over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Pulled muscle too frequently

Have you taken Cipro, levoquine or another similar type antibiotic in the past?

"pulled muscle" is kind of vague.

Most of the time a "pulled" muscle may refer too a tear in the tendon either at

1. the junction of tendon to bone
2. tendon-to-tendon
3. tendon to muscle

A "tear" could either be an actual tear of the tendon that would result in pain, tightness, or inflammation

or a "tear" like feeling brought on by overuse, where no inflammation would normally be present.

Most likely it is a real tear that would signal a pathology, a breakdown i the proper function of the tendon environment.

Supplements for tendons/strains

Glucosamine chondroitin Increases tendon, ligament, and cartilage cell production/proliferation.

Alpha lipoic acid Reduces tendon eating MMP enzymes.

Bromealin Increases tendon cell proliferation and migration.
Grape seed extract Protects tendons.
Curcumin/C3 Helps to reduce inflammation and also lowers catabolic, tendon eating enzymes called MMP.
MSM May help facilitate collagen production and strengthen tendon ECM(extra cellular matrix)

Fair use
"Follistatin, Myostatin, and Muscle Growth: Muscular Dystrophy and Athletics"

How often would you recommend taking glucosamine?

"I was doing shoulder press on the smith machine, racked the weight, and went to stand up off the bench and that's when it happened. Honestly, majority of the time, it happens when I am not even working out or in the middle of a movement.

This time, and most of the time, its the middle of my back. Along the spinal erectors and to the right a bit (happened on the right side of my back)."

You might have poor mobility in the thoracic spine. Are you using the seated Smith press because it is difficult for you to do a standing barbell or dumbbell press? The seated Smith is then forcing you into a ROM your body is not ready for.

There are some simple drills that help fix this. Lots of stuff on you tube or t-mag.com etc

http://www.physiospot.com/opinion/my-top-3-thoracic-spine-mobility-exercises/

I had the same problem as you, and have gotten around it by doing the mobility drills and standing, not sitting on the presses.

sounds like you are describing the rhomboid muscle area

common hot spot for spasms
which it sounds like it is, not a cramp

displaced rib can also be the culprit which someone stated

hydration
sodium/potassium balance
calcium/magnesium balance (often overlooked)---my guess

rhomboid going into a spasm on a trigger point. not releasing
also you may not be forcing it to release so it may take 10-14 days to fully go away on its own

trigger point, art, myofascial release, foam roller or a simple friends elbow in the spot can make all the difference to speed healing

try this if you have someone who can help

lay off your bed/bench/ couch etc so your head is hanging off and your arms are off with your hands towards the floor.
tuck your chin slightly and rest it up against whatever you are lying off of
have the person find your scapula, then find your vertibrae a couple inches to the left.
in between should (maybe, i am guessing) be that hot spot. have them put direct pressure, as much as you can handle, for about 90 seconds

after that continue pressure while trying to elongate though the spasm since the muscle may no longer be able to voluntarily release. the spasm it is a protective measure your body has taken to guard against further injury, so it may need to be persuaded in an aggressive manner. (it will prob be very painful )

One other note is to make sure you give the other side some attention because some of the problem may be referred pain from some scapular instability on the other side where the accute pain is not. you may find some discomfort and crunchy spasm knotty mess over there as well, it just might be deeper and not as nagging as the right side

"I was doing shoulder press on the smith machine, racked the weight, and went to stand up off the bench and that's when it happened. Honestly, majority of the time, it happens when I am not even working out or in the middle of a movement.

This time, and most of the time, its the middle of my back. Along the spinal erectors and to the right a bit (happened on the right side of my back)."

You might have poor mobility in the thoracic spine. Are you using the seated Smith press because it is difficult for you to do a standing barbell or dumbbell press? The seated Smith is then forcing you into a ROM your body is not ready for.

There are some simple drills that help fix this. Lots of stuff on you tube or t-mag.com etc

http://www.physiospot.com/opinion/my-top-3-thoracic-spine-mobility-exercises/

I had the same problem as you, and have gotten around it by doing the mobility drills and standing, not sitting on the presses.

I will try those movements out. No, I do seated smith machine presses because I prefer them. I don't do any standing presses, I don't see the point in them. I can agree that I am not very flexible at all. When doing movement I have good ROM but just standing around I am NOT flexible.

sounds like you are describing the rhomboid muscle area

common hot spot for spasms
which it sounds like it is, not a cramp

displaced rib can also be the culprit which someone stated

hydration
sodium/potassium balance
calcium/magnesium balance (often overlooked)---my guess

rhomboid going into a spasm on a trigger point. not releasing
also you may not be forcing it to release so it may take 10-14 days to fully go away on its own

trigger point, art, myofascial release, foam roller or a simple friends elbow in the spot can make all the difference to speed healing

try this if you have someone who can help

lay off your bed/bench/ couch etc so your head is hanging off and your arms are off with your hands towards the floor.
tuck your chin slightly and rest it up against whatever you are lying off of
have the person find your scapula, then find your vertibrae a couple inches to the left.
in between should (maybe, i am guessing) be that hot spot. have them put direct pressure, as much as you can handle, for about 90 seconds

after that continue pressure while trying to elongate though the spasm since the muscle may no longer be able to voluntarily release. the spasm it is a protective measure your body has taken to guard against further injury, so it may need to be persuaded in an aggressive manner. (it will prob be very painful )

One other note is to make sure you give the other side some attention because some of the problem may be referred pain from some scapular instability on the other side where the accute pain is not. you may find some discomfort and crunchy spasm knotty mess over there as well, it just might be deeper and not as nagging as the right side

Yup, it's my rhomboid. I forgot the name of it at first. And yes, it's definitely a spasm. It's been five days, and although it is getting better, still not fully recovered. Have not been to the gym, still too much pain to try and train.

That location you mentioned is exactly where it is. I have been foam rolling and it doesn't help much. I'll have a family member use their elbow and apply some pressure on it. Also, if it isn't unbearable, I'll try and lacrosse ball too!

I just need to know WHY this is happening so frequently. Lack of ROM and flexibility?

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131