over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Question for low fat diet guys

Man, respect to all you low fat guys. If I had my choice I would never eat another carbohydrate ever! I love fats.
I love fats with high protein. I lean out nice. If you cut fats and do carbs, you have no room to maneuver. I can always smash carbs up to reload and then smash them right back down with some slin and met. Carbs are easily controlled. Plus they wreck your insulin sensitivity. Fats light me up more than carbs but I can still use carbs purposefully because they're so easily controllable. My glucose is always 60's and 70's. If I mix fats and carbs, I get fat.

I used to do good on both a higher- carb/lower-fat diet and a higher- fat/lower-carb diet. Since I had my gallbladder removed, I struggle with acid reflux and digesting fats. So I stay on a higher-carb/lower-fat diet these days. I seem to stay just as lean on the higher-carb approach as compared to the higher-fat approach.

I'm not a bodybuilder, and don't do anything other than TRT. I stay around 10% at 6' 210lbs and am happy with where I'm at. At this point in my life what works best for me is to simply monitor caloric intake, lift each muscle group 2x per week with good intensity, and to stay 100% consistent. I honestly don't notice any difference when I change the macros around very much. I have always tracked macros in Microsoft Excel to a T... tried low fat, high fat, low carb, high carb, high protein, etc. The only thing I really notice is that I get flat when I eat high protein - my body likes carbs. If I eat high carbs or high fats it results in me not being as clearheaded as I can be, and have lower energy. So I try to have a balance. What works for me is to be very accurate on caloric intake and training and stay consistent.

Fat gets a bad wrap because it is more calorie dense than carbs and protein, so in general when people eat fatty foods they tend to consume a lot more calories - correlation is not causation. You have to compare the two groups (low fat vs. high fat) when total calories and exercise are equal.

When cutting I simply drop 1,000 calories per day (either diet alone, or combination of diet and cardio), and I drop 2lbs of fat per week - like clockwork. I lift each muscle 2x per week, get 7-8 hours of sleep and don't lose much muscle at all with this approach (even with low protein).

For bulking I will add 500 calories per day, and aim for 1-1.5lb per week. I put on fat and muscle at the same time, but this also happens when I do low fat, high protein so it makes no sense to me to try and stick with a diet I hate for very little to no difference in results. If I want to stay shredded I will bulk for 3 weeks, and then do a 1 week mini-cut. So you add 3lbs of mass, and then cut 2lbs of fat in week 4 (for a gain of +1lb/month).

If I tread water in terms of caloric intake (i.e., eating around maintenance), I will not make much if any progress at all and any training I do is wasted (other than maintaining muscle). So, I make sure I'm always either in a caloric deficit or a caloric surplus.

When I'm able to exercise self control, I get as close to pure zero dietary fat as possible.

I rarely if ever eat dietary fat for nutritional purposes. It's only ever a symptom of weakness or a well earned cheat meal/day. Though I am often weak and try to utilize the long lasting, low calorie nature of sunflower seeds to allow for hours of non stop eating without going over a few hundred calories of intake.

I don't see the usefulness of dietary fat, especially when using exogenous hormones. It just goes to fat when you eat too much, and it's too easy too eat too much. Excess carbs at least can go to glycogen, sparing protein, raising insulin, stimulating T3, Igf-1, increasing exercise performance, and they very rarely, in the absence of dietary fat intake, contribute to net accruals of body fat.

When I'm able to exercise self control, I get as close to pure zero dietary fat as possible.

I rarely if ever eat dietary fat for nutritional purposes. It's only ever a symptom of weakness or a well earned cheat meal/day. Though I am often weak and try to utilize the long lasting, low calorie nature of sunflower seeds to allow for hours of non stop eating without going over a few hundred calories of intake.

I don't see the usefulness of dietary fat, especially when using exogenous hormones. It just goes to fat when you eat too much, and it's too easy too eat too much. Excess carbs at least can go to glycogen, sparing protein, raising insulin, stimulating T3, Igf-1, increasing exercise performance, and they very rarely, in the absence of dietary fat intake, contribute to net accruals of body fat.
But fats aren't needed to slow down carbs absorption so we don't have reactive hypoglycemia?

I do not fully agree with this - we have to remember that the walls of cells are mainly made of cholesterol, so too little fat in the diet will make it difficult to build muscle mass

Not on board with this at all. Some organs even prefer fats to carbs. Fats are essential. There are bad fats of course but there are also perfectly healthy fats. But if it works for you, cool.

They are called essential fatty acids for a reason….trace fats are not good for long term health. Balance your saturated/mono/polysatursted fat intake, and enough carbs to keep performance up.

My usual staples are grass fed beef, those egg lands best omega-3 eggs for saturated, avocados and olives for mono, and fish oil/krill oil.

Shelby Starnes and bleu Taylor always kept them around 0.3-0.4g per pound of body weight while adding size. As we got closer and closer to retard lean…they came
Down. I’m not a BB competitor, but I have achieved 7-8% BF many times prepping for BJJ and MMA weigh ins.

I do not fully agree with this - we have to remember that the walls of cells are mainly made of cholesterol, so too little fat in the diet will make it difficult to build muscle mass
I'd imagine that the cell walls inside lean meats have the sufficient amount of cholesterol and other lipids necessary for replenishing and repairing the same structures in our own cells
Not on board with this at all. Some organs even prefer fats to carbs. Fats are essential. There are bad fats of course but there are also perfectly healthy fats. But if it works for you, cool.
I didn't want to come across as saying fats aren't healthy. I was speaking of body composition.

I follow the old Jay Cutler approach of never really intentionally including any fat. Every carb and protein source is ideally as low fat as possible.
This is basically what I do as well. The bulk of my fat is coming from animal protein and minimal condiments. I don’t actively try and include any additional fats in my diet other than fish oil supplement.

They are called essential fatty acids for a reason….trace fats are not good for long term health. Balance your saturated/mono/polysatursted fat intake, and enough carbs to keep performance up.

My usual staples are grass fed beef, those egg lands best omega-3 eggs for saturated, avocados and olives for mono, and fish oil/krill oil.

Shelby Starnes and bleu Taylor always kept them around 0.3-0.4g per pound of body weight while adding size. As we got closer and closer to retard lean…they came
Down. I’m not a BB competitor, but I have achieved 7-8% BF many times prepping for BJJ and MMA weigh ins.
I do exactly the same, during this offseason period I decided to increase my fats a little, but in total their only sources are beef (but also very lean, not less than 95-96%) whole eggs and omega 3 (10g daily in constant supplementation) so there will be no many of them, but we will see how increasing the red meat in excess of 3x in the diet will translate into growth

I'm not a bodybuilder, and don't do anything other than TRT. I stay around 10% at 6' 210lbs and am happy with where I'm at. At this point in my life what works best for me is to simply monitor caloric intake, lift each muscle group 2x per week with good intensity, and to stay 100% consistent. I honestly don't notice any difference when I change the macros around very much. I have always tracked macros in Microsoft Excel to a T... tried low fat, high fat, low carb, high carb, high protein, etc. The only thing I really notice is that I get flat when I eat high protein - my body likes carbs. If I eat high carbs or high fats it results in me not being as clearheaded as I can be, and have lower energy. So I try to have a balance. What works for me is to be very accurate on caloric intake and training and stay consistent.

Fat gets a bad wrap because it is more calorie dense than carbs and protein, so in general when people eat fatty foods they tend to consume a lot more calories - correlation is not causation. You have to compare the two groups (low fat vs. high fat) when total calories and exercise are equal.

When cutting I simply drop 1,000 calories per day (either diet alone, or combination of diet and cardio), and I drop 2lbs of fat per week - like clockwork. I lift each muscle 2x per week, get 7-8 hours of sleep and don't lose much muscle at all with this approach (even with low protein).

For bulking I will add 500 calories per day, and aim for 1-1.5lb per week. I put on fat and muscle at the same time, but this also happens when I do low fat, high protein so it makes no sense to me to try and stick with a diet I hate for very little to no difference in results. If I want to stay shredded I will bulk for 3 weeks, and then do a 1 week mini-cut. So you add 3lbs of mass, and then cut 2lbs of fat in week 4 (for a gain of +1lb/month).

If I tread water in terms of caloric intake (i.e., eating around maintenance), I will not make much if any progress at all and any training I do is wasted (other than maintaining muscle). So, I make sure I'm always either in a caloric deficit or a caloric surplus.
Good stuff. I feel better on higher carbs as well. You mention "low protein" during cut. What is that in grams if you don't mind my asking?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws