over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Q's for those over 40... training & injuries

Sassy

Featured Member/ Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Ok, I turned 47 this year... it's been some what challenging. My junior year of high school I was in a terrible car accident that broke my arm and neck. The disc between the 5th & 6th vertebra was crushed, so they took a piece of my hip bone to replace the disc and fused the 5th & 6th. After I recovered, I haven't had any problems out of it. I was very blessed to be alive and walking.

I have a lot of lower back problems. Year ago when it first started bothering me I went to a physical therapist, and I also worked with a personal trainer at my gym to learn how to strengthen my back. I have continued to this day using the stretching exercises from the physical therapist for pain management. However, it seems that lately I have more "bad" days than "good" days when it comes to pain.

I've read several of your post on adjusting you're training the older you get and have learned to "train smarter instead of harder" as I call it. No more all out hardcore training like when I was 20.

This year has been one injury after another.... hip flexor, shoulder, etc. The injuries seem to take longer to heal. I'm finding easy to get injured... I did my shoulder of all things cleaning house. I had taken a week off from the gym. :rolleyes: I'm wondering how you're dealing with injuries. How much pain do you have daily, weekly? Or what percent of the time are you in pain?

Looking forward to feedback on how you're adjusting to aging... I think I've just been mostly in denial :eek:

low back pain do you work abs with weights?

No, I don't use weights with my ab workout.

You Can Do Things To Help!

Bro Sassy,

I understand, but I also believe that there are things you can do,
so you can still be healthy and lesson the pain.

Working out should be fun and it can be.
And you can still make progress.

Here's what I found to be very helpful:

*Buy an Extra Firm Black Rumble Roller and use it daily. Both amazon and ebay sell them.

*From EliteFTS, order the JM Combo Band Package. Band training can be very difficult and still be "joint friendly". You can do tons of exercises with
bands or with bands/weights combinations.

*Become a Vegan or become more of a Vegan. 60%, 70%, or any amount is
better than 0%. You will be amazed at how good you'll feel.

Plus your injuries will get better because animal products cause inflammation. Plus the most important muscle - your heart - will thank you.

-MT

Attachments

• Time Changes Things.jpg
    Time Changes Things.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 343
Yes it does take longer to heal. I dislocated my knee few months ago. Did it once in my twenties and only took a couple weeks to get better. Now in my fifties it took about 4 months before i could squat again. I seem to spend more time stretching and warming up now before working out. And rotator warm up exercises are a must before i work chest or shoulders but i still seem to make decent progress. And yes i train smarter and listen more to my body, if i'm feeling extra pain or soreness i may even take a couple days off. Better than pushing it and chance injury. Also my eating habits have changed. Eat way more fish and veggies these days. Lot less red meat. And take a handfull of supplements every morning! ha

I just turned 50 and what helps me more than anything are rest days. I workout M-F and by right about now I'm getting sore and achy. After tomorrow's workout (Friday) I am really feeling it. So I try to do nothing on the weekend. Once in a while I will go for a run with my wife, but no weights. By Monday I am feeling recovered. Cycling in a full active recovery week on occasion is also beneficial. So many injuries and illnesses result from over training.

Good luck with your lower back issues, everyone seems to have a fix, but I have found nothing really works like rest. NSAIDS - eh, I dunno?

Warm up more, perform your reps slower, higher reps, more days off. Accept that you can't do what you did 25 years ago without consequences.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm in pain. Roughly 100% of the time. I can sleep for 1-1/2 to 2 hours at a crack if I'm lucky, then the pain wakes me up.

I have a degenerative disease, my connective tissue is turning to bone, spine is completely fused from T10-L2, and partially fused lower. Ankles are complete fused. I have a severe hunchback, so bad that I can't lay flat on a bench to press.

I can't walk for more than 20 minutes without ending up in completely unbearable agony.

I suck it up and get my training in as best I can. I know that I probably only have 5 years left before I won't be able to move. That's a pretty good motivator.

As far as injuries go: I have learned to listen to my body better, and I know when I have to back off, and go into "rehab" mode, and do extra soft tissue work, take extra recovery time, bring less intensity, etc. That's part of being able to continue training hard as you age. You realize that you're not going to lose your base level of training just because you back away from being intense for 2 weeks. It comes back. You have to allow yourself to heal.

I hope you make it through this rough patch, and can get your focus back.

EDIT: oh, yeah, I'm 51.

My home ultra-sound unit gets used frequently, almost as much as my foam roller. When dealing with more pain than i can take and still concentrate at work, I use a TENS unit(electrical stim)

HGH and/or IGF-1 really helps with healing in addition to being great for general anti-aging purposes.

I recently turned 44 and always seem to have an ache/pain here and there (shoulder, neck, back, elbow, etc.). One thing that really seems to help is using a quality foam roller after my training sessions. I spend about 5-10 minutes using it and works well alleviating the pain. The key is to use it consistently.

If you decide to purchase one, don't go cheap and spend a few bucks more for a good one. Here is the one I purchased and I highly recommend it:

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...a=X&ei=-U0WUpnnG4aJjAKylYD4Ag&ved=0CGsQ5Q0wAA

Im 49 turning 50 in Dec. I found that lots of stretching and 10 cardio before training helps. I get achy joints constantly. I still train heavy but really work my way up. I have occasional lower back pain after heavy squats. All in all ive stayed injury free. I agree with coach days off are vital for recovery. I too train m-f each body part once per week. Wear your knee elbow and wrist wraps. I wear a belt everyday too. Recently bought some adipower weightlifting shoes havent back back soreness after my last two leg workouts. I take 5 iu kefeis everyday also. In Jan. Ill start a road to the 50+ masters nationals log for us old guys. Im gonna get with shelby for my diet.

I couldn't live without my tens unit, best thing I have found for pain!

I'm 41, I've found as I get older that I have to "listen" to your body more and sometimes put a "governor" on especially when your on cycle. My body is also a lot more sensitive to the muscles being adequately hydrated. I would say in the last 3 years 90% of the time I've strained a muscle its been because I may have not had enough water, to much coffee, or energy drinks etc. I've also found pre-exhausting the muscle, especially chest, prevents me from experiencing strains that may ultimately lead to tears. Sadly the days of using 4 plates for reps on chest are over.

43 yrs old here and for me its a matter of lifting lighter weight (12-20) reps, that takes so much stress off of the joints. With me its almost like I am getting arthritis in some of my joints. My sacroiliac joint is really bad on the right side and my sacrum hurts like hell much of the time. Lifting lighter weight with more frequency helps, 2x per week on everything. I did ditch stiff leg deads because they tear up my lower back too much. Sometimes you have to let some exercises go that are causing your problems and find others to take their place. I workout at home but if I had a gym I would probably be using more machines.

Every Post Above Contains Great Advise.

I Would Add anti-Inflammatory foods/Supps.

Fresh Ginger Root Tea
Tart Cherry Juice
Fish Oil
Pine Apple

I Truly Feel (And Have Blood Tests To Support) That Using Thyroid Medication Added To Pain.

Sassy, I'll be 60 in 6 weeks or so and yes, past injuries and the wear and tear I have put on my body with the past 42 years of lifting is a big factor in my training approach anymore. Seems like the bad stuff hit the fan in my 50's. Stiffness and pain are there these days and a constant factor to deal with. I've had both shoulders cleaned, both knees, one elbow and a neck fusion at C4-C6. Both my shoulders are down to bone on bone now. My doc tells me the only option left is replacement surgery. He tells me I can still lift after this procedure, just lift much lighter. Well, hell, I can do that now and make do. If and when the pain gets to the point I feel my back is up against the wall, I may do it, but not before. My philosophy is that the pain will be there if I am training or not, so I might as well hit some weights. My training approach is different from years ago, I am not interested in breaking or even meeting my past best lifts. I train lighter and with higher reps and if the movement hurts, move on to something else. I go for the burn. Warm-ups are now important, where once, they barely existed. Rest days are more important too. My goal now is just to keep on keeping on. I still enjoy training, even with the discomforts I now deal with. Maybe that qualifies as a mental disability? :p

Last edited:
You've gives me some great advise!

I was thinking maybe I was being a wimp. LOL I'm doing a lot of what was suggested. I told Everlast this morning that I didn't think I could move in the mornings if it wasn't for my stretching. Kind of like being all kinked up. LOL

I'm agree with Brick. I think I would hurt whether I worked out or not. I continue to be dedicated to this sport no matter how I feel each morning. I try to listen to my body. When I'm feeling like I need an extra day off, I take it.

I'm doing my workout routine 12 week cycles. Then I take a week off. There are times I take an extra day during my cycle. I don't believe in "bulking" any more, so I stay "clean" year round with a few "cheat meals" when needed.

You guys are the best!!! I can always rely on PM to come through with suggestions. You ROCK! :headbang:

I'm 45. I find napping helps a lot, along with more rest days. Listen to your body and follow your instincts on rest days. HGH and gh peptides are a must to increase healing at the rate it was in your 20's. It doesn't take much at all and makes a world of difference.

keeping big solid muscle keeps my pain in check most of the time(I have 7 herniated disc), so doing only lite weights is not an option for me, I do certainly more reps than before but i still try to keep appearances, my worst nightmare is getting on a plane, seems like everything is about to collapse, only thing saving me is two or three vicodin for the trip...

I am just north of 42,and have had back and shoulder problems (including surgery) for a long time.

Here are some adjustments I made several years ago:

1. CHECK YOUR EGO. Realize that at 40+ this is no longer a sprint. You are running a marathon - ok?

2. Listen to your body. When something does not feel right - Stop the movement. I no longer push past the pain for some gain.

3. Heal yourself! Be your own physical therapist. Find movements that relieve your aches and pains. For some it is stretching and rollers...In my case, the elliptical fixes my hip pain. 20 minutes on the elliptical is a great warm-up, and I get the cardio benefit.

4. Train around your injuries. Bad shoulders? Stop standard benching. I can load the Hammer Strength and get a great chest workout without killing my shoulders.

5. Rest days. You need them. Miss a workout? Don't sweat it...Your joints will thank you for it. Also a week off from time to time is an excellent way to heal the body and re-energize yourself for the gym.

* This does not mean be lazy...It means don't beat yourself up if real life gets in the way of a workout. We never missed a workout in our 20's....

6. Realistic expectations and goals. I know my shoulders will never again be as full looking as they did in my 20's. You know what? Who cares! I am still in better shape than 98% of the people in my peer group. Something I take pride in.

I live by these words because I enjoy my gym time, therefore I do not want an injury to keep me away from something I really enjoy; benefiting both mentally and physically from.

I have not read every response in the thread, however I suspect you can pull a common theme from all the responders in this thread.

Be smart - have fun!

I find that using lower weight and higher reps allow me to still progress,use Hrt amonut and HGH,Peps

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws