'm on the go or don't have time for some chicken breasts or eggs. Cuts down on the protein farts drastically

I've almost completely stopped all protein shakes and results have been good. Only exception is sometimes if i can't get straight home from the gym i will buy a post workout carb/protein sachet from gym. Usually just go home have a larger sweet potato, with peanut buttet, cheese, tin of backed beans, 4 poached eggs, a large chicken breast, a banana and an orange. That's about 100 protein, 2000 calories. I then sleep it off for a few hours and recover is 10 times what a bit of whey and dextrose is for me. In short whole foods and lots of it. I have 4 large chicken breast every day and 8 eggs. I know then protein is taken care off. I only split it over 2 or 3 meals too and it works just as well blowing the 30g of protein in one sitting theory out of the water

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Simple: NO, 99% are absolute garbage wit a shit load of fillers. When I do have one it's a hydroisolate around my workout cuz it digest super fast

I used to rely heavily on shakes, but not anymore. I have dropped them almost completely, sometimes just one scoop in my morning vitamix blend of vegetables.
Doing this nearly eliminated bloating, gas, and any other stomach discomfort. I am hungry more often, and I think my energy levels are better.

Geoffke, have you been using the same kind of protein for a while now?

I noticed that if I use the same protein for about two months, say going through about 10-12 pounds on the same mix, then I start to develop an intolerance and tend to get bloated and have some stomach issues.

For example, I may use a Whey Concentrate and WPI Cold Filtration for a while, then switch to WPI Cold Filtration, Egg white protein and Micellar Casein...True Nutrition makes it pretty easy to get a variety of blends.

Nah, you don't need it. Though shakes are convenient and cost effective. As long as the protein comes from some clean-ish source, it'll be fine.

My solution to the shake problem has been Egg albumin. Disgusting at first, but I've never had better strength gains and so little bloat

In 20 years, I haven't found a whey protein that works better than a bad steak. Whey just bloats me, keep me fat, even on a diet. Egg protein and BCAA's have been the best thus far.

Someday when Pea Protein arrives in Europe, Ill try it. It'll probably be here around the same time "The Beatles" arrive. :banghead:

I have never felt bloated and water down from using SynthePURE like I have from so many other protein shakes over the years...Just one more reason why I do not use any other now-a-days:headbang:

I stop taking shakes & find that I don't bloat.
My recover has not change & neither has my strength.

U don't need it.

Geoffke, have you been using the same kind of protein for a while now?

I noticed that if I use the same protein for about two months, say going through about 10-12 pounds on the same mix, then I start to develop an intolerance and tend to get bloated and have some stomach issues.

For example, I may use a Whey Concentrate and WPI Cold Filtration for a while, then switch to WPI Cold Filtration, Egg white protein and Micellar Casein...True Nutrition makes it pretty easy to get a variety of blends.

I'm allergic to lactose. I tried many many so called zero lactose wheyprotein.
They all make me sick.
So I take the soy protein from optimum nutrition. I've had no problems for months. But now I notice when I don't drink the shakes I'm much more hungry.
I'm on 1g test and 1g equipose.

Thanks for all the advice guys
greetings from belgium

Except for a few isolated instances (not having anything else at hand, or finances being tight and getting it for free) I stopped using whey powders in May of 2010 and switched to HumaPro.

I'm not going to debate anyone about HP vs. whey, that's not my point. What I will say, however, is that last month I got sick and could only stomach liquids, so I subsisted on whey powder (Mom, not knowing I don't use it, gave me a tub when I went home for my birthday in January). And in addition to feeling like hell, within a week of using this stuff, I was bloated and irregular.

Even after getting better, I decided to knock the rest of the whey out (it tastes good!) and continued to feel quite gastrointestinally out of sorts. I figured out it was the whey, eliminated it and within 3 days, I was back to normal.

I'll not use it again.

If I'm not eating food, I'll be using HumaPro from now on...no exceptions.

This is something I agree with, but don't follow.

I know I enjoy my protein shakes and feel they put less stress on my digestion.

Over use of milk proteins isn't healthy at all though imo.

I'm allergic to lactose. I tried many many so called zero lactose wheyprotein.
They all make me sick.
So I take the soy protein from optimum nutrition. I've had no problems for months. But now I notice when I don't drink the shakes I'm much more hungry.
I'm on 1g test and 1g equipose.

Thanks for all the advice guys
greetings from belgium

OUCH! Yeah, that would be do in pretty good. How about EAAs? Roughly 10g of EAAs can be used for 40g of whole food protein (due to digestion required and amino acid content) or, not accounting for digestion, 23g of Whey Isolate (analysis using True Nutrition WPI Cold Filtration) based on amino acid content.

So if you use EAAs, bascially you are going to get the same amino acid content but have less kcals. Which may help you stay leaner while adding size. Or in the case of dieting, allow you to consume less kcals without losing muscle.

It's simple.. Get your protein from whole food sources and if in a pinch and need to use powder then so be it.

Ive never understood the obsessive all or nothing approach of bodybuilders.

"I AM EITHER GOING TO HAVE ALL OR NONE! THATS GOT TO BE THE SECRET"

If they do buy supplements they pinch pennies and buy the absolutely cheapest one there is knowing full well that if its sounds too good to be true it most likely is. If you buy 100% Whey made by a company that sounds like its made in the USA at a big name grocery store for 19 bucks for 5 pounds, take it to the bank that you probably are the bigger fool for buying a bunch of sawdust and powdered milk for 19 bucks for 5 pounds.

Because I can go spend pennies and eat "bottom choice" grizzled fat laden red meat 6 times a day but am i doing myself any kind of benefit doing that? I order the filet mignon or prime rib when i go out to eat...do you guys order the grizzle medium rare?

Would anyone ever get an all or nothing approach to fats and carbs? "no thank you frank, no white/brown rice for me, I have to stick with my swedish oat starch or karboload approach and drink this stuff"

How bout this incredibly novel idea? Use supplements like most even keeled bodybuilders do. Eat whole foods all day long whenever you can and when you are in a rush or post workout and need something fast use supplements that have legitimate ingredients and have been proven to work with your own unique body (lactose intolerant, vegan etc).....because if you just got done a leg workout and need to get to a meeting....what is truly better?

a) Damn no time to make a meal, guess im going to have to wait 3 hours till after the meeting
or
b) Take in some amino acids or a quick protien drink while flying out the door.

Whats better last thing at night and you are so tired you can hardly keep your eyes open

a) Skip the cottage cheese containor that you regularly eat but takes 15 mins to eat and just go to bed
or
b) Take down a quick micellar/egg protein shake in 30 seconds and go to bed.

Ive never gotten the all or nothing approach bodybuilders have.

Last edited:
It's simple.. Get your protein from whole food sources and if in a pinch and need to use powder then so be it.

Best and simplest answer here this thread shouldn't have to go any further now than this simple statement above :D

The last week I notice I can't eat much. I'm bloated al the time.
I think it's the shakes making me sick.

I think this is an interisting article:

The alternative to protein supplementation is to get your protein from real foods only. The irony is that almost all top (and I place the word ‘top’ here purposefully) natural bodybuilding and fitness related competitors start their regime to get into peak conditioning by dropping protein supplements from their diets and relying solely on solid foods. They do so to take advantage of the thermic effect offered by solid protein intakes and because experience has shown that consumption of protein supplements tends to create a somewhat bloated appearance. That being said, my epiphany came after years of using protein supplements in the off season and then cutting them out before contest or photo shoots. I realized that if I looked my best, and was at my absolute strongest when I wasn’t using protein shakes in the pre-contest phase, why should I go back to using them in the off-season. And so I stopped, reluctantly at first, but in time I realized that I was making the same consistent gains in strength, muscle mass and overall conditioning as when I was consuming protein shakes on a daily basis. It meant that I had to pay more attention to my food intake and eat more than I originally did, but in the end, it is that very transition that I credit for my current level of year round conditioning. Not only do I not have the bloated appearance from protein supplement consumption, but I also feel better. My stomach feels much better than it has in decades and my energy levels are significantly improved.
So the bottom line is that without protein supplements, you can actually look and feel much better,

___

I love to eat tons of red meat etc. Can I leave the shakes out?

Need some input

I have survived on shakes for so long that I now can't tolerate many per day as they make me want to throw up. I think all food meals is best and always have but shakes are easy. Right now I am getting 3-4 food meals in and 3-4 shakes. Alternate protein sources as frequently as possible...chicken breast, turkey breast, fish, beef, eggs. Drop the shakes if they aren't agreeing with you. It's a pain in the butt to have to cook so many meals, but I bet you will respond better and feel more healthy.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear