over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Pulled muscle too frequently

Pbfanatic321

Registered
Alright guys so I think I am pulling muscles in my back wayyy too frequently. Whether it is a small impingement or a pretty intense pull, I probably encounter one 5 times a year. I don't stretch as much as I need to, but when is the BEST time to stretch, before or after training?

I foam roll my back before every workout for about five minutes. I also get massages maybe 4 times a year (I know getting more would be very beneficial and I am trying to do that). I do 2-3 warmup sets before I start any workout and stretch out quickly.

Is anyone in the same boat as me and gets a pulled muscle so frequently?

What do you guys to do stay on top of it and prevent strains?

Last edited:
Just stretching and lots of water. Before and after work out. Rolling does well at getting rid of lactic acid but it's not the same as stretching out. Not just your back but stretch everything from the ground up. To loosen your back you need to stretch your hams/calves and core. IMHO

What are you typically doing when it happens(can it be isolated to certain movements?) ? Where exactly is it geographically?

Many times it's so much the muscle you're "pulling" but opposing, and adjacent muscles/tissue.

More info might help formulate how to best attack your situation.

Last edited:
I literally feel your pain. My fledgling baseball career was cut short due to chronic leg strains. Couldn't get through 10 games without a hammy, quad, groin, or calf muscle pulling on me. What I do know in my research on this is that static stretching does nothing in preventing muscle pulls. Dynamic stretches and magnesium supplementation show promise in studies as being helpful.

What are you typically doing when it happens(can it be isolated to certain movements?) ? Where exactly is it geographically?

answer this

My lower trap get a bad strain about 3x a year. Usually due to over training. U might have a bigger issue than what I have though

Many times it's so much the muscle you're "pulling" but opposing, and adjacent muscles/tissue.

More info might help formulate how to best attack your situation.

I was doing shoulder press on the smith machine, racked the weight, and went to stand up off the bench and that's when it happened. Honestly, majority of the time, it happens when I am not even working out or in the middle of a movement.

This time, and most of the time, its the middle of my back. Along the spinal erectors and to the right a bit (happened on the right side of my back).

Thanks everyone.

And I do drink enough water too, 1.5-2 gallons a day.

Yeah I know exactly what happened to you.
Random q: does it also happen to you on pullups?

Hydration a big one Imo. I've never done a stretch in my life other than yarning. Im not saying don't stretch before I get flamed lol just that I've never have and I never pull muscles. One rule I live by is I don't train until im pissing and pissing clear

Last edited:
Not sure if you are actually pulling a muscle or if it is seizing/cramping into a Charlie horse. I used to get these in the same spot because I was tensing up during the lift. Right when I let go of the weight, it would release (I guess) and hurt. Mine stopped when I started using straps for pulling movements. I think I was tensing up because worried about grip.

Sounds like you have a perpetual rib out of place. Have your budddy give you a bear hug, or yank you up in a headlock, similar to what a chiropractor would do.
Don't take this lightly, it the main cause of thoracic spasms in my 25 yrs experience.

Have you taken Cipro, levoquine or another similar type antibiotic in the past?

"pulled muscle" is kind of vague.

Most of the time a "pulled" muscle may refer too a tear in the tendon either at

1. the junction of tendon to bone
2. tendon-to-tendon
3. tendon to muscle

A "tear" could either be an actual tear of the tendon that would result in pain, tightness, or inflammation

or a "tear" like feeling brought on by overuse, where no inflammation would normally be present.

Most likely it is a real tear that would signal a pathology, a breakdown i the proper function of the tendon environment.

Supplements for tendons/strains

Glucosamine chondroitin Increases tendon, ligament, and cartilage cell production/proliferation.

Alpha lipoic acid Reduces tendon eating MMP enzymes.

Bromealin Increases tendon cell proliferation and migration.
Grape seed extract Protects tendons.
Curcumin/C3 Helps to reduce inflammation and also lowers catabolic, tendon eating enzymes called MMP.
MSM May help facilitate collagen production and strengthen tendon ECM(extra cellular matrix)

Fair use
"Follistatin, Myostatin, and Muscle Growth: Muscular Dystrophy and Athletics"

Warm up sets. Lots of warm up sets.

I believe static stretching isn't good before but dynamic is.

Water,water,water.

Alright guys so I think I am pulling muscles in my back wayyy too frequently. Whether it is a small impingement or a pretty intense pull, I probably encounter one 5 times a year. I don't stretch as much as I need to, but when is the BEST time to stretch, before or after training?

I foam roll my back before every workout for about five minutes. I also get massages maybe 4 times a year (I know getting more would be very beneficial and I am trying to do that). I do 2-3 warmup sets before I start any workout and stretch out quickly.

Is anyone in the same boat as me and gets a pulled muscle so frequently?

What do you guys to do stay on top of it and prevent strains?

you should warm up before and stretch after.

you are pulling muscles so much cause you are working a cold muscle or you are stretching before and pulling them during your workout

2. tendon-to-tendon
3. tendon to muscle

A "tear" could either be an actual tear of the tendon that would result in pain, tightness, or inflammation

or a "tear" like feeling brought on by overuse, where no inflammation would normally be present.

Most likely it is a real tear that would signal a pathology, a breakdown i the proper function of the tendon environment.

Glucosamine chondroitin Increases tendon, ligament, and cartilage cell production/proliferation.

Curcumin/C3 Helps to reduce inflammation and also lowers catabolic, tendon eating enzymes called MMP.
MSM May help facilitate collagen production and strengthen tendon ECM(extra cellular matrix)

Fair use

This is very well said and very accurate... Nice post man...

Stretching is something FAR too often overlooked and not taken seriously... Every year, even in our 20's, we are more and more susceptible to injury... It's inevitable that we are more at risk and stretching and getting muscles, ligaments, tendons, etc. warm and ready before any sort of strenuous activity is imperative for injury reduction and prevention... Yoga is extremely helpful for many athletes as well... Not only is it great for prevention but helps with muscle and core development as well as easing of the mind, which is important because that has an effect on cortisol as well.. it all goes hand in hand man... Also, i would head to either a sports medicine clinic or chiropractor and see if you are out of place as it sounds you may be... I have had this issue for over 15 years and it is no fun but it needs to be addressed... you are only enhancing the problem by not having it addressed or checked... get it checked to be sure...

Water and stretching, I forget about hydration sometimes. Know I carry a jug around with me...

Stretching should be done after training in my opinion. Plenty of warm up sets, working up to your working sets starting with lighter weight and progressively getting heavier should help prevent injury. Also pay strict attention to proper form.

Your back injuries are likely due to a weakness elsewhere. Hips would be my first guess. If your glutes, flexors, adductors, etc aren't working the way they should, your back could be taking the stress that they aren't. Just an idea. For me, old ankle problems affect my hips quite a bit.

Yeah I know exactly what happened to you.
Random q: does it also happen to you on pullups?

I don't do pull ups very much but I don't think I've ever "pulled" this spot doing a pull up. Like I said, most of the time it happens when im not even working out. I remember one time I was walking around the house and it just cramped up and took a few days to recover. Also, now when I try to look down and to the left (the right side of my back hurts) I can hardly look down and the movement of my head downward causes tension on that back muscle. I can't even look down and to the left, although it is healing now.

What do you think it is?
Not sure if you are actually pulling a muscle or if it is seizing/cramping into a Charlie horse. I used to get these in the same spot because I was tensing up during the lift. Right when I let go of the weight, it would release (I guess) and hurt. Mine stopped when I started using straps for pulling movements. I think I was tensing up because worried about grip.

You may be right. I think the muscle cramps up but ends up staying like that for too long which takes a long time to heal.

2. tendon-to-tendon
3. tendon to muscle

Fair use

It's definitely not a tear but I will look into those sups.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members