over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Question for anyone who has had Cortisone injections

Mack

Registered
I have bursitis (inflammation of the bursa) in the back of both of my knees. I can stand for no longer then 15 minutes without being in pain. Due to this I have had to stopped running. The bursitis started two months ago when I took cipro and had a bad reaction

Question : Is Cortisone safe? I am scheduled to get cortisone shots in both of my knees this Thursday. I have read that it can potentially cause ligament damage but also have read that one or two shots should do no harm.

My experience is that they are very painful and did nothing for my shoulder...good luck. :)

i personyl dont use it but know quite a few people who do use them

ironicaly its also for knee pain like yourself due to damage and ankle pain

the injections themselves are quite painful, but the pain relief they provide can be quite dramatic and helpful

unfortunaly they are only temporary, and once u start them you basicaly will be on them permanently for life if you wanna not feel pain

you also will expereince more longer term damage in the knees becoz the injections mask the extra damage you do to ur knees when continueing to walk on them or do anything

cortisone is a temporary solution, but in no way a long term solution, the best thing ive seen it used for is for football players who injure there knees during games and need to play the game of football for 2 hours, a few cortisone shots to the knees and they cant even feel there busted knee recontrsutions that need to be redone after the game

hope this helps

Last edited:
I've had three sets into my lower back around the l5/s1 and a couple other areas below.

They're quite painful considering the length and gauge of the needles. First set of shots was the most painful and helped with my pain greatly for about 8 weeks. After that it wore off rapidly and the pain worsened everyday until the next set of shots. Each set of shots was less effective at relieving my pain.

I've been off the cortisone shots for about 6 months and try to work through it. It's much better for the most part than what it was in early 2010 but still causes irritation sitting too long. I can no longer squat and limit my deadlifts to light weight high intensity high reps along with strengthening my lower back and core for support.

I had a cortisone shot in my shoulder when I was in college. I was glad I did it. My shoulder felt so much better afterward.

I know others have said their injection was painful, but mine did not hurt at all. It was a little uncomfortable but I wouldn't describe it as painful.

I've had three sets into my lower back around the l5/s1 and a couple other areas below.

They're quite painful considering the length and gauge of the needles. First set of shots was the most painful and helped with my pain greatly for about 8 weeks. After that it wore off rapidly and the pain worsened everyday until the next set of shots. Each set of shots was less effective at relieving my pain.

I've been off the cortisone shots for about 6 months and try to work through it. It's much better for the most part than what it was in early 2010 but still causes irritation sitting too long. I can no longer squat and limit my deadlifts to light weight high intensity high reps along with strengthening my lower back and core for support.
I've had two shots in the same spot and they didn't hurt much at all and gave me 8-ish months of relief. YMMV. My back was pretty bad too, right foot and leg were numb for about 6 months before the shots.

I have had one in my hip and have them a couple times a year in my lower back. Not really that painful to me because they do numb it first. It helps for a little while then my pain comes back and I have to get them again. If I didn't have these in my back I would be screwed.

I've had two shots in the same spot and they didn't hurt much at all and gave me 8-ish months of relief. YMMV. My back was pretty bad too, right foot and leg were numb for about 6 months before the shots.

guess everyone is different. id rather pin myself everyday then do a set of shots in my back. each time was 3-5 shots and each set of shots consisted of a numbing agent then the cortisone steroid.

you were plenty lucky for 8 months relief. my last set wore off in a matter of weeks and left me in agonizing pain. sciatica multiple times a do doing physical labor amongst other things. definitely improved this last year but stopped the shots in july. at $1,000 a month it wasn't worth it anymore to me to justify a couple weeks of relief.

Pull up the sides of cortizone. Its bad stuff. It will deteriorate the joint in the long term. Make it worse. Its not a solution. Its a quick fix.

Thanks for the info

The pain im getting is just a side effect of the inflammed bursa. the Cortisone is just being used to reduce the swelling. We'll see how it goes I will only get two shots max. If it dont work i'll go and get PRP therapy.

i got my first cortisone injection a few weeks ago. went to a Dr that is an orthopedic surgeon for the Seahawks. got it in the shoulder, no pain at all. i have severe arthritis and the shoulder felt better but there is still discomfort. he said there would be no long term problems as long as you wait at least 4 months between shots. the injections help soften the cartilage and make it more pliable is my understanding.

guess everyone is different. id rather pin myself everyday then do a set of shots in my back. each time was 3-5 shots and each set of shots consisted of a numbing agent then the cortisone steroid.

you were plenty lucky for 8 months relief. my last set wore off in a matter of weeks and left me in agonizing pain. sciatica multiple times a do doing physical labor amongst other things. definitely improved this last year but stopped the shots in july. at $1,000 a month it wasn't worth it anymore to me to justify a couple weeks of relief.

I agree, I am lucky. No two people respond the same to these shots as I understand it.

I have bursitis (inflammation of the bursa) in the back of both of my knees. I can stand for no longer then 15 minutes without being in pain. Due to this I have had to stopped running. The bursitis started two months ago when I took cipro and had a bad reaction

Question : Is Cortisone safe? I am scheduled to get cortisone shots in both of my knees this Thursday. I have read that it can potentially cause ligament damage but also have read that one or two shots should do no harm.

I have had two cortisone shots in my left shoulder and one in the right.

they made me feel better for a while but the pain returned and i ended up getting surgery on both shoulders.

I have read that cortisone can weaken tendons. I wouldn't get one again.

maybe trying some tb 500 or some gh can help. I'm wondering if maybe a low dose of deca can help?

Having been a pharmaceutical product manager for drugs in both categories (quinolones - Cipro) and (corticosteroids - cortisone), unfortunately you are far from the first to suffer ligament damage from Cipro.

In some cases Cipro can significantly damage the joints. It's a side effect listed in their package insert. Do a little research (ask your doc) how to treat quinolone damaged ligaments. Sorry, I haven't been in that therapeutic class for years. Also, corticosteroids are amazingly effective. But lots of side effects. If one shot doesn't work, I would be very reluctant to get a second. I would also make certain you Orthopod knows the injury is the result of Cipro. Cortiosteroids can also weaken ligaments and they may be contraindicated for your condition. And they may not. Keep researching, you don't want inflammation to turn into a tendon snap.

Good luck.

I've had injections in the shoulders, elbows, and knees. As others have said, I got the most relief from the first shots, after that they became less and less effective. Ended up getting shoulder surgery which did relieve the pain, and had my ACL reconstructed (pre-injection). I think it is worth a shot (pun intended) to try the injections, every person is different, and some do experience long term pain relief from them.

Last edited:
I have had only one cortisone injection and that was for tennis elbow it worked great for me, as it gave me both pain relief and also reduced the inflammation.. I was very skeptical as I didn't want any pain relief but after speaking to my physio after weeks of treatment he advised me to take a shot, the injection itself wasn't painful, I found out it was mixed with local anaesthetic and I have only every needed the one shot but, the tennis elbow got to the stage where I couldn't grip anything with that arm, it was truly a godsend for me..

I had a few of them in my shoulder. Not painful in that area anyway. It helps for a couple of months maybe. I can tell you this I've had incredible success with the TB-500 (Thymosin Beta 4 Peptide). I had been unable to do dumbell side lats raises, db curls, bar curls etc. even with the cortisone shots. Pressing exercises could be tolarated with the shot. Today after the tb-500 I'm able to do all the above with no discomfort ! I would give it a try!

Last edited:
Having been a pharmaceutical product manager for drugs in both categories (quinolones - Cipro) and (corticosteroids - cortisone), unfortunately you are far from the first to suffer ligament damage from Cipro.

In some cases Cipro can significantly damage the joints. It's a side effect listed in their package insert. Do a little research (ask your doc) how to treat quinolone damaged ligaments. Sorry, I haven't been in that therapeutic class for years. Also, corticosteroids are amazingly effective. But lots of side effects. If one shot doesn't work, I would be very reluctant to get a second. I would also make certain you Orthopod knows the injury is the result of Cipro. Cortiosteroids can also weaken ligaments and they may be contraindicated for your condition. And they may not. Keep researching, you don't want inflammation to turn into a tendon snap.

Good luck.

I appreciate your support bro. Its been pretty sucky since I got the side effects 4 months ago. The ortho won’t give me Cortisone - he perscribed Physical therapy and we will take it from there.

My doc is telling me that I need to strengthen my tendons (pes anserine tendon) and the bursitis should subside. I start PT in about two weeks. I have allot of HGH and I want to use it to speed up the tendon strengthening but when I shoot it my bursitis gets aggravated due to the water retention im getting on the HGH

HGH dosage is very conservative 2 IU EOD.

Anything I can do to compact the watersides from the HGH? Or maybe it would be better if I took IGF-1 long r? I've heard that Long r does not not cause water retention?

Last edited:

My cortisone shot to the shoulder was painless. I barelt know that it happened.

I felt a little better after ten minutes.

After three days I went from being a one armed cripple, to lifting heavy weights and bac to competitive martial arts.

And I'm over 40.

Too many shots in the same location will be damaging. Once every three months is too many. One every six months, or once a year is acceptable.

Good luck.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke