over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Question for the 50+ year old members

I realize this is an a bit older thread but was a good read. I will be 59 in less than a month and I agree that Pesty is still in great shape! Wish I was.

It struck me when I read Alfrescos' post that I literally did all the things he said he avoided except the fat burners.

Explosive movements, Getting up to 280-290 in a "perma-bulk" only to cut down and repeat the cycle. I do believe my set points and metabolism still feel the effects when compounded with ageing.

Number one for me has been. Check....Ego....At....The.....Door. I roughly follow Pestys' routine (Although I look the friggin' opposite of him unfortunately).

Time under tension. Zero sets below 12 reps. More HammerStrength, less free weights, controlled breathing, trying to mitigate BP spikes during sets if that is even possible.

I do think it is a huge advantage doing this type lifting if you have decades of heavy training behind you.

I believe another key is flexibility. Building it into your routine, not just doing it sometimes.

Some say you can make pretty accurate judgments of someones fitness and prospects if you ask them to get down on the floor and observe how easily and in what fashion they arise.

The only thing I have added lately is liquid tumeric instead of pills. Seems to help my hips the most.

PWood

50+ took an extended layoff from all things fitness due to an injury and some serious lifestyle events.

Back in the gym now and natty (so far) and I have been using some volume training and periodization tips I got from JCutlers guide to high volume training.

I have to say even natty I feel damn good. Nothing earth shattering but progressing week by week and I am excited to hit the gym even after 12 shifts as a steel worker.

I used both extensively after both shoulder surgeries and feel they made a big difference in the speed of my rehab/recovery.

I have used both in the past - have gotten better relief from CBD oil.

Age is No Joke!
Never thought it would catch Me' but in the last 3 yrs things have most definitely Changed. Tore My Pec a few yrs back and even though I have full use with no pain getting back to my Former strength seems Impossible!
Tried getting back to the 125's X 12 on incline but decided I was only going to hurt myself if at all possible.
Went back to Pumping Iron instead of lifting weights and although my strength is in the Toilet comparitinely, My Physic remains the Same>

I have used both in the past - have gotten better relief from CBD oil.

Relief is the key word there and I agree. CBD worked VERY well for my post operative pain and helped with sleep. I hate opiates!

50+ I did everything wrong! Power competition for 22 years, then tried to lift heavy for 10 more. My whole body is killing me. Right shoulder has completely torn rear delt (supraspinatus) They won't operate because he said there is so much other damage he'd have to do a replacement. Slowly rebuilding strength by being very conservative, no lifts over my head over a few pounds. Also 3 Bad discs, detached quad tendon left leg, list goes on and on.
The good news is I finally got it in my big dumb head to workout for health and fitness. Still doing split based on Chest, legs, back, with light compound motions. Starting to feel better and better!
My Orthopedic Surgeon says the range of motion and recovery of strength is nothing short of a miracle. Nice and easy wins the race. Enjoy life.
New GF with big boobs helps!

55+ and after reading the posts I guess I am doing about the same as some not as bad as others.Training for over 30 years.Started with volume training then HIT,power body building,powerlifting.It is hard to let go of some of the no pain no gain mentality.Arthritis in hands,wrists,low back are my biggest issues.My warmup takes about 45 minutes.10 minutes on bike while moving shoulders through row,internal,external,adduction,abduction and pressing overhead withno added resistance.Then use flat bands for core and soulder warmup.Now I'm good to go.I use TUT,Peak Contraction going for the feel more than just moving weight.I use DB hangers and flat bands on DB presses.Hangers allow starting from top position and the bands add resistance at the upper range.Turns Planet Fitness 75lb DB into 125 at the top.Didn't like letting go of Deadlifts,Squats,BB Bench but have to adapt.And don't forget shoulder stretches.Check out Smashwerx on you tube for streches and rehab for all your pains.Cured my shouler pain which was really chronic bicep tendonitis.

i

In my 50's and yea, seems like a month w/o an injury is like winning the lottery :). I did drop back to working out 3 days a week. Anything more and by the end of the week my workouts would suffer.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws