over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Quads 3x/week?

that looks like a solid workout there, is this something you use with a push pull legs split and then have a leg/pull combo day or what is the split there?
Hi there,
usually: in brackets are working sets
Legs (Ham focused) (7-9 Sets) + Back (6-7 Sets) + sometimes a touch of Biceps (1-2 sets)
Chest (6-8 Sets) + lateral delts (5 sets) + triceps ( 4-5 sets)
Legs touchup 1-2 reps short of failure (2-3 Hams, 2-3 Quads) + Back (4-6 sets) + rear delt (2-3 sets) + biceps (3-4 sets)
rest
Legs (Quad focused) (7-9 Sets) + Back (6-7 Sets) + sometimes a touch of Biceps (1-2 sets)
Legs touchup 1-2 reps short of failure (2-3 Hams, 2-3 Quads) + Back (4-6 sets) + rear delt (2-3 sets) + biceps (3-4 sets)
calves and abs usually also eod

more or less like this.
But it is not fixed.
i take breaks when necessary. Usually i can go 4on 1 off 3on 1off if i manage volume correctly and really dont overdo the legs touchup day in terms of intensity for legs.
but i might throw in a shoulder + arms day once every second rotation or something like that.. i keep it pretty flexible

It's a circular argument about semantics at this point. My view (and that of the NSCA and every other strength training organization and educational forums/schools/resources) is that using volume is a way to progressively overload. It's just math. Progressive overload isn't a "feeling".

You can absolutely progressively overload without training to failure as long as you are challenging the body to essentially "do more" over time. Weight, reps, sets.

Maybe where we are going off the rails is there must be enough mechanical tension. I'm not saying lifting an empty barbell 5 times and doing it two extra sets when all sets take zero effort is progressive overload.

That is why in my 10x3 example where you never come close to failure, you are lifting 80% plus your 1RM for 30 reps. No failure but extreme mechanical tension.

In a practical sense we are arguing about nothing. I'm saying to effectively and progressively grow and get stronger you must continue to push the body in a new place with weight, sets, or reps with "challenging" amounts of effort.
Well I never said you have to go to failure. You do have to get damn close those last 5 reps are the stimulating or effective reps.
So the further you are from failure the less effective reps you have in a set.
Again you don’t understand the difference between progressive overload and volume load.
I never said anything about feeling but you can feel when the weight moves slower and you are closing in on failure.
What is your extreme mechanical tension? It’s either less or the same.

I’m damn near close to 40. 24 hr gym doesn’t have a back extension. I would like to do that before squats to strengthen the lower back but I’m doing 3 times per week myself with the quads

Has anybody trained quads 3x a week? I've been training 2x a week and making good progress. I'm in my 40's now and do more volume training than HIT like I did when I was younger. I used to fry my legs 1 day a week and couldn't hardly walk until next leg day 6-7 days later. Now, I do still hard sets, just not beyond failure every single set, every single session. My legs are weakest bodypart.

Program for legs would be MWF for 2-3 training blocks (2-3 months). I train 5 days a week. Most other bodyparts would be trained at maintenance.

Monday - High bar squat 6-10 reps, 4-6 sets
Wednesday - Front Squat 10-15 reps, 4-6 sets
Friday - Leg extension 15-20 reps, 3 sets, Hack squats 10-20 reps, 3 sets

Looking for feedback on who it has work for or didn't work for. Things to look out for.

Thanks
Just update on this. After going 3x week quads for about a month, I couldn't keep up with recovery demands and I aborted soon after. Either too sore or had a lot of systemic fatigue build up. I know a lot of people are like, "yeah, no shit - dumb idea," but I think everything is worth experimenting on and I'm constantly looking for growth for my chicken legs...;)

That said, I went back to 2x/week and that fits just right. Next, thing I'm thinking about is having a quad dominant and hamstring (curls) day 1 and then an adductor dominant and hamstring (posterior chain movement SLDL) day 2. I would much rather experiment rather than follow someone else's template, especially on weaker body parts.

Dr.Scott has this on his fortitude training program.

You can’t train any major muscle group 3x a week and recover

Yes you can. Plenty of men have brought up weak muscle groups through higher frequency training and glutes 3x a week is standard for wellness competitors.
Glutes aren’t a major muscle group

Olympic weightlifters - train squats every day or even twice a day
Awesome when they start winning shows I’ll tune in for their training routines. If I wanted to keep my weight down control my size and build strength over all then I’ll do that

Awesome when they start winning shows I’ll tune in for their training routines. If I wanted to keep my weight down control my size and build strength over all then I’ll do that
you didn't understand - I also won't recommend quads training (hard training) 3x to anyone, let alone 7 or more times a week, but I just wanted to illustrate that the body will adapt over time to any effort we give it

You can’t train any major muscle group 3x a week and recover
I'd agree in a vacuum, but isn't it really all a dance of effort, intensity, and volume? I couldn’t really train my old “leg day” twice in 7 days, while I'm doing legs 5-7 times a week now...the volume is the same though.

I guess what I am saying is there are two conversations here; can you do a full bore "leg day" 3x a week in the context of what a normal and typical bodybuilding "leg day" is? I'd agree...hard no. Or are we talking about the frequency debate where we equalize volume and OP is looking to experiment on if a higher frequency, at an equal volume per week, will drive growth? These are really completely different questions and we are all talking about them differently.

I'd agree in a vacuum, but isn't it really all a dance of effort, intensity, and volume? I couldn’t really train my old “leg day” twice in 7 days, while I'm doing legs 5-7 times a week now...the volume is the same though.

I guess what I am saying is there are two conversations here; can you do a full bore "leg day" 3x a week in the context of what a normal and typical bodybuilding "leg day" is? I'd agree...hard no. Or are we talking about the frequency debate where we equalize volume and OP is looking to experiment on if a higher frequency, at an equal volume per week, will drive growth? These are really completely different questions and we are all talking about them differently.

Many many quads have exploded from some
Young soul reading “Super Squats” and doing the program as written.

One death squat set 3x a week, adding weight each session.

It’s just a balance of volume/frequency/intensity. Which must create a recoverable adaptive response. It’s not magic.

Go watch old Dan green videos. Monday he would front squat in the 400lbs for many sets. Wednesday pulling sumo, deficit, SLdL in the 500-600s. Friday was back squats with working sets in the 500-600s. Then add accessories.

The idea that the body couldn’t recover from 10-12 combined sets of leg press, hacks, leg curl, RDLs 3x a week is silly if calories and drugs are there. Your SOUL and willpower don’t wanna do it. Not your quads.

It’s just easier on the connective tissue, and saves time to have 1-2 leg sessions a week instead of 3x a week.

Edit: I’m agreeing with you, Im just ranting. I hate the word “optimal” training split. It doesn’t exist in real life

Many many quads have exploded from some
Young soul reading “Super Squats” and doing the program as written.

One death squat set 3x a week, adding weight each session.

It’s just a balance of volume/frequency/intensity. Which must create a recoverable adaptive response. It’s not magic.

Go watch old Dan green videos. Monday he would front squat in the 400lbs for many sets. Wednesday pulling sumo, deficit, SLdL in the 500-600s. Friday was back squats with working sets in the 500-600s. Then add accessories.

The idea that the body couldn’t recover from 10-12 combined sets of leg press, hacks, leg curl, RDLs 3x a week is silly if calories and drugs are there. Your SOUL and willpower don’t wanna do it. Not your quads.

It’s just easier on the connective tissue, and saves time to have 1-2 leg sessions a week instead of 3x a week.

Edit: I’m agreeing with you, Im just ranting. I hate the word “optimal” training split. It doesn’t exist in real life

For sure, I'm aligned with your thought process completely. I'm on 7 days in a row of hitting full body (which is extreme to a degree and not suggestion at all that is optimal), but as long as you balance those variables you pointed out you can adjust frequency to pretty high. I think you summed it up well!

The easier the workouts, the more frequent you can do it.
3x per week means you are just wanking off in the gym.
Intensity builds muscle.
I rather hit 3x per month then 3x per week.

What's optimal varies from person to person over time. And once you figure out what is optimal for you? Don't worry, in two or three months you will hit a plateau and have to figure out something else again anyway, lol.

The easier the workouts, the more frequent you can do it.
3x per week means you are just wanking off in the gym.
Intensity builds muscle.
I rather hit 3x per month then 3x per week.
I agree with this ideology you can’t blast yourself to the point of failure and beyond 3 times a week hardly 2 if you really go full tilt like on say legs. Again for sport there may be a methodology but for bodybuilding it’s not the way

Aboce is the only and final answer. Proper programming. Balance of capacity and workload over time to drive progression.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131