over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Question about training glutes with a hamstring injury

Amazon Doll

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
I've been training heavy for years and the only part of my glutes that ever really seamed to grow is my medius: http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/GluteusMedius.html

So I consider my glutes a weak body part and would love to bring them up.

well I strained my hamstrings pretty bad over a year and a half ago and last week I re-injuried it pretty bad. So for awhile I will not be able to do any bend leg movements other than I can do some light weight hi rep leg extensions.

Mostly all I am doing now is upper body while I heal.

I was wondering about Glutes and a few movements I can do:
(basically anything strait legged seems ok)

pull-thrus
strait leg hip thrusts
kickbacks
hyperextensions
stiff leg deadlifts (real light weights)

I could be looking at a 6week lay-off of legs while the hammie heals.

These are what I consider pretty whimpy exercises since I can't use much weight and go heavy on them, but I wonder would doing them be better than doing nothing & if they would even make my lower glutes grow?

How about sumo style deadlifts? Those sure hit the glutes. They do give the hamstrings a pretty good workout too, so you may want to go light with them until your injury heals.

PS- DMSO sure works well on pulls/tears

I've been training heavy for years and the only part of my glutes that ever really seamed to grow is my medius: http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/GluteusMedius.html

So I consider my glutes a weak body part and would love to bring them up.

well I strained my hamstrings pretty bad over a year and a half ago and last week I re-injuried it pretty bad. So for awhile I will not be able to do any bend leg movements other than I can do some light weight hi rep leg extensions.

Mostly all I am doing now is upper body while I heal.

I was wondering about Glutes and a few movements I can do:
(basically anything strait legged seems ok)

pull-thrus
strait leg hip thrusts
kickbacks
hyperextensions
stiff leg deadlifts (real light weights)

I could be looking at a 6week lay-off of legs while the hammie heals.

These are what I consider pretty whimpy exercises since I can't use much weight and go heavy on them, but I wonder would doing them be better than doing nothing & if they would even make my lower glutes grow?

Since you say you re-unjured it pretty bad, I would stay away from exercising the lower extremity and stick primarily with some light hamstring stretching and some soft tissue mobilization to break up scar tissue build-up. Those hamstring strains can be a pain in the ass(no pun intended) and it is probably wise to let it heal properly.

How about sumo style deadlifts? Those sure hit the glutes. They do give the hamstrings a pretty good workout too, so you may want to go light with them until your injury heals.

PS- DMSO sure works well on pulls/tears

I like DMSO, it does seem like it helps. However, it makes me reek so bad that it is way too embarrasing to be around other people.

DMSO, ice, massage, Infrared, light stretching.........doing all that and when it does heal a bit better I will find a massage therapist that gan really dig in there and hopefully break up some of that scar tissue. I wonder if I have calcium deposits like I saw in a recent thread and benefit from that, I'll go look that up.

I don't want to lay off lower baody for 6 weeks :(

AD, try some cable abduction work also cable work just pulling your leg straight back with a straight leg. Works the glutes real good with minimal ham involvement. Do you have a cuff for your ankle? you will need one.

AD, try some cable abduction work also cable work
Thanks Hot Stuff! That is one of the exercises I listed, basically all of them are strait leg type movements that target the glutes. So it's worth doing them.....they are kinda wussy moves :eek:

Thanks Hot Stuff! That is one of the exercises I listed, basically all of them are strait leg type movements that target the glutes. So it's worth doing them.....they are kinda wussy moves :eek:
Try cable abduction work with 50kg and tell me how wussy they are:eek: :eek:
That shit hurts!! HAHAHAHAHA

what sort of rep range should I be shooting for with this exercise? I never did it before.

not a lot of gyms have them, but if yours does, try reverse hypers (check Louie Simmons website or Powerlifting formus for more info if you need it).
Incredible excercise...every gym should have one of their machines

Excellent machine, I have seen them in a few gyms but my small town gym doesn't have one.

I am having some good results with the exercises I listed above and not any aggrivation to my hammie if I keep the weights low and do feel my glutes sore the next day.

AD, I hope your hammie is feeling better.

I pulled my quad really bad three weeks ago, so I'm trying to decide the best way to train too. I was thinking light is better than nothing at all.

AD, I hope your hammie is feeling better.

I pulled my quad really bad three weeks ago, so I'm trying to decide the best way to train too. I was thinking light is better than nothing at all.
I'm getting in some killer workouts by completley isolating each muscle group and not doing anything that involves the hamstring....so basically NO COMPOUND MOVEMENTS!

yo can do the same to really rest your quads and hit the hamstring glute area with the exercises I listed and talk about a burn! I am really feeling it.

pull-thrus
hip thrusts & single leg hip thrusts
kickbacks
hyperextensions
stiff leg deadlifts & single leg SLDL
abductor machine

You could add in some leg curls to this and you will get a great leg workout and rest the quad

Thanks, AD... I'm going to give those a try. It was probably time for me to change my routine anyway. This will be a nice change. :)

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws