YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Question about Diuretics pre-Contest (Dyazide in particular)

Wayacrucis

Registered
Hey guys. So I’ve always used Dyazide as my diuretic pre-contest. Never needed to take more than half a tab. My standard protocol has been to cut out water at around 10-11:30 (PM) on Friday, with the assumption that PJ is Saturday around 10-11 AM. I start taking my Dyazide right after water intake has been cut off.

The weird thing is that I only end up pissing once or twice from when I pop my Dyazide all the way until PJ...and it’s a very small amount. Though somehow I end up getting noticeably drier. Another problem I have is that once I take Dyazide (even half a tab) carbing up becomes extremely hard. Last time I had to shit load with donuts (approx 5 donuts - 170-200g of carbs) every 3 hours. I sipped on small amounts of water and just ended up filling up on time for PJ.

Anyways, Dyazide is basically a combination of 2 diruetics

"Hydrochlorothiazide works by blocking sodium and water reabsorption in the kidneys. Triamterene is a diuretic that prevents reabsorption of sodium in exchange for potassium.”

So basically Dyazide works by blocking the reabsorption of water and sodium, while maintaining potassium levels. Now let’s narrow it down to my question...is it a bad idea to take 1/2 dyazide and continue drinking water for 3-4 hours? and afterwards take 1/2 dyazide, cut water and start shit loading? I mean according to Dyazide’s mechanism of action, I am inclined to believe that it would work better to excrete sodium and water, if you’re actually drinking water on it? Maybe that’s why I barely piss when I take it? It doesn’t seem to actually remove any water and sodium that’s in the body, but rather blocks reabsorption of water and sodium. I’d really appreciate any info on how diuretics (dyazide) in particular work by removing water and salt.

Any input guys?

Last edited:
Hey guys. So I’ve always used Dyazide as my diuretic pre-contest. Never needed to take more than half a tab. My standard protocol has been to cut out water at around 10-11:30 (PM) on Friday, with the assumption that PJ is Saturday around 10-11 AM. I start taking my Dyazide right after water intake has been cut off.

The weird thing is that I only end up pissing once or twice from when I pop my Dyazide all the way until PJ...and it’s a very small amount. Though somehow I end up getting noticeably drier. Another problem I have is that once I take Dyazide (even half a tab) carbing up becomes extremely hard. Last time I had to shit load with donuts (approx 5 donuts - 170-200g of carbs) every 3 hours. I sipped on small amounts of water and just ended up filling up on time for PJ.

Anyways, Dyazide is basically a combination of 2 diruetics

"Hydrochlorothiazide works by blocking sodium and water reabsorption in the kidneys. Triamterene is a diuretic that prevents reabsorption of sodium in exchange for potassium.”

So basically Dyazide works by blocking the reabsorption of water and sodium, while maintaining potassium levels. Now let’s narrow it down to my question...is it a bad idea to take 1/2 dyazide and continue drinking water for 3-4 hours? and afterwards take 1/2 dyazide, cut water and start shit loading? I mean according to Dyazide’s mechanism of action, I am inclined to believe that it would work better to excrete sodium and water, if you’re actually drinking water on it? Maybe that’s why I barely piss when I take it? It doesn’t seem to actually remove any water and sodium that’s in the body, but rather blocks reabsorption of water and sodium. I’d really appreciate any info on how diuretics (dyazide) in particular work by removing water and salt.

Any input guys?

several thoughts...

if you overdo the dyazide and start cramping, adding salt will fix the problem. so reabsorption is not blocked. aldactone blocks reabsorption...

you can drink water and take dyazide... nothing wrong.

most often though taken like this... cut the water at 6pm and take 1/2 dyazide. every 3-4 hours till you go to bed take 1/2 tab. sat morning if needed another 1/2 tab.

be careful with the shitload. it depends whether you will be fully depleted meaning you had very little/no carbs for several days, then you will hold less water and need less dyazide(if at all). the above protocal is when you are carbed up and you wanna loose water..

Did you cut sodium early too low? Dyazide releases sodium so if u were already sodium depleted itd make filling out very tough. Like another said dyazide doesnt block reabsorption of sodium, just releases it.

When using personally I carb load early in week to the point of spilling. Then I control water and dry out. I load mon and tues very heavy. Back to low carbs rest of week keeping sodium at normal levels. Not depleting not loading. Cut water 10pm, take 1/2 dyazide. Mind you I water load going into friday then I try to get 3 gallons friday before 10. If ive flattened out I take in about 50g low sodium carbs every time I piss during night. Once im dry and sodium depleted, for me its about 8 hrs after cutting water, I shitload. Dont overdo it though. Oh and I take another 1/2 sat upon waking. Sip water as needed Saturday. If having trouble filling out sip water 4oz at a time. Key is controlling water, not cutting water.

Did you cut sodium early too low? Dyazide releases sodium so if u were already sodium depleted itd make filling out very tough. Like another said dyazide doesnt block reabsorption of sodium, just releases it.

When using personally I carb load early in week to the point of spilling. Then I control water and dry out. I load mon and tues very heavy. Back to low carbs rest of week keeping sodium at normal levels. Not depleting not loading. Cut water 10pm, take 1/2 dyazide. Mind you I water load going into friday then I try to get 3 gallons friday before 10. If ive flattened out I take in about 50g low sodium carbs every time I piss during night. Once im dry and sodium depleted, for me its about 8 hrs after cutting water, I shitload. Dont overdo it though. Oh and I take another 1/2 sat upon waking. Sip water as needed Saturday. If having trouble filling out sip water 4oz at a time. Key is controlling water, not cutting water.

That's I hear some do. They spill on purpose by Friday night, then take the dyazide to wake up dry and still full (generally) on Saturday morning. How much do you normally spill?

Do you find that 1/2 dyazide Friday night and 1/2 dyazide Saturday morning works better than taking 1 full tab on Friday night?

That's I hear some do. They spill on purpose by Friday night, then take the dyazide to wake up dry and still full (generally) on Saturday morning. How much do you normally spill?

Do you find that 1/2 dyazide Friday night and 1/2 dyazide Saturday morning works better than taking 1 full tab on Friday night?

I've never felt the need to take a full one Friday night. Dyazide works quick so imo its easy to add more if needed. Take too much I'd worry bout flattening out too much due to sodium loss and not being able to come in full.

I spill pretty good. Tough to give numbers or anything. Last prep I took in 1200g carbs monday and I think 6-800g Tuesday. Spilled to point of abst being blurred. Keep fat low. As soon as load is done start slamming water. Min 2 gallosn day. Then 3 friday. Cut it suddenly.

If you are conditioned, you really shouldn't need to use diuretics at all. Don't rely on a diuretic to get you where you need to be.

However, in the past I've started it on Thursday while I was still drinking a good amount of water and took it up until stage time.

I would refer back to Matt Porters thread "stop ruining your contest prep"; the first 7 pages are golden. When talking about half-tabs be aware that Dyazide comes in capsules of HCTZ-Triam 37.5-25 mg or 50-25mg......red and white or just red (there are others). Maxzide comes in tablets of 37.5 mg-25mg and 75/50mg and are usually green or yellow or you may see the reverse HCTZ-Triamterene 25 mg-37.5 mg There are other generic equivalents just be aware that 1/2 a tab would be 37.5/25mg or 25/37.5mg.......that's how I use it.

shit just realized mine is hydrochlorothiazide. it releases both sodium and potassium correct?

Your missing Triamterene.......they both keep the body from absorbing too much sodium but Triamterene is potassium sparing. There is a lot of generic equivalents out there and I was reading on a couple of them that said you can't split the tabs because one half is hydrochlorothiazide and the other half is Triamterene.......we need to know exactly what we have before taking half tabs.

This tab is golden......International product. Direz

Generic Medication: BENZTHIAZIDE–TRIAMTERENE
What is Benzthiazide–Triamterene
Benzthiazide–Triamterene is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) as well as edema (fluid retention) associated with liver disease, heart failure or steroid use. This combination medication contains 2 active ingredients, Benzthiazide and Triamterene, which belong to a class of drugs called diuretics. Benzthiazide–Triamterene works by eliminating excess water out of the body and by preventing the absorption of sodium in the body. This medicine may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor. Read More>>

Benzthiazide–Triamterene 25mg–50mg
QUANTITY PRICE (US$) SAVINGS
60 Tablets $33.00

120 Tablets
$66.00 $60.00
Save $6.00

180 Tablets
$99.00 $87.75
Save $11.25

240 Tablets
$132.00 $108.00
Save $24.00

MANUFACTURER: Glaxo Smithkline

Last edited:
Dyazide is too unpredictable to me. Personally I'm a bumex guy. It works immediately and all you have to do is keep yourself full.

so how would i go about using just hydrochlorothiazide 50mg? take 50mg 8Pm fri night while cutting water out and possibly take another in the AM before prejudging? since it excretes everything including potassium and sodium, does it make sense to eat some salty carbs and banana before the pump up?

so how would i go about using just hydrochlorothiazide 50mg? take 50mg 8Pm fri night while cutting water out and possibly take another in the AM before prejudging? since it excretes everything including potassium and sodium, does it make sense to eat some salty carbs and banana before the pump up?

If that is all you got than try a test run prior to see how it works for you. One of the side effects will possibly be low blood potassium. Try sweet potato instead of bananas....there loaded with potassium. If you cut your water out and are close or are dry in the morning then yes load with fat, protein, carbs (sweet potatoes) with added sea salt/ sodium. Oh.....and this is when you use half the tab 25 mg.

Last edited:
If that is all you got than try a test run prior to see how it works for you. One of the side effects will possibly be low blood potassium. Try sweet potato instead of bananas....there loaded with potassium. If you cut your water out and are close or are dry in the morning then yes load with fat, protein, carbs (sweet potatoes) with added sea salt/ sodium. Oh.....and this is when you use half the tab 25 mg.

thank you.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner