YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Quad tear or muscle tear advice? Would love some insight on healing from and injury & mobility.

Unstopppable1

Registered
Newbies
Last year I had a freak accident where I tore my Quadricep tendon. It was one of the most painful experiences of my life! My Quad rolled up my leg and it was excruciating until I had surgery. Post surgery I did everything in my power to speed up the healing process. I took TB500/BPC157 & GH 2iu ED. The super supps may have healed the tendon too quickly. I experienced serious range of motion and stiffness in my leg weeks after surgery. The surgeon said my Quad healed faster than he has seen in his other patients, and he also said that it formed a lot of scar tissue (significantly more than normal)

Unfortunately, my left leg is only limited to about 120 degrees ROM. A few months after the surgery I had a manipulation under anesthesia, which is having your leg yanked in every direction by a few doctors to breakdown all the scar tissue to get FULL ROM. I had FULL ROM right after the procedure, but my leg quickly created new scar tissue and became super stiff again.

I tried various Physical therapists/experts & train/stretch my legs consistently. Unfortunately, due to the severely limited ROM my bad leg is atrophied and it is literally half the size of my good leg.

Curious if you have any insights on healing from and injury & mobility? At this point I am open to any advice and willing to do anything (short of another surgery) to heal my leg.

Is your ROM 0-120? If so that is pretty good ROM for a functional knee. Did you continue to stretch immediately after the manipulation?

I did have surgery for a minor (about 10 percent) quad tendon tear, like yours, I couldn't train for a while and it was much smaller.

keep in mind my injury was much less severe, but after a good PT and time, it is 100%. But for a while I was worried. I had a hematoma of dried blood (picture golf ball sized) above my knee cap where I banged it on a metal ramp and underneath 10% about was torn, but they couldn't tell till they went in to remove the hematoma (that was dried blood sitting on my kneecap).

But PT did work eventually. My only advice would be, to find the BEST pt. you said you have had a few, so thats maybe a sign none are any good? Do you live near a big city? If you don't have someone who is good and deals with athletes (I did) maybe look into and find out who deals with your local sports teams and see if you can see them.

The guy I have seen for years was recommended to me by a doctor for our local NFL team. I was able to see this doctor because although he works for an NFL team he also sees regular patients so I was able to get his opinion on my injury then took his recconmendation for a PT.

This was back when I hurt my shoulder (labrum), but the PT he reccomended me too I now see for any injury, quad, back, pec, shoulder, etc.

Id say physical therapists are like trainers, the top ones are amazing and then you have a bunch who are kind of a joke. Make sure to find someone who works with athletes and people who lift.

Is your ROM 0-120? If so that is pretty good ROM for a functional knee. Did you continue to stretch immediately after the manipulation?
YES 0-120. But I can't squat down to the ground, have trouble going down stairs/riding a bike and I cant even jog/run. Ideally I would like to be 140-150 degrees to do all of these basic activities. I stretched like crazy after the manipulation procedure, in fact I had physical therapy a few hours after surgery. I also used a CPM Machine and various stretching devices. Dr's say that its the scar tissue build up around my quad tendon/knee area that is making my leg stiff and limiting my ROM. I wish there was a way to break it down without having to go in for another surgery.

I did have surgery for a minor (about 10 percent) quad tendon tear, like yours, I couldn't train for a while and it was much smaller.

keep in mind my injury was much less severe, but after a good PT and time, it is 100%. But for a while I was worried. I had a hematoma of dried blood (picture golf ball sized) above my knee cap where I banged it on a metal ramp and underneath 10% about was torn, but they couldn't tell till they went in to remove the hematoma (that was dried blood sitting on my kneecap).

But PT did work eventually. My only advice would be, to find the BEST pt. you said you have had a few, so thats maybe a sign none are any good? Do you live near a big city? If you don't have someone who is good and deals with athletes (I did) maybe look into and find out who deals with your local sports teams and see if you can see them.

The guy I have seen for years was recommended to me by a doctor for our local NFL team. I was able to see this doctor because although he works for an NFL team he also sees regular patients so I was able to get his opinion on my injury then took his recconmendation for a PT.

This was back when I hurt my shoulder (labrum), but the PT he reccomended me too I now see for any injury, quad, back, pec, shoulder, etc.

Id say physical therapists are like trainers, the top ones are amazing and then you have a bunch who are kind of a joke. Make sure to find someone who works with athletes and people who lift.
Thanks for the tip and insight. I live in Manhattan, NYC so we have some great PT's here. I actually worked with 3 of them over 8 months. The One I worked with the longest trained pro athletes, UFC fighters and IFBB pros. He is by far one of the best in NY but still couldn't help me decent ROM. I tore my Quad in Feb 2020. So I am not sure if I PT can help me at this point, being close to 2 years post injury?

YES 0-120. But I can't squat down to the ground, have trouble going down stairs/riding a bike and I cant even jog/run. Ideally I would like to be 140-150 degrees to do all of these basic activities. I stretched like crazy after the manipulation procedure, in fact I had physical therapy a few hours after surgery. I also used a CPM Machine and various stretching devices. Dr's say that its the scar tissue build up around my quad tendon/knee area that is making my leg stiff and limiting my ROM. I wish there was a way to break it down without having to go in for another surgery.
Generally people are very satisfied with 0-120 after a knee replacement and can go down steps and ride bikes. Its rare to see people go to 140-150 flexion of knee. Are you continuing to stretch on a daily basis? Have you return to doing bodyweight exercises for your legs or return to leg training with lite or moderate weights? Are you in pain or is it the lack of ROM?

I would continue to stretch and return to a modified leg routine. Continuously building your strength and going through what ROM you have should slowly build over time. Don't get discouraged over people telling you about scar tissue. You can continue to break it down on your own. I would massage and do graston over your quad and tendon to help. And sometimes you can do everything right and time is the limiting factor with recovery.

Generally people are very satisfied with 0-120 after a knee replacement and can go down steps and ride bikes. Its rare to see people go to 140-150 flexion of knee. Are you continuing to stretch on a daily basis? Have you return to doing bodyweight exercises for your legs or return to leg training with lite or moderate weights? Are you in pain or is it the lack of ROM?

I would continue to stretch and return to a modified leg routine. Continuously building your strength and going through what ROM you have should slowly build over time. Don't get discouraged over people telling you about scar tissue. You can continue to break it down on your own. I would massage and do graston over your quad and tendon to help. And sometimes you can do everything right and time is the limiting factor with recovery.
Great tips! Yes I am training legs weekly but have not been stretching daily.I dont have any pain, unless I walk a long distance. Lack of ROM is my main issue. I will also try the massage and graston. Thanks!

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws