over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Question for Dante

heavyhitter

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I found this in a really old thread you posted on intensemuscle. You were describing technique on lat width exercises.

lat width: If some of you guys really realized lat width is all about the stretch and only secondarily pulling that weight down so you can call it a rep, you would be such the better bodybuilder for it. I guess thats all im going to really say on that subject....you want to overthink lat width here ill give you something to think about.....you know that last 12 inches or so on the return (eccentric) of a various form of chin or pulldown? Overthink that on how to work that hard (flaring/leaning back against the return/resisting against it/stretching against the return) instead of just "getting to the top so you can start your pull again "and youll end up a very happy man. Take that to the bank.

So you're basically saying we don't need full reps here? Focus on using really heavy weight...explode the positive, maybe to the top of the head area....and really resist the negative and maybe hang out in the stretch position before starting the next rep? I believe John meadows kind of does pulldowns this way too.

Anyone else who has any good Lat techniques please share them.

My back width genetically sucks and this year I've really really been focusing on very wide grip pull downs. I had to get technical because regular pull downs I just want to use the pad to help cheat.

This is what I do and you can try it if you think it could help. Face away from the leg support pads and stack, stretch all the way out at the top pick a weight that's heavy and you can really explode and squeeze the outer Lats but doesn't control you. Pull the weight down to your pecs and squeeze the fuck out of it. I love muscle rounds and drop sets with these to ramp up intensity and blood flow

I really feel like this exercise has been making my outside Lats and upper back very sore. For some reason doing it like this really works for my bio mechanics, I don't get my upper back this pumped even from Chins or any other machine.

Last edited:
Cant comment on what Dante said but I think I remember a MD recommendation of wide grip weighted hangs at the end of the workout for 30-60 seconds

EDIT: Wasnt there some "pulling method" to permanently widen the upper back?

Last edited:
I do those too big lizard. I like them the mountaindog way too where you do 8 reps facing away...and then turn around and do 8 reps. Smokes my back

Also....here's something I like to do. I use a spud inc towel strap(see pic below) I'll sit down on the ground underneath the seat and lock my knees under it. Then I'll lean forward so I have a rounded back. Then I'll pull down....lean back slightly...and supinate the handles a bit. The move feels a lot like a concentrated rack chin. Really good feeling. I like to hang out in that stretch position at the end of every set for like 30 seconds. It burns like nobody's business

I found this in a really old thread you posted on intensemuscle. You were describing technique on lat width exercises.

lat width: If some of you guys really realized lat width is all about the stretch and only secondarily pulling that weight down so you can call it a rep, you would be such the better bodybuilder for it. I guess thats all im going to really say on that subject....you want to overthink lat width here ill give you something to think about.....you know that last 12 inches or so on the return (eccentric) of a various form of chin or pulldown? Overthink that on how to work that hard (flaring/leaning back against the return/resisting against it/stretching against the return) instead of just "getting to the top so you can start your pull again "and youll end up a very happy man. Take that to the bank.

So you're basically saying we don't need full reps here? Focus on using really heavy weight...explode the positive, maybe to the top of the head area....and really resist the negative and maybe hang out in the stretch position before starting the next rep? I believe John meadows kind of does pulldowns this way too.

No i am saying you need full reps but ......if everyone who did back exercises controlled the eccentric, and paused for 2 seconds in the stretch position and really pushed into a stretch.....there would be alot of bodybuilders much happier with their lat width

to get a meaning of what Im talking about.....you can take a look at these two vids...one is a pause in the stretched position and the other is rack chins with controlled negative and stretched position

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOVNjQ6DpSa/

https://www.facebook.com/matt.kafora/videos/vb.1522246106/10208511040163152/?type=3

Ah ok....thank you for clarifying. Is the little pulse in the stretch position something you'd recommend...or was that just a little personal quirk that dusty does?

no go into the stretched position and push into it and pause for 2 seconds and then start your pull. For anything lat width wise get into the mindset of "i need to pull this down so i can control the eccentric downward to the stretch and then pull it down again"

no go into the stretched position and push into it and pause for 2 seconds and then start your pull. For anything lat width wise get into the mindset of "i need to pull this down so i can control the eccentric downward to the stretch and then pull it down again"

That's why I really like the excercise I was referring to for some reason it just gets me into the mindset of what you are referring to here

I feel like with auxillary back exercises I need to keep the weight lower and focus more on the contraction/angle. Keep the heavy weights for the compound back exercises (i.e deads, rows).

For everything else I keep the weight low to moderate and work finding the most comfortable body position to contract my back with. Dorian yates emphasizes this for back training.

For those who haven't tried these you HAVE TO.... My back is my best attribute and i've used these the last 2 seasons.....my back has really really IMROVED a lot!!!....

The Medium Supinated bar IMO is the best...in fact if you flip it over it now becomes a PRONATED grip....so you really get 2 bars in 1 .......I have all 3 sizes.....

**broken link removed**

I always pause/stretch at the top of the rep. Another good thing to do are unilateral pulldowns either with a normal long pulldown bar and you go down one side at a time or with single hands grips. Think about bringing your elbows into your sides as much as possible. Doing these means you can get a better stretch/contraction at the bottom. It also takes away any possible muscle imbalances as some can use more force on one side than the other. I also like to pulldowns facing away from the machine and arching my back over the pad.

I love rack chins,those thrown In rest paused, with weight !They should really help improve your back width!I like those and low pulley high pulls as a widow maker!

No i am saying you need full reps but ......if everyone who did back exercises controlled the eccentric, and paused for 2 seconds in the stretch position and really pushed into a stretch.....there would be alot of bodybuilders much happier with their lat width

to get a meaning of what Im talking about.....you can take a look at these two vids...one is a pause in the stretched position and the other is rack chins with controlled negative and stretched position

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOVNjQ6DpSa/

https://www.facebook.com/matt.kafora/videos/vb.1522246106/10208511040163152/?type=3
I love this if you notice he's not going all the way down you grow on the negative in the stretch but if he were in a gym where somebody was watching him that that knows everything they would tell him "you got to come down all the way to touch your chest bro are you not going to grow that way" lmao "you got to get that Peak contraction!" lol ...think about the most productive portion of a chest press where do you grow on the negative or contracting your pecs at the top?

I like this tip too, I feel it makes a relative difference.

should be "eccentric upward"....i was off to bed and wrote that quickly

Will incorporate these!

Really need to improve my back width.

Any other tips guys?

For those who haven't tried these you HAVE TO.... My back is my best attribute and i've used these the last 2 seasons.....my back has really really IMROVED a lot!!!....

The Medium Supinated bar IMO is the best...in fact if you flip it over it now becomes a PRONATED grip....so you really get 2 bars in 1 .......I have all 3 sizes.....

**broken link removed**

These bars have changed my back in the last year. I have talked 3 other guys into getting them and all noticeable changes...they are incredible.
I use the wide and the med grip both versions....crazy

These bars have changed my back in the last year. I have talked 3 other guys into getting them and all noticeable changes...they are incredible.
I use the wide and the med grip both versions....crazy

They've transformed by back. I've got 2-3 I'm willing to part with for pretty cheap. My gym finally got them after ppl asking to use mine constantly.

CG supine, Medium grip pronated, Medium grip neutral.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner