over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Push pull legs training

juggy38

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
So I been doing bro split since I started my bodybuilding journey and love it but I want to try something new this off season. Started at 140 to 230lbs in 10 years

So i want to switch to a different type of training:

Push/pull/arms/legs/push/pull
One week
Push/pull/legs/push/pull/legs
Week 2
Alternating

For those who switched to hitting muscle group twice a week,
how do you like it?
is your volume high or do you prefer higher intensity? Or both?

Most importantly how’s your recovery?

I am the PPL pro. You can modify it for whatever you need. But I’d recommend this if you want to do Arms.

Pull, push, legs, arms, off….PPAL….your not giving the biceps and triceps time to rest after back and chest day. Do legs, then hit them day 4.

Also pull, push, legs is better than push pull legs. Having back and legs away gives your back time to rest. On leg day your erectors and mid back work to support the spine, then if your hip hinging, even more back load.

And honestly, if you need more arm
Work on PPL…which most will, (I did) an easy modification to attack arms is this….

1)Biceps leading the session….chest/mid delts

2)legs

3)triceps lead session…..back/rear delt

4)off.

Shoulders suck?

1)shoulder lead….chest/tricep
2)legs
3) shoulder touch up….back/bicep.
Off.

Hams suck?

Back/hams
Push
Quads, ham touchup, biceps
Off

And a few points…..most of the literature on hypertrophy show that in a session, there is quite a big drop off in stimulus after 6-8 sets. Not that more doesn’t help, but think like the first 4 sets are 3 pointers, the next 4 sets are two pointers, and Sets beyond 8 are free throws. So if you want to do 24 sets of quads a week to specialize for 8 weeks, you’ll get more “hypertrophic points” doing 8 sets MWF than 12 sets M/TH. And this is isn’t like HUGE differences, but it is statistically significant in the papers. Significant in real life?…..well, maybe.

Also if your gonna run 3 on 1 off, you need to tone down the middle session or session 3 will be shit. PPL is a very demanding split. Do y’all have some of John meadows programs? Y’all see those “pump” sessions for the 2nd session of the week? Using higher reps, supersets, cables, dumbells, staying away from the barbell slag that day.

Example:
Push/slag day…hammer press/incline barbell, barbell OHP, weighted dips.

Push pump- Dumbell bench/peck deck, cable shoulder lateral/y-raise, push downs, cable oh extensions.

Pull-pump
Push-heavy
Legs-pump
Off
Pull-heavy
Push-pump
Legs-heavy
Off

juggy38

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Topset+ backoff works well for PPL just because you need a few variety to hit the large muscles. Flat chest press (2 sets) incline DB (2 sets) high-low cable (2 sets)…and it’s honestly more like 3 working sets…thst last feeder set before your top set is gonna give a little stimulus.

Flex500

Registered
I am the PPL pro. You can modify it for whatever you need. But I’d recommend this if you want to do Arms.

Pull, push, legs, arms, off….PPAL….your not giving the biceps and triceps time to rest after back and chest day. Do legs, then hit them day 4.

Also pull, push, legs is better than push pull legs. Having back and legs away gives your back time to rest. On leg day your erectors and mid back work to support the spine, then if your hip hinging, even more back load.

And honestly, if you need more arm
Work on PPL…which most will, (I did) an easy modification to attack arms is this….

1)Biceps leading the session….chest/mid delts

2)legs

3)triceps lead session…..back/rear delt

4)off.

Shoulders suck?

1)shoulder lead….chest/tricep
2)legs
3) shoulder touch up….back/bicep.
Off.

Hams suck?

Back/hams
Push
Quads, ham touchup, biceps
Off

And a few points…..most of the literature on hypertrophy show that in a session, there is quite a big drop off in stimulus after 6-8 sets. Not that more doesn’t help, but think like the first 4 sets are 3 pointers, the next 4 sets are two pointers, and Sets beyond 8 are free throws. So if you want to do 24 sets of quads a week to specialize for 8 weeks, you’ll get more “hypertrophic points” doing 8 sets MWF than 12 sets M/TH. And this is isn’t like HUGE differences, but it is statistically significant in the papers. Significant in real life?…..well, maybe.

Also if your gonna run 3 on 1 off, you need to tone down the middle session or session 3 will be shit. PPL is a very demanding split. Do y’all have some of John meadows programs? Y’all see those “pump” sessions for the 2nd session of the week? Using higher reps, supersets, cables, dumbells, staying away from the barbell slag that day.

Example:
Push/slag day…hammer press/incline barbell, barbell OHP, weighted dips.

Push pump- Dumbell bench/peck deck, cable shoulder lateral/y-raise, push downs, cable oh extensions.

Pull-pump
Push-heavy
Legs-pump
Off
Pull-heavy
Push-pump
Legs-heavy
Off

Right on. In fact John Meadows splits are largely spin offs of PPL. I have always done like you....pull push legs. It fits well too if you need a little extra leg work I'll throw in hams with the pull day and even some front squats (as those fit well with deads anyway).

My pull day now has even turned into squat/dead/back day...almost a posterior + some quads day. Push stays pretty self explanatory and then legs.

The biggest issue I have is I do travel a lot for work so I often can only train 3 days a week. My legs and back get hit twice (to some degree) on the pull and legs day (I often throw in bb rows to leg day) but my chest/shoulders/tris only get hit once. Most people train more than 3 times a week so not a big issue.

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I'm not w huge Athlean x fan because imo he complicates training with bands tries to reinvent the wheel but this is a good video comparing the different splits and how they allow you to manipulate volume and frequency.

Tallandsmal

Registered
I've been training legs/push/off/pull/off/repeat for a long time. Works amazing for me but due to switch in career and therefore training in 2 different gyms I'm now gonna switch to off/push/legs/off/push/off/pull/repeat.

One push will be a little more delt dominant, the other chest. Both will include 2 or 3 sets of lat work as pushing with pumped lats gives me a lot more stability plus I need a wider back. The leg day will start with 3 sets hamstring curls, rest will be about 6 sets of quads. Pull will start with 2 sets of curls and 1 set of RDL and some heavy rows, at the end do a bit of lats.

Volume won't be very high but my legs have a hard time recovering since I walk like 20k steps each day and I really need the rest now that I'm surpassing previous all time strength numbers.

juggy38

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I've been training legs/push/off/pull/off/repeat for a long time. Works amazing for me but due to switch in career and therefore training in 2 different gyms I'm now gonna switch to off/push/legs/off/push/off/pull/repeat.

One push will be a little more delt dominant, the other chest. Both will include 2 or 3 sets of lat work as pushing with pumped lats gives me a lot more stability plus I need a wider back. The leg day will start with 3 sets hamstring curls, rest will be about 6 sets of quads. Pull will start with 2 sets of curls and 1 set of RDL and some heavy rows, at the end do a bit of lats.

Volume won't be very high but my legs have a hard time recovering since I walk like 20k steps each day and I really need the rest now that I'm surpassing previous all time strength numbers.

Jordan peters and the UK gang also like the push/legs/off/pull/off

^^thst really let’s you go apeshit on deadlift/SLDL/rack pulls and won’t hamper training.

Trashed hamstrings+lower back+upper back really makes ANY lifting the next day hard

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatball112233