over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Quadriceps tendon rupture

Bobby Biceps

Registered
I ruptured my quadriceps tendon 4 weeks ago, had surgery two days later. I will be in a full leg cast for two more weeks, six weeks total. Who else has had this injury? How long did it take to get back to normal? I plan on rehabilitating it with bands and stationary bike, what else can I do?

I had both of mine completely rupture in Feb 2010 (bi lateral) I had 2 full leg casts for the same period of time you will. If you get a good repair its not the end of the world. I snapped mine at the same time squatting, only 405 lbs. I had already done 3 sets of 8, not even to failure, 4th set about 5th rep as I was coming out of the bottom they both popped and I crashed straight down, thank Godi had the safety bars in the rack. 405 was not a ton to me, I've done as much as 575-600 for sets of 4 about 5 years prior. Doc was puzzled why 405 would do that, later I found out the antibiotic Levaquin I'd been taking causes tendon weakening, and the theory is that and the cortisone shots I had about 2 weeks prior contributed to the weakening.
I was back squatting 225 a year later, competed in bbing in August 2011. Quads weren't what they were before, but actually prior to the injury they over powered my upper body a good bit. I have not squatted more than 365 since then, usually rep with 225 and lots of recumbent bike.
It is a bitch but just do your therapy and don't rush things and you should be fine.

Is it only on one or both quads?

Anyway, it's gonna suck and you have to mentally stay strong. Like S-L said, it's not the end of the world but it will affect you for quite some time.
I tore mine last December (both quads,) and still haven't squatted yet. I know I got the range of motion to go that deep but I still don't feel like putting weight on my back. The leg press is my weapon of choice now.

The best advice I can give you is to hit the pool as soon as you are allowed to and spend as much time in it rehabbing your injury. Nothing has helped me like exercising in the water.

Keep your head up, life goes on!

Thanks for the advice S-L and 245. Now I feel lucky to have only torn one instead of both legs like you guys.

My particular surgery ( bi ateral) was the first that had been done in my town, and first my doc had done, so he said he made sure he bolted mine down good knowing that I'd likely put it to the test as soon as I was able, so we were confident the repair would hold. Problems I have now are not related to the injury, rather years and years of heavy squats wore out my cartilage.
After casts came off I was put in adjustable braces they slowly increased the range of motion. Once I got those on life was much easier, could take them off to bathe and all. The doc said if he had it to do over again, he'd not have put casts on at al, but rather in the braces on day one. But being the first time he'd done it he didn't want to take chances. I had to get like 3 casts since the quads shrank quickly from atrophy. So you might want to ask the doc about that when you go back, they're a lot less pain in the ass

Last edited:
I am actually 12 1/2 weeks out from surgery now. After many years of heavy squats and leg presses, all it took was a fall trying to move a smith machine at the gym.
I had the adjustable brace from day 1, still wearing it but only when I go out so I don't fall and re-tear it. Just started doing light leg presses and leg curls. Got ROM back enough to ride the bike.

I asked the doc about braces. He said although its more common to use braces now than it used to be, he still gets the best results with the good old cast. He also said he didn't trust me with a brace, probably because I told him when he took my staples out at two weeks that I only took the pain meds for a couple days and was practicing rehab exercises with my good leg. Shoulda kept my mouth shut.

I am actually 12 1/2 weeks out from surgery now. After many years of heavy squats and leg presses, all it took was a fall trying to move a smith machine at the gym.
I had the adjustable brace from day 1, still wearing it but only when I go out so I don't fall and re-tear it. Just started doing light leg presses and leg curls. Got ROM back enough to ride the bike.

I tore mine from a fall too. A fall caused by getting run over by a Ford truck, a lot of guy complain that the new Ford trucks are made out of aluminum....not me!!! The people in the hospital couldn't believe nothing was broken or internally wrong. I'm extremely fortunate it could've been much worse.

You have a good story to tell people, better than mine. Plan on 12 weeks being down, it was 6.5 weeks until I could start working on ROM only (so light bending) I just got the ok last week to start strength pt. I found a biggie was getting over on the stationary bike, this allowed me to ride slowly and is making me feel stronger, like I am not going to fall all the time, this only happened about 9 days ago. I did light leg presses the other day at the gym with like 50 lbs which felt good. This isn't my first tendon tear, my advice, try to listen to the doc until its healed. Sounds easy, but if your like a normal guy, its not. My doctor told me at 12 weeks this is just finally healed but told me don't fall or it will tear again. Good luck with the recovery.

Hearing rupture and tendon makes my stomach turn after bicep and per rupture. Good luck with your recovery.

Oh man, sorry to hear that. I've torn other things, different tendon not quad but same idea applies. My only advice would be to allow it to heal and repair with the long term in mind. Rather than just trying to rush it and get back to training as soon as possible. My goal would be to let it heal best as possible, even if it takes a little longer initially. Hang in there!

I had this same injury years ago. Mine was a bi-lateral patella tendon rupture. After surgery to connect the tendons to my patellas, I was locked in leg braces for 6 weeks to allow the tendons to heal. I was not allowed to stress or bend my knees at all during that time. After 6 weeks I started rehab. I slowly got my range of motion back over the weeks. When I could bend my knees to 90º again, the braces came off and I continued with gaining strength, flexibilty and stability. Doc said I could do whatever I wanted as long as my feet were on a flat surface. I was told to never do leg extensions.

I am fine now other than two big scars over each knee. I also lost about 10º range of motion after the repair which was normal I was told. Its big, tough injury but with time, rehb and patience, you get back.

Good luck. Sux, but you will get thru. Don't think about stressing that tendon until they are fully anchored and strong again.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity