over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Pullups/Dips compared to heavy weighted exercises

MADDmuscle

Registered
How do you guys feel about wide grip pull ups and dips at high reps.. compared to your cable push downs or your rows.. or other heavy weight workouts. What reps would you run? just wana hear some ideas.

why

why not weighted pullups and dips? Instead of repping out, strap 25-100lbs around your waist, then rep it out then?

How do you guys feel about wide grip pull ups and dips at high reps.. compared to your cable push downs or your rows.. or other heavy weight workouts. What reps would you run? just wana hear some ideas.

It depends on your goals, I do both with body weight, but I have a goal to do as many as I can at body weight. I do this parallel with a low rep routine, but not integrated with it. If I focus on endurance and do circuit training I will always do these if training back or chest. You wouldn't do these with a goal to gain mass or maximal strength though.

Pullups are one exercise I've never been able to do weighted -- difficult enough as it is to do perfect form from a dead hang for 8-10 reps.

A variation I've done with some success in pullups is to pick a total number of reps, and then take as many sets as necessary to do them. So for example: 30 reps of pullups. The sets might look like: 8, 7, 5, 5, 3, 2 => total of 30.

Next time I try to do the same amount of reps in fewer sets, until I can get them all done in 3 sets. Then I aim for 35 or 40 reps. Etc....

Another way to hit them is to do different variations at the end of every workout (if this is a lagging part). So at the end of legs, do some close-grip pullups. At the end of chest/arms day, do some chinups, to emphasize biceps. Etc. A set or two is enough, and did a lot for me for my true "back days"

Last edited:
look at some of the top gymnasts...not huge but excellent physiques. bodyweight training all day long.

if you want mass go weighted...if you want sick pullup endurance go with bodyweight!

Never tried weighted pull ups.. weighted dips i do happen to like.. although seems to be very painful on the forearms.. I like the set goal of reps I was doing 200 at 20 sets of 10.. and it just seemed tiring.. and strung out.. Liked the pump I would get.. but still didn't seem to pack on that heavy muscle like you would want.. But as you said, it's not going to give you maximum strength or muscle gain.. just an overall good lift.

My opinions...

1- Any movement in which your body is moving through space rather than the weight moving through space with your body remaining stationary... is better. EX: chins will always be better than pulldowns.

2- Weighted chins and dips are fantastic muscle builders. They don't shape or give any illusion of any kind. They are simply efficient strength builders much more so than cable pushdowns or cable rows.

3- Reps are important, but not very important. There are 250lb super lean bodybuilders on this board. Some lift in the 5-8 range, the 10-15 range, the 15-20 range, etc. When it comes down to it, the payoff only comes when your food, rest, and healthy supplementation are in check COUPLED with consistantly trying to beat your logbook. Most of the huge guys on this board who win shows are brutally strong and are the most consistant. Look at Shelby Starnes, Dusty Hanshaw, Phil Hernon, Homonunculus, Brad Davis, Mountaindog, etc.

I think when pull ups and dips become your heavy weight exercises, then you know you are getting somewhere.

Thanks for that Big Dave my next ? was going to be if you guys thought pulldowns were just as effective.. I believe i'll start doing the weighted pullups for mass.. As you said it may not give you everything your looking for but I'm sure it'll definitly improve shape.

Thanks for that Big Dave my next ? was going to be if you guys thought pulldowns were just as effective.. I believe i'll start doing the weighted pullups for mass.. As you said it may not give you everything your looking for but I'm sure it'll definitly improve shape.

Your shape was given to you by your mom and dad (or God if you believe in that). Your muscle (and fat) cells can only get larger or smaller. Chins and dips are the most effective because they are most efficient (for most body types) at recruiting the most muscle fiber in the desired muscles you're training.

Of course I know about the genetics.. what would you say is the best exercise for building big mass in each area. Which i know varies from person to person.

Chest-Incline bench
Shoulder-Arnold Press
Back-Bent Over Rows
Legs-squat
Triceps-Close Grip bench Press
Bicep-EZ bar Preacher Curl

my next ? was going to be if you guys thought pulldowns were just as effective..

No way. I thought I was getting places using almost the whole stack with pulldowns, and then tried pullups and was put to shame. It takes a while, but is a killer back developer. Like guys have said, once you start doing weighted pullups and can hold yourself up, start from dead hangs, and any of the other variations -- using a rope, even one handed ones -- your back will obviously show it in thickness AND width.

I also believe eccentric training is important, so try to avoid the pullup "assist" machines and don't drop into the bottom position when doing normal pullups (also easy to damage your shoulders that way, from personal experience).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
BL
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity