over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Push pull legs training

So I been doing bro split since I started my bodybuilding journey and love it but I want to try something new this off season. Started at 140 to 230lbs in 10 years

So i want to switch to a different type of training:

Push/pull/arms/legs/push/pull
One week
Push/pull/legs/push/pull/legs
Week 2
Alternating

For those who switched to hitting muscle group twice a week,
how do you like it?
is your volume high or do you prefer higher intensity? Or both?

Most importantly how’s your recovery?

I am the PPL pro. You can modify it for whatever you need. But I’d recommend this if you want to do Arms.

Pull, push, legs, arms, off….PPAL….your not giving the biceps and triceps time to rest after back and chest day. Do legs, then hit them day 4.

Also pull, push, legs is better than push pull legs. Having back and legs away gives your back time to rest. On leg day your erectors and mid back work to support the spine, then if your hip hinging, even more back load.

And honestly, if you need more arm
Work on PPL…which most will, (I did) an easy modification to attack arms is this….

1)Biceps leading the session….chest/mid delts

2)legs

3)triceps lead session…..back/rear delt

4)off.

Shoulders suck?

1)shoulder lead….chest/tricep
2)legs
3) shoulder touch up….back/bicep.
Off.

Hams suck?

Back/hams
Push
Quads, ham touchup, biceps
Off

And a few points…..most of the literature on hypertrophy show that in a session, there is quite a big drop off in stimulus after 6-8 sets. Not that more doesn’t help, but think like the first 4 sets are 3 pointers, the next 4 sets are two pointers, and Sets beyond 8 are free throws. So if you want to do 24 sets of quads a week to specialize for 8 weeks, you’ll get more “hypertrophic points” doing 8 sets MWF than 12 sets M/TH. And this is isn’t like HUGE differences, but it is statistically significant in the papers. Significant in real life?…..well, maybe.

Also if your gonna run 3 on 1 off, you need to tone down the middle session or session 3 will be shit. PPL is a very demanding split. Do y’all have some of John meadows programs? Y’all see those “pump” sessions for the 2nd session of the week? Using higher reps, supersets, cables, dumbells, staying away from the barbell slag that day.

Example:
Push/slag day…hammer press/incline barbell, barbell OHP, weighted dips.

Push pump- Dumbell bench/peck deck, cable shoulder lateral/y-raise, push downs, cable oh extensions.

Pull-pump
Push-heavy
Legs-pump
Off
Pull-heavy
Push-pump
Legs-heavy
Off

Topset+ backoff works well for PPL just because you need a few variety to hit the large muscles. Flat chest press (2 sets) incline DB (2 sets) high-low cable (2 sets)…and it’s honestly more like 3 working sets…thst last feeder set before your top set is gonna give a little stimulus.

I am the PPL pro. You can modify it for whatever you need. But I’d recommend this if you want to do Arms.

Pull, push, legs, arms, off….PPAL….your not giving the biceps and triceps time to rest after back and chest day. Do legs, then hit them day 4.

Also pull, push, legs is better than push pull legs. Having back and legs away gives your back time to rest. On leg day your erectors and mid back work to support the spine, then if your hip hinging, even more back load.

And honestly, if you need more arm
Work on PPL…which most will, (I did) an easy modification to attack arms is this….

1)Biceps leading the session….chest/mid delts

2)legs

3)triceps lead session…..back/rear delt

4)off.

Shoulders suck?

1)shoulder lead….chest/tricep
2)legs
3) shoulder touch up….back/bicep.
Off.

Hams suck?

Back/hams
Push
Quads, ham touchup, biceps
Off

And a few points…..most of the literature on hypertrophy show that in a session, there is quite a big drop off in stimulus after 6-8 sets. Not that more doesn’t help, but think like the first 4 sets are 3 pointers, the next 4 sets are two pointers, and Sets beyond 8 are free throws. So if you want to do 24 sets of quads a week to specialize for 8 weeks, you’ll get more “hypertrophic points” doing 8 sets MWF than 12 sets M/TH. And this is isn’t like HUGE differences, but it is statistically significant in the papers. Significant in real life?…..well, maybe.

Also if your gonna run 3 on 1 off, you need to tone down the middle session or session 3 will be shit. PPL is a very demanding split. Do y’all have some of John meadows programs? Y’all see those “pump” sessions for the 2nd session of the week? Using higher reps, supersets, cables, dumbells, staying away from the barbell slag that day.

Example:
Push/slag day…hammer press/incline barbell, barbell OHP, weighted dips.

Push pump- Dumbell bench/peck deck, cable shoulder lateral/y-raise, push downs, cable oh extensions.

Pull-pump
Push-heavy
Legs-pump
Off
Pull-heavy
Push-pump
Legs-heavy
Off

Right on. In fact John Meadows splits are largely spin offs of PPL. I have always done like you....pull push legs. It fits well too if you need a little extra leg work I'll throw in hams with the pull day and even some front squats (as those fit well with deads anyway).

My pull day now has even turned into squat/dead/back day...almost a posterior + some quads day. Push stays pretty self explanatory and then legs.

The biggest issue I have is I do travel a lot for work so I often can only train 3 days a week. My legs and back get hit twice (to some degree) on the pull and legs day (I often throw in bb rows to leg day) but my chest/shoulders/tris only get hit once. Most people train more than 3 times a week so not a big issue.

I’m getting good ideas here

I'm not w huge Athlean x fan because imo he complicates training with bands tries to reinvent the wheel but this is a good video comparing the different splits and how they allow you to manipulate volume and frequency.

I've been training legs/push/off/pull/off/repeat for a long time. Works amazing for me but due to switch in career and therefore training in 2 different gyms I'm now gonna switch to off/push/legs/off/push/off/pull/repeat.

One push will be a little more delt dominant, the other chest. Both will include 2 or 3 sets of lat work as pushing with pumped lats gives me a lot more stability plus I need a wider back. The leg day will start with 3 sets hamstring curls, rest will be about 6 sets of quads. Pull will start with 2 sets of curls and 1 set of RDL and some heavy rows, at the end do a bit of lats.

Volume won't be very high but my legs have a hard time recovering since I walk like 20k steps each day and I really need the rest now that I'm surpassing previous all time strength numbers.

I've been training legs/push/off/pull/off/repeat for a long time. Works amazing for me but due to switch in career and therefore training in 2 different gyms I'm now gonna switch to off/push/legs/off/push/off/pull/repeat.

One push will be a little more delt dominant, the other chest. Both will include 2 or 3 sets of lat work as pushing with pumped lats gives me a lot more stability plus I need a wider back. The leg day will start with 3 sets hamstring curls, rest will be about 6 sets of quads. Pull will start with 2 sets of curls and 1 set of RDL and some heavy rows, at the end do a bit of lats.

Volume won't be very high but my legs have a hard time recovering since I walk like 20k steps each day and I really need the rest now that I'm surpassing previous all time strength numbers.

Jordan peters and the UK gang also like the push/legs/off/pull/off

^^thst really let’s you go apeshit on deadlift/SLDL/rack pulls and won’t hamper training.

Trashed hamstrings+lower back+upper back really makes ANY lifting the next day hard

Anyone have an idea how to structure a ppl to focus on delts and triceps?

I'm thinking hit rear delts first on pull, do some upright rows too. Front and side delts first on push. Then add some volume on legs day.

Push (emphasis on delts)
Pull (rear delts first)
Let's + a few sets for tri and side delts
Off
Push (emphasis on delts)
Pull
Off

Delts 4x a week?? Tris 3x??

I think frequency definitely helps bring up lagging parts but that seems a bit much. Id go twice a week but make sure you are using exercises and form that fits your body mechanics and weak points. Instead of the same delta moves you have used for years start to "get ready with it" as Dante says. And I think intensity over volume for sticking points.

Ive done both and prefer a mix.
PPL seems great for intermediate lifters but at a certain point in time, you need specialization on certain body parts....stuff that PPL cannot do.

And i'm a huge PPL fan as i'm a JP fan. I did his PPL routine for 2-3 years and had great results. Push, pull, off, legs, off, repeat.
Eventually i needed more shoulders+arms work and it evolved into a Push, off, pull, off, arm/shoulders, legs, off.

It honestly comes down to recovery and what you can or cannot handle. I think a mix of progressive overload + pump work is the best of both worlds.
So logbook the 1-2 major lifts and then use the rest as pump submaximal volume work.
I hate you mate, always giving those advice that makes me think to change all training LOL.

Anyways I do:
Pull (back + rear Delts)
Push (chest + military press + lat Delts)
Rest
Legs
Arms (pump)
Rest

On push and pull days have no arms work.
Rear and lat Delts, Tris, Bis are just 3 sets pump work 10-15 reps and when bulking i add a dropset at the end.

My big limit is my mind, i tend to not deload or stay away from the gym i love to train and i end up completely fried mentally.

So far it works great.
I hope it will fit also with my girlfriend's workout, having a spotter on a progressive overload type of training is such a plus, no matter if it's a girl or a man....

Anyone have an idea how to structure a ppl to focus on delts and triceps?

I'm thinking hit rear delts first on pull, do some upright rows too. Front and side delts first on push. Then add some volume on legs day.

Push (emphasis on delts)
Pull (rear delts first)
Let's + a few sets for tri and side delts
Off
Push (emphasis on delts)
Pull
Off
On a push day i usually do just 1 exercise for Front delts, press at smith machine. Then i have 3 sets Cable lat raises, 3 sets DB lat raises. Most of the people have too developed front delts.

Delts 4x a week?? Tris 3x??

I think frequency definitely helps bring up lagging parts but that seems a bit much. Id go twice a week but make sure you are using exercises and form that fits your body mechanics and weak points. Instead of the same delta moves you have used for years start to "get ready with it" as Dante says. And I think intensity over volume for sticking points.
Assume someone is already taking each set for the week part ( delts Tris) to failure, what do you do to increase intensity? I assume rest pause, drop sets, pre-exhaust?

Assume someone is already taking each set for the week part ( delts Tris) to failure, what do you do to increase intensity? I assume rest pause, drop sets, pre-exhaust?

Pick your poison… Dante obviously loves rest pause. Dorian was famous for forced reps. John Meadows used a lot of drop sets.

Seriously considering this after reading on Phil Hernon’s methods. Not full body, but close
Push(Quad/chest/delt/tri) A - Quads first
Pull(Lats/Hamstrings/Rears/Lower back/Biceps)
Push B (Chest/Quad/Tricep/Delt)
pull B (Hamsrrings/Back Thickness/Biceps/Rears)
Day 5 - Arm hypertrophy, calf, traps and abs
Day 6 - Rest
Day 7 - repeat

I hate you mate, always giving those advice that makes me think to change all training LOL.

Anyways I do:
Pull (back + rear Delts)
Push (chest + military press + lat Delts)
Rest
Legs
Arms (pump)
Rest

On push and pull days have no arms work.
Rear and lat Delts, Tris, Bis are just 3 sets pump work 10-15 reps and when bulking i add a dropset at the end.

My big limit is my mind, i tend to not deload or stay away from the gym i love to train and i end up completely fried mentally.

So far it works great.
I hope it will fit also with my girlfriend's workout, having a spotter on a progressive overload type of training is such a plus, no matter if it's a girl or a man....
hahaha I'm the same man. I wont deload unless EVERYTHING stalls progression-wise. Which almost never happens.
I've been pushing on this same 2 rotations for about 3 months now, I might have 1 lift or something where I might not increase reps but that only happens for 1 workout.

I will always be a sucker for a log book and the KEY to doing that is to have rotations. Right now i have 2 and rarely does stuff stop moving.

I tend to have to increase the volume on Shoulder/Arms though. Chest and back respond very well not a ton of volume, but just progressive overload. Versus those other bodyparts i kind of have to pumps and squeeze. Legs are mix.

But i'm the same, i cant stay out of the gym so it makes it hard for me to "take a week off" or to deload.

yup, for every person that says theres a study that higher frequency is better, theres another studies that says if volume is equated for during the week then its all similar.

I did ppl for the past couple years and switched to a bro split within the last 6 months. Switching was best thing i ever did. With ppl, I was an obsessor of the log book, got way stronger, but i didnt really see that huge translation to physique relative to strength. With bro split Im fuller all day long, feel less beat up, and actually making awesome progress on arms giving them their own day. Also my big thing is after working long days, i find a push/pull can be very time consuming. Bro split i jump right in after first exercise with that same muscle already pumped.
My experience exactly 💯

What do you mean exactly by "how is it in details"?

I'll answer your question as soon as I know what it is you're asking 😉
For brosplit you mean this:
  • Monday – Chest day.
  • Tuesday – Back day.
  • Wednesday – Shoulders and Traps day.
  • Thursday – Legs and Abs day.
  • Friday – Biceps, Triceps, and Forearms day.
  • Saturday – Rest day.
  • Sunday – Rest day.
Or something else?

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828